Aromatic cookery

Associate
What foods carry the most smells once cooked? I'm guessing not a lot of English dishes, although I love the smell of freshly cooked bread, and I also love the smell of curry - I get the most WOW factor when my friends come in the door and smell the cooking, if it's good...

I'm just not experienced enough yet...

And second question - what is Umami? another expat out here is raving about it, I've never heard of it

Soldato
What foods carry the most smells once cooked? I'm guessing not a lot of English dishes, although I love the smell of freshly cooked bread, and I also love the smell of curry - I get the most WOW factor when my friends come in the door and smell the cooking, if it's good...

I'm just not experienced enough yet...

And second question - what is Umami? another expat out here is raving about it, I've never heard of it
Umami is the fifth flavour (sweet, sour, salty, bitter), it's a rich meaty flavour. In asian food it's typically enhanced with MSG, which despite campaigns against it in the past, is no worse for you than salt, probably better for you in fact. Tomatoes are full of it.

Get yourself to a good Sichuan restaurant over there if you want aromatic. It's good to mix in some of the sichuan pepper dishes first to numb your taste buds a bit before the chilli dishes :D

Back
Top Bottom