• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Argghh, bent CPU pins on 3900x

Associate
I bent over 20 pins on my CPU.
I used an eyeglass, scalpel blade and a pack of plastic playing cards.
Took hours of offering it up to the socket before finally fitting.
Still works fine.

hOBoyw3.jpg

~cw

~cw

Associate
This is quite genius

Very gently though, and take it slowly, nobody enjoys resoldering CPU pins. (ask Linus :))

Try fitting 1331 or 1200 edge contacts on that or 4094 for Threadripper :D Slot 1 was 242 :D And god help us finding a thermal solution to fit on that for a modern cpu, it'll have to be all AIO or custom waterblocks!

:D:D perhaps two or three double-sided banks of tiny contact pads in parallel along a chonky card? What a frankenconnector. Water block solution would be MINT! I think I still have the P3 somewhere, I wonder if I can bodge an EK on to it.

Last edited:
Associate
This thread has given me an anxiety attack.

For seasoned Ryzen CPU inserters, please provide detailed tips. I'm probably going to short my CPU from sweating on it (insert Jordan Peele sweating gif)

~cw

~cw

Associate
Just fingertip gentle. Careful prising out of the plastic, make sure the socket arm is fully up, and line up the arrow/triangle symbol with the same symbol on the corner of the CPU. It shouldn't require any major torque or pressure, the CPU will let you know when it's lined up ;)

Soldato
This thread has given me an anxiety attack.

For seasoned Ryzen CPU inserters, please provide detailed tips. I'm probably going to short my CPU from sweating on it (insert Jordan Peele sweating gif)

Lift up lever, make sure the alignment is correct, drop into socket, push down lever! Just don't forget to unplug from the mains first or you may find the pc booting into life immediately after the chip is clamped down and frantically looking for the wall switch to turn it off that may or may not have happened to me, still works fine though...

Soldato
Interesting. Have you got another cpu to test the board with? That kind of force would have caused damaged to the socket.

The Macro lens on the P30 Pro phone is brilliant for close up shots. Here's the 1 single bent pin I had to fix recently.

how does someone manage to bend that one specific pin in that location? usually it will be the outer most pins to the edges that take the brunt.

Associate

Ensure the processor is properly seated before locking in place, you'll be fine. As with LGA, you just have to be careful when placing the processor as the pins are delicate.

On heatsink removal if you ever have to do it, all you have to do is twist the heatsink back and forth rotationally to "break" the sticktivity of the thermal paste and it'll come right off. The key is to do it progressively, you'll feel it getting easier to twist until it breaks free. The only way you'll ever rip the CPU out of the socket still stuck to the heatsink is if you're impatient and pull it off with force.

Soldato
how does someone manage to bend that one specific pin in that location? usually it will be the outer most pins to the edges that take the brunt.

good question.

looks like someone took a screw driver to the pin :eek:

Genuinely no idea what happened to it but it wasn't going into the socket properly, took the camera to it and spotted this pin wasn't right.

Back
Top Bottom