Arsenal and FFP

Soldato
It's not misplaced, he has not put one penny into the club. We were self sustaining and about to increase massively in value. He has taken advantage of that and doubled his money. Whilst we slipped into mediocrity.

*This thread will more than likely be deleted or merged with the other Arsenal one.

Soldato
OP
It's not misplaced, he has not put one penny into the club. We were self sustaining and about to increase massively in value. He has taken advantage of that and doubled his money. Whilst we slipped into mediocrity.

*This thread will more than likely be deleted or merged with the other Arsenal one.

I purposely didn't add this to the Arsenal thread as it's hard to know if it infringes on the overly convoluted rules in the Arsenal thread.

Man of Honour
It's pretty clear that if it's a big enough talking point it deserves it's own thread.

As for the article i'll have to wait until the summer to judge, the sponsorship problem makes a lot of sense when you consider we signed ours way before most of the clubs above us. The only issue now is if we can command the same kind of money without the CL. I'm willing to give Emery time but it's super important to get top 4 this year if we're re-negotiating our sponsorship deals.

Soldato
OP
It's pretty clear that if it's a big enough talking point it deserves it's own thread.

As for the article i'll have to wait until the summer to judge, the sponsorship problem makes a lot of sense when you consider we signed ours way before most of the clubs above us. The only issue now is if we can command the same kind of money without the CL. I'm willing to give Emery time but it's super important to get top 4 this year if we're re-negotiating our sponsorship deals.

Personally feel top 4 is not gonna happen this year. I think we will finish 6th with United in 5th and the top 4 as they are now.

Caporegime
Right, you want to see why Kroenke is unwilling to pump his own personal wealth in? Have a read of this shambolic mismanagement and maybe you’ll realise why. It’s dsigraceful, no wonder Wenger was shown the door.

COa8WEo.jpg

Caporegime
That lists looks like something you see 16 year olds with no understanding of football finance put on twitter.
It’s rough around the edges, but it’s still a damning indictment of the management of the club over the past 4-5 years. If you’re gonna be self sufficient, you can’t throw money away the way they have been.

Don
It’s rough around the edges, but it’s still a damning indictment of the management of the club over the past 4-5 years. If you’re gonna be self sufficient, you can’t throw money away the way they have been.
It's based purely on hindsight and full of contradictions. In one breath it's criticising the club for giving a player a new deal and the next it's criticising them for not giving them a new deal. With hindsight nobody makes a bad signing.

Arsenal's single biggest issue in terms of the financial running of the club is all too often they've left themselves in situations where they cannot win. Arsenal haven't just randomly decided to let Ramsey leave on a free but they've took the decision that the cost of now keeping him just doesn't make sense. Their mistake with Ramsey, Ozil, Sanchez and the likes of Van Persie before is that the club haven't been proactive in dealing with contract stand-offs before they come to the point where they can no longer win. Players dictate terms to Arsenal, not the other way around and because of what's happened before, it's very difficult for the club to change that.

Caporegime
It's based purely on hindsight and full of contradictions. In one breath it's criticising the club for giving a player a new deal and the next it's criticising them for not giving them a new deal. With hindsight nobody makes a bad signing.

Arsenal's single biggest issue in terms of the financial running of the club is all too often they've left themselves in situations where they cannot win. Arsenal haven't just randomly decided to let Ramsey leave on a free but they've took the decision that the cost of now keeping him just doesn't make sense. Their mistake with Ramsey, Ozil, Sanchez and the likes of Van Persie before is that the club haven't been proactive in dealing with contract stand-offs before they come to the point where they can no longer win. Players dictate terms to Arsenal, not the other way around and because of what's happened before, it's very difficult for the club to change that.
Well yeah, what your saying the problems are, still boils down to bad management, which was my point in the first place.

Caporegime
Real life doesn't work like FIFA career mode. Yeah sure you can always sell players at their best for the highest amount but can you imagine the outrage if Ozil and Sanchez was sold to a rival in the PL?

Caporegime
Arsenal are being mismanaged, but that was Wenger and Wenger alone really. He makes calls on contracts, he was going through various stages of trying to prove Arsenal could compete, at one point several years back he got frustrated and started spending a lot more on individual players but his scouting team/ability to judge players has been completely lost compared to whoever was doing it back in the first 6-7 years at Arsenal. More recently he started trying to offer huge wages to keep the wrong players.

Also this whole crap about, I keep seeing as an excuse for Ozil being told that we couldn't lost Sanchez and Ozil because the fans would be outraged. We sold Sanchez to our biggest rivals (yeah we suck and oooo, derbies, but the reality is Arsenal v Utd became a thing from 96-04 that establishes them as our main rival) and.... I forgot about all those riots, all the screaming, the crying all the ... wait, nope, nothing.

The Sun and other tabloid tripe say stuff about fans being outraged, but even the few times they are, nothing happens, it's entirely irrelevant. Yet fans constantly bring up this "we had to do A because if we'd done B everyone would have been outraged". Anyone managing on such a basis should be fired. You do what's best for the team, outrage if there is any which there usually isn't, is temporary, the right decisions help your club for years and the wrong decisions hurt your club for years. Ozil should have been gotten rid of. We made him the second best paid player in the league despite being average in most games for 4 years and he's continued to be mostly ineffective. 1-2 excellent games, usually against weaker opposition, 3-4 pretty good games and a dozen terrible games from him. So sticking us with a 350k a week contract on a useless player who was always lacking physicality and motivation and is only now doing that while getting older and having more injuries... it's as bad as giving Rooney huge money when he was obviously in his decline already.

Kroenke has nothing to do with the poor decisions at Arsenal except that he should have fired Wenger 5 years earlier. Spurs are achieving FAR more on significantly less spending while also saving up to secure a larger stadium that costs a lot more. Yet Wenger's excuse for years was "oh the stadium", despite it helping Arsenal financially since day one of moving in, debt was always, at every stage, less than we brought in from extra revenue (absolute biggest year as 33million debt repayments as it was two years in one go, it's mostly around 18mil, we brought in ~50mil increased revenue almost immediately and the massive majority was from ticket sales so 95% of that is extra profit).

Wenger stopped improving players as he did early on, he stopped being able to judge a diamond in the rough and he stopped getting great deals on youngsters. We got Fabregas for next to nothing, we spent 15ml + on Walcott, AOC, etc, and then he kept throwing more money at them when neither were improving or being useful to the team.

THe problem is Kroenke couldn't fire Wenger, because the fans overwhelmingly supported him even while Wenger was making bad decision after bad decision with players such that the owner maybe even felt he couldn't fire Wenger if he wanted to but the fans left him little reason to want to fire Wenger.

Arsenal should have given Sanchez a new deal a year earlier than they offered and failing that should have sold him for 60mil in the summer... though arguably he's such a bad deal for Utd it hurts them so badly it still works out for us. We should have sold Ozil last summer and should have said in Jan, take 150k a week or find a new club this window. I honestly think he would have signed for 150k because unlike Sanchez who was playing well and got offers from three clubs.... no one actually bid for Ozil, no one actually wanted Ozil because every single other club that could provide 150k or more a week, saw him the same as I do, capable of brilliance but performs at that level so rarely he's more harm to the team than good.

Wenger kept players and threw out more wages to players who had one epic game a year thinking he could make those players perform like their one epic game all year long. Other top managers buy players based on their average performance, not a short run of form or a one off game. That is why Arsenal are insanely inconsistent compared to other teams.

Soldato
OP
STAN, If You Can't Afford To Run Arsenal Then Leave! (Robbie's RANT) | AFTV Transfer Daily

As much as the AFTV lot are passionate supports they are not really clever people. All they are doing is reading the news in the media running with it as if gospel.

The fact that Emery is insinuating we have no money this Jan and can only sing on load actually tallies up well with the article I posted which says that we at the moment have no money for xyz reasons (read article) but in the summer when the new sponsorship deals begin we will have some spending power again. Not crazy money but money available to invest.

Don't get me wrong tho, I too am disappointed they are saying there is no money to spend.

I think personally give it time and if things don't start improving your gonna start seeing Kronke out protests. But again, according to the article I posted, there is nothing he can do. He cant make cash available for us to spend.

Unless he does it the City way and get one of his companies to sponsor us. (which in it's self has fair play rules)

*Robbie does make good points tho.

The issue is what Robbie is saying goes against what the article I posted says. Not a single penny of Kronke's money can go towards player purchases. FFP says NO.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom