Argh, bloody locking nuts.

Associate
The last garage I went to didn't put my locking nut back in the car, now the time has come to put new wheels on my car and I can't bloody get them off!

They're not even the bolt type, they're round with the "key" kind of fit.

I guess the only way is to either try to drill them off or take it to Ford?

Argh.

Cheers.

Soldato
If they're standard Ford locking nuts, then no doubt you can't source one from a Ford garage or even better, the bay of E :)

Soldato
Ive been to two garages for new tyres...one independent and one kwik fit and both had been able to get the locking nuts off my wheels without keys within about 30 secs...

This was with the usual tools they have.

Soldato
I have seen weird sockets that have loads of pins in.

Like those boards which you push your hand in and it leaves an imprint.

Well basically the pins get pushed about and they grip the nut. I do not know how well they work but they may just loosen the wheel nuts allowing you to remove them.

Soldato
Tesla said:

Well basically the pins get pushed about and they grip the nut. I do not know how well they work but they may just loosen the wheel nuts allowing you to remove them.

They wont work too well on his kind of locking nut, I think you mean a gatorgrip socket... :)

gatorgrip%20com%20parafusos.jpg

Soldato
His sounds like this kind of locking nut.

LockConeShortBIG.jpg

I'd normally get an impact socket thats a similar size to the nut, then hammer it onto the nut. Provided its not the kind of nut with the spinning outside cover.

Soldato
No i know the ones he means, the key has three pins that push into the nut and THEY are the only parts that exert force on the nut.

Garages can get them off though, as i forgot to give them my key when i had a flat tyre that needed doing i came back all apologetic for being a n00b, and they had got it off, and back on again, with no hassle.

Associate
moss said:
His sounds like this kind of locking nut.

I'd normally get an impact socket thats a similar size to the nut, then hammer it onto the nut. Provided its not the kind of nut with the spinning outside cover.

That's my normal approach. Did this to a friends car she bought back in November. Doesn't take very long but don't half make a racket :D

Soldato
Tesla said:

Its called a gator grip: http://www.mandp.co.uk/productInfo.aspx?catRef=530911

EDIT: Must read the whole thread in future before replying... :o

Soldato
Ford do indeed have master keys. I didn't get the key to the locking nuts when I bought my first mondeo so I had the ford garage remove the existing nuts and put new ones on for me,

They didn't charge me for removing the old ones, just the cost of the new ones so I was quite chuffed.

Back
Top Bottom