1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Article 13 of the EU copyright reform proposal rejected but they push ahead anyway

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by humbug, May 31, 2018.

1. dowie

Caporegime

2. Tefal

Capo Crimine

yes but it as badly worded and read likem it had been all of them

3. Tefal

Capo Crimine

unless they come with breathalyzers i doubt theyd help me.

4. Herojuana

Wise Guy

5. Nasher

Capodecina

It simply won't work, theres to much data to keep track of. Any system designed to do it would immediately be bogged down. Also you can guarantee any system someone sets up will be DDoSed to death.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
  6. Tefal

Capo Crimine

YouTube's automated anti nudity system seems to work fairly well.

And this law requires each operator to run thier own filtering dowsing it so youzd have to ddos every site in the eu.

I'll admit I'm not technical expert but is there no way for checking audio/text/images against a large database fairly quickly?

7. Nasher

Capodecina

Every single image on the internet? You can try but it would probably end up falling further and further behind trying to process it all, so in the end it's useless.

All you need to do to get around a filter like this is change something, just a few pixels or alter the colours etc. That also works on youtube. It just needs to be different than the source file.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
  8. Tefal

Capo Crimine

Not every single image on the internet images on sites that wish to operate int he eu.

GDPR has already seen a lot of sites change to "sorr y we are no longer available in the Eu"
    Your last bit doesn't work that well because YouTube automatically finds a lot of stuff even if changed hence the mirroring shinning and speeding up of shows to try and avoid it

9. Herojuana

Wise Guy

10. Nasher

Capodecina

I hope we get out before this comes in to force. I'm betting this is just the start of it :/

11. dowie

Caporegime

I guess memes in the EU will have to rely on MS paint versions going forwards:

[​IMG]

might still need to implement it if Brexit negotiations haven't collapsed and it comes in during a transition period

12. Panos

Sgarrista

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-...ws-memes-link-tax-article-13-11-a8432486.html

Articles 11 and 13 are went back to the drawing board. 318 MEPs voted against, 278 in favour.
    Is interesting article if you read who are the supporters of those articles. People like Paul McCartney....

https://www.musicbusinessworldwide....-13-to-ensure-a-sustainable-future-for-music/

Look at how proud they are about it.

Btw stay tuned here

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/oeil/popups/ficheprocedure.do?reference=2016/0280(COD)&l=en

I will post the names of the MEPs voted for Article 11 & 13. I wont be surprised if there are many British MEPs there.

13. Tefal

Capo Crimine

The financial Times article on the rejection is very interesting they co finally refer to it as simply wanting "fair renumeratipn" for producers.

Let's see how the next vote goes in september

14. Nasher

Capodecina

It's the same crap the music industry keeps pushing for though. It will pop up again under yet another name as the people behind it will continue lobbying/bribing to get it through any way they can.

15. BowdonUK

Wise Guy

https://www.theverge.com/2018/7/5/17535874/eu-copyright-law-article-11-13-rejected-first-vote

I don't understand how 278 MEP's still voted in favour of this. Who are these idiots!?

16. Evangelion

Capodecina

So, it was killed off. EU: working as intended.

All the anti-EU kids can untwist their knickers, change their sheets, and go back to bed.

17. Herojuana

Wise Guy

Yeah, some EU-benevolence-unbelievers kicked up a fuss which may have swayed the vote. Idiots

18. Martini1991

Caporegime

Sounds like democracy to me.

19. Panos

Sgarrista

I will try to find out. The EU Parliament page hasn't updated the votes yet.

But given that the legislation is primarily lobbied by the British Music Industry, I wonder how many British MEPs are among them.

Ok Found them

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/sides/getDoc.do?pubRef=-//EP//NONSGML+PV+20180705+RES-RCV+DOC+PDF+V0//EN&language=EN

Names under A8-0245/2018

(the names with the + in the paragraph).

Some Greek MEPs will have to answer at the Greek media.... :)

Check the names for British ones.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018