1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ask a stupid question - how easy is it to set up a wordpress site?

Discussion in 'HTML, Graphics & Programming' started by PlacidCasual, Nov 16, 2018.

1. PlacidCasual

Soldato

As per the title really despite having used computers and the internet since 1994 I've never had my own website. I'd like to do a little blog on my own domain name (this I already have) and in the longer term maybe next few months to a year my wife would like to use the site for a bit of online sales of some craft tat she makes and sells.

I intend just to put up occasionals stories about little projects I'm doing and stuff in the garden or our varied attempts at diffeerent crafts. I'm not after loads of hits it's just a fun side project.

With respect to any future etailing any traffic will probably be driven by my wifes presence at craft shows we're not looking to grow a significant business or anything, we both havefulltime jobs.

I've been considering Krystal witha basic package and it won't cost me much to dip my toes in I'm just a touch apprehensive having never done anything like this before.

2. AHarvey

Sgarrista

Can you use Word? Then you're already 50% of the way to using wordpress.

With Krystal you'll have 2 options to setup wordpress, you can download the files from the Wordpress site, create a database via the cpanel, upload your wordpress files and when you go to the web address it will be on the setup screen. Second option is that Krystal can install it for you via their Cpanel Web Apps.

It's well documented on how to use it, lots of help on here, if you get stuck you can create an admin account for someone here who can login and help. You can download theme's to customise the look, SEO plugins to help writing pages etc.

It really is the beginners go to content management system but it's also capable of a lot more. Regarding selling, there are plugins to help but you may be better using a dedicated selling site such as ebay/etsy/amazon etc and linking to them from your site.

3. PlacidCasual

Soldato

Thx for that @AHarvey are their any pros and cons between the 2 setup methods. I assume the database is set up on the host server.

4. Minusorange

Mobster

I've been watching a few vids and it seems surprisingly easy with elementor to get a basic wordpress setup

5. AHarvey

Sgarrista

In my experience, the built-in version is the easiest as I think it does the database side for you automatically but I can't remember as it's been a while since I've used Wordpress.

Normally, the built-in installer may not be the most up to date versions so you'll need to update it once installed.

Doing it manually you'll have a better understanding of the process and it'll be the latest version out of the box.

6. PlacidCasual

Soldato

@AHarvey Thx for taking the time to answer it’s much appreciated.

7. AHarvey

Sgarrista

not a problem.

Lots of guides and videos out there for Wordpress too and if you need any help as you go along just post in here and someone will be able to help.