1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aspartame - Dangerous or not ?

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by MassiveJim, Jan 19, 2019.

1. Nasher

Capodecina

It does appear to work quite well as a laxative.

2. krooton

Capodecina

It takes over 14 cans a day for the average person to go over the safety limit as advised by the EFSA.

If you are drinking 4 litres of pop a day, you have other issues you need to address before worrying about aspartame 'poisoning'.

3. SixTwoSix

Sgarrista

The three component parts of aspartame - aspartic acid, phenylalanine and methanol all break down fully and aren't accumulated in the body.

4. MikeTheNative

Sgarrista

It's the same, as anti vax, anti GMO, etc. Most of the people against it usually don't understand basic scientific practices and/or will cherry pick dodgy research that has already been highly criticised by everyone in the field. There is no one who will safe aspartame is a 100% safe as you can't tell if compound ever is, however the research so far suggests it's fine for human consumption in the concentrations that get put into food. If you upped it to silly levels, yeah it probably will be unsafe. If you eat too much chocolate you will die of theobromine poisoning yet I see no big warning labels on that.

5. Mercenary Keyboard Warrior

Sgarrista

We do consume chemical compounds, what we consume is collections of them.
    The body then breaks them down. We have something on site, I forget what its called but can find out, its basically the chemical (or one of them) that the body turns alcohol into. If you sniff it you end up with a headache, much like a hangover.

Artificial doesn't necessarily mean its not the same chemical as found in nature, it means it comes from a non-natural source.
    Its actually something standardised across the EU by the "naturals legislation". The US for example are well behind in this area.

6. MikeTheNative

Sgarrista

My GF's dad did an exercise in work (he works for GSK). There was a list of E-numbers then you had to guess what the food was under the bowl. Each one contained a number of e- numbers but it was all things like grapes, carrotts, lettuce etc. A lot of e-numbers naturally occur in food, which people don't seem to realise.

7. Minstadave

Capodecina

Ok now I'm not sure if you're trolling or just not very clever.

8. SixTwoSix

Sgarrista

As I posted above, #43, everything breaks down.

He's probably googling something right now to refute those rock solid facts with another copy paste wall of text from some "aspartame is evil" health site.

9. Avenged7Fold

Capodecina

I think the latter given the consistency of his postings in speakers corner - a troll would have gotten bored by now :p

LOL 'evil chemicals' logic.

10. mid_gen

Sgarrista

We don't eat chemicals? :rolleyes:

Is this the state of education in the UK these days? No wonder the country is going down the toilet.

11. 4K8KW10

Soldato

And also has zero nutrition value, whatsoever. What is the purpose of consuming something that has no value?

You are free to eat whatever poisons you prefer, just leave me alone.

12. SixTwoSix

Sgarrista

Should I not have a few cans of cider at the weekend because they have no nutritional value?

Should I not drink tea/coffee because I like them sweet but don't like the effect sugar has on my teeth if I drink a lot so use a little sweetener?

I'm not having a go at you, if anything i'm trying to make you see that the information you've read about aspartame is horribly skewed and it's not actually bad for you in any moderate sense.

13. StriderX

Capodecina

Zero nutritional value vs... diabeetus and groggyness. I'll take the former tyvm.

14. Mercenary Keyboard Warrior

Sgarrista

Its also very, very difficult to avoid chemicals in food that are far worse than aspartame anyway.
    Some chemicals sprayed on food are only safe with 1 application during the lifecycle.

Everything in moderation.

15. 4K8KW10

Soldato

The topic is the dangerous substance aspartame. Why do you skew the discussion in direction that it is not the worst?! Yes, it is not the worst because there are other poisons which only single droplets of which will instantly kill you.

Try to sweeten with honey, or sacharrin.
    If you are afraid of sugar - exercise more and drink water to clean your teeth after taking it.

16. tom_e

Man of Honour

You don't like aspartame because it's a synthetic compound with no nutritional value yet you recommend sacharrin :confused:

17. Rroff

Man of Honour

I am pretty sure some of the people I work with are - they regularly guzzle down 3x ~700ml cans of energy drink during a shift and often a 2L bottle of coke, etc. kicking about as well and that is just at work - I'm just there going WTF.

I've always been a bit puzzled why smaller levels of dextrose monohydrate aren't used more regularly - sure it doesn't taste as sweet when you've been shovelling other sugars but once you adjust stuff tastes just as sweet and a small level of it is far healthier than other sweeteners with much reduced cholesterol produced than many other forms of sugar. We seem to have ramped up sugar to unnecessarily high quantities but it doesn't take long to adjust to a lower level and then quickly most people won't notice the difference compared to how sweet things used to taste.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  18. 4K8KW10

Soldato

See, now becomes worrisome that saccharin is not safe, too ;) But, maybe less so than aspartame.

19. Minstadave

Capodecina

This is beyond stupid now.

20. tom_e

Man of Honour

What?