1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are you worried about delidding because of warranty? Read this..

Discussion in 'CPUs' started by illuz, Aug 25, 2013.

1. illuz

Mobster

So you want to delid but you're worried about warranty? Don't worry anymore! Intel fully acknowledge delidding now, valguar from OCN (delidded thread) spoke with Intel through chat and explained his need of an RMA replacement, not through overclockers insurance either. They knew it was delidded however as long as you have the original IHS which matches the CPU you're fine. Glue it on for ease and they accept it.

He just received his replacement along with a full refund, not bad!

Read here: http://www.overclock.net/t/1313179/official-delidded-club/21390

2. hyperst

Mobster

I smell BS, so they refund and replace, I wish everyone did that.

3. Jokester

Don

Your mileage may vary!

4. Rroff

Man of Honour

Problem is people will likely abuse the **** out of this now and intel will stop doing it :S

5. Boomstick777

Capodecina

Good to know Intel will cover it, still to scared to delid my 4770K though, 4.6Ghz for benching is good enough :p.

6. Justintime

Sgarrista

I can see the logic, overclockers are a small minority so the odd cpu here and there won't hurt the bottom line as the cpu price itself is many times the manufacturing cost (minus the R&D). Keep the consumer happy and you make many times the price of a measly cpu. Not sure why they refunded it though.

7. pooley

Mobster

If they weren't cheap ******** in the first place folk wouldn't need to delid their cpu's..

8. wazza300

Caporegime

as if intel cant churn out a few 100,000 without the heatsink glued on:rolleyes:

9. bicpug

Associate

Why dont intel just sell a special version with the lid unsealed, problem solved.

10. wazza300

Caporegime

I wonder if they accept rma if they spot the cpu pcb has been cut to ribbons?

11. Marine-RX179

Capodecina

Or better yet, just PROPERLY do their CPUs and with some DECENT paste?

12. Justintime

Sgarrista

No, properly is soldered.

13. game4it

Gangster

Its not the paste thats at fault its the gap between IHS and die caused by the sealant or whatever its called :D

14. ubersonic

Capodecina

This.

15. setter

Caporegime

The paste itself cant be great either tbh. Ive seen some delidded chips run pretty much the same as when they had the lid on when conventional pastes were used. Using liquid ultra/pro gave some very high temp drops. I can remenber re pasting the chipset heatsinks on an evga 680i motherboard, there was no need to clean the old stuff off as it just crumbled and dropped of once the sink was removed. I wouldnt be in the least bit surprised if intel were using the cheapest garbage they could get hold of just to save a few dollars.

16. Marine-RX179

Capodecina

Yea I mean the sealant.

I recall reading an article saying that after delidding, people can clean up the mess fromt the sealant and use only the paste between the actual chip and the heatspread, and just rely on motherboard's lock to hold and press the headspreader down...temp is actually much better that way.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  17. tipes

Mobster

Seems to make sense :D

18. Dicehunter

Capodecina

What about those of us who bought the OEM which comes without a box and heatsink ?

19. illuz

Mobster

Then you get a years warranty, not three.

20. tbh

Wise Guy

Why would they give him a refund and a replacement? That doesn't make any sense.

Maybe he meant that they refunded his postage? Although it didn't read like that from the link you gave.