1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aspartame - Dangerous or not ?

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by MassiveJim, Jan 19, 2019.

1. SixTwoSix

Sgarrista

Honey has the same impact on teeth as sugar and it's not possible to go and brush my teeth after every cup of tea/coffee. My sugar concerns aren't metabolic related, they're purely dental.

FWIW...I drink about 2-3 litres of water a day and exercise 5 times a week...rowing and kettlebells if you're interested :)

I also just realised the sweetener I use in my hot drinks isn't even aspartame based (sucralose) so i don't have a horse in this race, just hate seeing the same old nonsense about aspartame.

EDIT: I'm out and done with this anyway, it's like debating with a conspiracy theorist, they've made up their mind and no matter what you post that's rock solid fact will not change their mind, someone else can continue the (pointless) battle.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  2. 4K8KW10

Soldato

According to my information, saccharin is the less toxic when compared to aspartame.

3. krooton

Caporegime

Bloody hell!

I'm a huge fan of Erythritol (obtainable in the UK, but very expensive compared to sugar) and Allulose (annoyingly, not available at all in the UK).

Both are fantastic subsitutes for sugar (thought erythritol does have limitations for things like baking), much nicer than stevia/sucralose which are easiy accesible in any large supermarket.

4. Minstadave

Capodecina

To normal people or people with extremely rare inborn errors of metabolism which you've based your utterly nonsense drivel on so far?

5. 4K8KW10

Soldato

Phenylketonuria affects around 640,000 people. I don't think it is that rare.

6. Minstadave

Capodecina

7. Werewolf

Commissario

About 1 in 10k, so as you say pretty rare :)
    You're showing a lack of understanding on statistics and what rare means.
    You're looking at 640k as a "big number must be bad" whilst either unaware or don't care that that is out of the wordlwide population.

640k out of a worldwide population of around 7 billion is about 1 in 10k, that puts it as being less common than leukemia (which is about 1 in 8k from memory), I think by most definitions that counts as rare, by comparison about 0.5-1% of people have a peanut allergy of some degree about about 3% have a seafood allergy.

8. 4K8KW10

Soldato

He said it was extremely rare. It is not.. 640,000 people can be the population of a relatively large city.

9. Minstadave

Capodecina

The medical field often compare disease prevelence using numbers of relatively large cities, it's a really useful metric.....

But relatively large cities are tiny when compared to the world population of billions. PKU is rare, trust me. Arguing whether it is extremely rare is almost as pointless as your input so far in this thread.

10. 4K8KW10

Soldato

Do you have any financial interest in the aspartame production? Do the companies that produce it and use it pay you somehow?

11. Minstadave

Capodecina

Nope. I haven't even posted my thoughts on aspartame. Just that it is insanely stupid to call it dangerous based on the fact that people with PKU can't consume it.

12. 4K8KW10

Soldato

So, you haven't seen these data then:

The argument so far was that in lower quantities it is not as dangerous, which is very doubtful because it is not the sheer quantities or bulk size that makes it not safe.
    You see the instructions - they clearly say to avoid any possible even tiny traces when dealing with it.

13. Minstadave

Capodecina

I'm out. You can't cure stupid.

Many many things will kill you in a pure form. Pure oxygen will kill you if you breath it for long enough, I remain rather partial to it however.

14. 4K8KW10

Soldato

The aspartame in your sprite is in pure form. What other form can it be? :confused:
    Leave a bottle of sprite for one week at ambient temperature and you will see all the powder on the bottle's bottom.
    Aspartame doesn't dissolve in water.

15. RDM

Capodecina

Other than the water and other flavourings? So no, not pure...

Also aspartame is soluble in water depending on the ph, do you even fact check? Sprite will be about ph 3.3 so aspartame will be very soluble.

16. 4K8KW10

Soldato

Yes. I also wanted to say about the awful taste, too.
    Did you know that it was considered by DoD as a biological-warfare neurotoxin?

I can confirm about women who drink beverages with aspartame - they report disrupted hormonal balance in their bodies, and smelly menstruations...

17. Werewolf

Commissario

At what concentrations did the DoD consider it a neurotoxin?
    I'm guessing it'd be at very high levels or directly injected into the bloodstream thus bypassing the processes that would prevent it from entering the bloodstream/being absorbed readily when ingested.

Again you seem to be assuming that because something is dangerous at one concentration, or when you're exposed to it in one way it's equally dangerous in all it's forms.

Going back to a really simple example, Mercury when heated gives off fumes that are dangerous, and if you drink it it's dangerous, however you can handle it in it's pure form for a while with bare hands if you're careful with little or no effect (remember wash your hands after), and it's safe at the levels found in many fish (as long as you don't eat too much of the fish, so once a week might be fine).

I suspect Pepper spray is classed as a chemical/biological agent by the DoD, IIRC CS/tear gas is classed as a chemical weapon under international treaties, yet both pepper spray and CS sprays are routinely used by police forces around the world, and in many countries you can buy them for personal defence against people, or even stronger concentrations of pepper spray as an anti bear deterrent.

You seem to be grasping at unrelated and individual snippets of information and completely ignoring everything else.

18. gEd

Gangster

You appear to have chosen to not quote an important ascertain from the top of that wikipedia entry. that part that says

A panel of experts set up by the European Food Safety Authority concluded in 2013 that aspartame is safe for human consumption at current levels of exposure.[4]

high concentrations of many compounds are dangerous, inc. Vitamins. What's important are the health concerns of concentrations found in food and drinks.

Personally I absolutely detest all drinks with any sweeteners in them. I think I'm hyper-sensitive to the taste which I can detect immediately.

19. muon

Capodecina

nvm

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
  20. james.miller

Capodecina

This thread is gold. 4k8kw10 is literally burying himself :D

But, remember you lot:
    Unless you happen to be 4k8kw10 of course, in which case just stick your fingers in your ears and ramble on :cool: