1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Article 13 of the EU copyright reform proposal rejected but they push ahead anyway

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by humbug, May 31, 2018.

1. StriderX

Capodecina

It would appear there’s a calculator for council votes, indeed if the UK said no, it would have been rejected.

Lol

Welp.

2. D.P.

Caporegime

You can post a quote from the article and provide the link to the original.

3. StriderX

Capodecina

Some places I think the FT does it, flat out tells you it’s infringement to repost their articles, ever since the subscription services began really.

They go as far as to disable the copy function. So even minor quoting requires fiddling with the script on the page. Gonna assume it’s going to become the norm.

4. manic111

Capodecina

Why? That's always been infringement, and most businesses have clearly decided not to make that normal.

5. mid_gen

Sgarrista

Correct headline:

Democratically elected MEPs vote to go forward with Article 13 of the EU Copyright Directive.

Don't like it? Don't vote for self-serving ******** to represent you.

6. StriderX

Capodecina

Nobody cared really though tbh. You always see on reddit or some such pay walled articles just all over the place, clearly aren’t chasing anyone.

7. manic111

Capodecina

That's my point - this gives a bit more protection to rightsholders, but practically they often don't enforce their rights anyway. I'm not sure what will in fact change in practice, but wholly agree with the theory of giving rightsholders more protection.

8. D.P.

Caporegime

That was always the law though.

The new EU rules don't change that at all, only the way search engines and the likes of Google can scour articles and reproduce content without permission.

Some websites have always disabled copying,. That is to prevent wholescale copy paste jobs. You are legally allowed to replicate small quotes from original text using a reference.

9. D.P.

Caporegime

That is their choice though. The new rules simply further protect the choices original content creators make.

10. humbug

Caporegime

11. robgmun

Capodecina

Well UKIP and Independent MEPS voted against it but where outnumbered by everyone else so...

12. StriderX

Capodecina

So... the uk voted for it, your statement is irrelevant.

Hell a lot of UKIP and their temporarily independent split offs didn’t even turn up, if they had, the uk would have voted no.

As usual their tardiness ***** the country over.

13. platypus

Caporegime

Well it will certainly be spun as EU overbearing.

Are you laughingly trying to portray UKIP MEPs as heroic? 5 UKIP MEPs didn't bother to turn up, neither did one independent. I suppose, given his track record, we should be amazed Nigel Farage could bother to show himself. There are also labour, libdem, snp and even - wait for it - conservative MEPs who voted against the final text, so I'd say that your post is entirely misleading.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  14. kindai

Soldato

Do you have the details of who did/didnt turn up to this vote and what they voted for?

15. platypus

Caporegime

https://saveyourinternet.eu/uk/

16. kindai

Soldato

17. platypus

Caporegime

Quite so. Our Politicians have, once again, let us down by abdicating their responsibilities regardless of what party they represent.

Strider reckons its not that accurate but I don't have the rollcall info to hand.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  18. StriderX

Capodecina

Seems mildly inaccurate, when I wasted some time counting it from roll call, 9 Current and ex UKIPers didn’t vote.

4 labour and 1 Tory didn’t bother either.

It was 31-26 in favour from the uk.