Are you the smartest person you know?

Soldato
im pretty dumb ,i have a brain dead job (but 4 day weekends) but have a knack for making money ,even though i earn under £9 hour
my youngest daughter is a scientist and the stufff she does blows my mind

Associate
I've been an open critic of being able to condense "smart"-ness / intelligence into one property of a person.

I like to think there are some narrow facets of mental performance in which I can best the people I know, but don't think this extends to all pursuits or manners of thinking.
For example, I'm not fantastic at reading the room, a skill I consider intellectual. I might be able to best some others in aspects which directly correspond to my job, or in creative writing.

So I guess I still hold onto the belief that I'm smarter than everyone I know in at least one way, but they all likely have the same to say about me.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
How can you measure "smart"?

Person A is a physicist, person B is a chemist. Both are excellent in one field and mediocre in the other. Who is smartest? Person C is an expert on ancient Sumer and is fluent in 11 ancient languages. Are they smarter than A and B? Less smart?

I think the question makes sense only in terms of self-perception or as amusing nonsense (given how the post was written, which was deliberately untrue and strange).

So my answer to the question is "I don't know for certain, but probably not". I think it's unlikely that I am better than everyone I know at anything.

Soldato

Person A is a physicist, person B is a chemist. Both are excellent in one field and mediocre in the other. Who is smartest? Person C is an expert on ancient Sumer and is fluent in 11 ancient languages. Are they smarter than A and B? Less smart?

I think the question makes sense only in terms of self-perception or as amusing nonsense (given how the post was written, which was deliberately untrue and strange).

So my answer to the question is "I don't know for certain, but probably not". I think it's unlikely that I am better than everyone I know at anything.

thats a trick question - its the chemist.

as to what i do, i cannot say.

Permabanned

Chemistry is a difficult/complex field, but knowing many "dead" languages should also be considered extremely difficult.
A chemist may possess a lot of knowledge in his field but his overall contribution for the development and progress of the human race is not that clear. Even if they find a cure for a given disease.
Usually, they don't - they only work on things like food additives (which actually we don't need) or cosmetics (which we also can live without)

I consider Mr. Jacque Fresco a smart person. The person who founded The Venus Project.
I consider Mr. Nikola Tesla a smart person.

A smart person is one who can convince Presidents Trump or Putin to get rid of the fossil fuels... and now!

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Dr`s are ten a penny, we have been fixing each other for centuries, they have been very good at carving out a thou art important bracket but smart NO.

Now that being said a Dr who is fiddling around with genes is more of scientist is partly smart and even then half though they say is "Junk DNA" is just a secret code for "we do not have a f`in clue" not smart on any level really :)

Now a spod who can actually understand particle physics and the math required for all that malarkey is smart, however they mostly dress with jumpers with elbow pads and possibly smell of damp.... again not very smart.

Now the plumber who fixed my boiler saving me £400 for a new control board by telling me it this dodgy capacitor he was smart same as the techie at work who soldered in a new one for me.

Smart is relative :)

Caporegime
Lots of smart people couldn't fix a puncture on a bmx.

Thing is that is more like the stereotype nerd/geek thing... I guess maybe video game addiction might kill this off a bit in time but I'd suspect that historically some people have done better than normal in some narrow field they were drawn to because they were social outcasts and simply spent a lot more time focused on that area.

I guess this whole question is rather subjective but I don't think I could really consider someone "smart" if they lack the ability to carry out basic tasks (actually physical disabilities aside).

Some of the "smartest" (IMHO) people I know or have met are pretty well rounded, one quant I know speaks several languages, is very gifted mathematically and is also pretty talented as an artist. I don't think anyone who met her would assume she is a nerd/geek either, she's pretty sociable too.

Person A is a physicist, person B is a chemist. Both are excellent in one field and mediocre in the other. Who is smartest?

There is a ranking :D

r64DV76.png

Associate
Thing is that is more like the stereotype nerd/geek thing... I guess maybe video game addiction might kill this off a bit in time but I'd suspect that historically some people have done better than normal in some narrow field they were drawn to because they were social outcasts and simply spent a lot more time focused on that area.

I guess this whole question is rather subjective but I don't think I could really consider someone "smart" if they lack the ability to carry out basic tasks (actually physical disabilities aside).

Some of the "smartest" (IMHO) people I know or have met are pretty well rounded, one quant I know speaks several languages, is very gifted mathematically and is also pretty talented as an artist. I don't think anyone who met her would assume she is a nerd/geek either, she's pretty sociable too.

There is a ranking :D

r64DV76.png

Does her name start in M and last name start with F and likes board games?

Caporegime
there is numerous intelligence breakdowns the problem is most people who are highly intelligent also suffer from mental issues. many creative people suffer from mental illness. its a interesting subject.

Associate
I think intelligence is often confused with being educated. In all my years I haven't been able to pin down what I exactly believe real intelligence consists of.

I know some incredibly smart people in professions such as doctors, however they look at me in amazement when I tell them that I've rebuilt several engines, rewired my house or calculated the load figures for RSJs on my garden building (I work in the legal field so none of that is my trade) One even admitted (with a laugh) he messed up wiring a 3 pin plug so badly he had to call a sparky to help .

I'm amazed that anyone can believe any of that is too difficult when you have the internet at your disposal and the IQ to comprehend mechanical theory or physics.

I believe abstract thinking is a real measure of intelligence, whether that's creativity or having that ability to completely reinterpret something.

Soldato
From my circle of friends/family I've probably got the best amount of "pub quiz" style of general knowledge, where I know by a large margin a lot more about a huge amount of random things than them, but in a kind of "jack of all trades but master of non" way some of my friends have far more knowledge than myself in very specific areas.

So while I could be considered to be "smarter" due to the amount of general knowledge I know, I would consider my friends to be smarter due to their specialization.

Soldato
Everyone I meet says am the most intelligent person they have ever met but to me, am thick as two short planks in the head.

Intelligence is a bloody mill stone around your neck, I have no qualifications. But I think knowing too much and having a memory like an elephant can be burden on yourself.

Note to self must stop learning. :p

Permabanned
there is numerous intelligence breakdowns the problem is most people who are highly intelligent also suffer from mental issues. many creative people suffer from mental illness. its a interesting subject.

I don't think mental issues are connected in any way with degree of intelligence. Actually, absolutely many people with mental issues are non-intelligent.

Back
Top Bottom