1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aspartame - Dangerous or not ?

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by MassiveJim, Jan 19, 2019.

1. MassiveJim

Wise Guy

I was made aware by an online friend a few years ago about this substance and have always been wary of it since.
    The way that my mind works is that I always treat new information with complete scepticism when it is controversial like this, so at first I dismissed him almost entirely.
    But over the past few years I did look in to it a little more and came to the conclusion that it is relatively safe in low quantities.

However, I have just happened across the article in the link below and its piqued my interest on the topic again.

https://www.healthy-holistic-living...8Uy6aJNaB6zh9tzPJKPLEukj7sMbbIULIZsggKbjMHN24

Is this stuff dangerous, should I be getting it out of my house and away from my children ?
    Would love to know what you guys think about it.

2. Distracted

Wise Guy

It makes money for people in power. So of course it is safe.

3. VincentHanna

Capodecina

Aspartame is perfectly safe and has had more research carried on it than most other additions to food/drink

4. Dolph

Man of Honour

5. kayomani

Wise Guy

Monsanto didn't invent Aspartame, didn't get as far as reading the dribble in the actual text after their factually incorrect header.

Lots of the Aspartame drinks have a fair amount of caffine in, your probably best looking at trying to not getting massive amounts of that.

6. MassiveJim

Wise Guy

Did you read the article ?

For anyone who hasn't I will summarise.

GD Searle tries to get aspartame passed as safe
    rejected multiple times for 16 years
    Ronald Reagan takes office and CEO of GD Searle made part of his "team"
    new FDA Commissioner appointed
    Aspartame passed as safe

Also goes on to discover that the American Society for Clinical Nutrition is funded by a number of organisations that use aspartame in their products.

I'm not sure why it says that, but it does say this right near the start of the article

7. Dolph

Man of Honour

So standard conspiracy theory nonsense.

8. Maccapacca

Don

Someone was trying to convince me this morning fluoride was used intentionally by Hitler to placate the Jewish and that Stalin coached him into it.

9. BowdonUK

Wise Guy

Why take the risk, keep natural.

10. Poneros

Mobster

We truly don't know yet. There's simply not enough good research done on it. Unlikely to be toxic but exactly what effects it has with chronic long term use is unknown - sadly something common with nutrition knowledge. Personally I restrict myself to no more than 500ml of drinks containing it per day. Will give it up eventually.

11. StriderX

Capodecina

No. I know this is SC, but just no.

It's the most WELL RESEARCHED chemical on the planet, stop lying.

12. Rroff

Man of Honour

As far as dangerous I don't know - like most artificial flavourings and sweeteners people have varying degrees of sensitivity to them and aspartame in no different - some people can seemingly consume vast (relatively speaking) amounts of it from energy drinks, etc. for years on end with seeming no ill effect others find a notable increase in things like migraines or frequency of needing to urinate, etc. after consuming products containing any non-negligible levels of it.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
  13. StriderX

Capodecina

The biggest issue with that is whether or not you can believe the people saying it, as it's likely to be purely psychosomatic from knowing it has it in it, and are likely to believe nonsense.

While it's only a single study, there is likely a large false-positive with respect to allergies.

14. Rroff

Man of Honour

I don't really find that reassuring - it won't be the first time commercial interests have gone a long way ahead of consumer health and reports otherwise stifled until for some reason the truth has come out.

Also while not really related to consumer stuff I mean look at the history of things like asbestos and dimethylmercury - even when stuff has some degree of recognition it often for some reason takes many years for the full consequences to be taken seriously especially when there is commercial interests involved.

15. StriderX

Capodecina

Well we now live in the glorious age of the internet, revealing leaks are far easier to commit, yet there are none of note.

Comparing it to older commercial frauds when the ease of access to journals was extremely limited is a tad awkward, also there's a much wider anti-corporate attitude today aswell, so if someone want's to "expose" it, then it can't be this difficult.

16. SPG

Soldato

Too much X-files, too many studies in too many countries i think to bury it.

That being said, full fat with no added sugar all the way :) as nature intended and in moderation.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
  17. Nasher

Capodecina

They used to say smoking was safe, and sugar, asbestos, mercury, diesel. You can't believe what's "safe" when profits are involved.

There are lots of things in the home, giving off small amounts of gases etc as they degrade which are actually NOT safe. Plastics and other chemicals.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
  18. Rroff

Man of Honour

Interesting point regarding diesel - something else that has been extensively researched - there is no way the potential problems with particulates, etc. were unknown before 2012.

19. D.P.

Caporegime

They were know but some countries saught a short cut to reduced CO2.

Secondly, diesel isn't dangerous. It is isn't black and white worse than petrol. They are much the same really, cities will actually just have to ban all vehicles to meet their emissions and air quality the smartest smart cities have that as a plan.

20. Screeeech

Mobster

I think if you look at some of the better more science driven agencies that either conduct, or analyse research (Cancer research UK would be a good example) there simply is no evidence that Aspartame is bad, at this time - it just doesn't exist. You can cite all the health blogs, youtubers, etc - but when it comes to peer-reviewed, legitimate evidence, there is none that shows Aspartame causes any ill effects in humans.

It's true that every now and then, some government agency ends up hastily publishing some nonsense based on one or two sketchy studies, that results in incorrect or poor information being distributed, for example - the scare we had over things like eggs and dairy. However with Aspartame - it's been so heavily tested and it's been "out there" for so long, there would be some sort of established link by now, if it was behind any serious disease.

That doesn't mean you should allow your kids to drink 20x cans of Diet Coke a day, (can cause acid erosion to teeth, and issues like acid reflux) but on the whole - I don't think it's anything to be scared of.