ASRock H81M can I Overclock my 4670k at all safley?

Soldato
is it possible to oc on this board and up the hz slightly. I'm not sure if the board can handle a slight oc?

Would be good and save upgrading the cpu for the immediate future.

Man of Honour
Possibly. I built a pc for the sister in law using a Asrock H81-HDS and that had quite a few overclocking options. My wifes Gigabyte B85M-D3H overclocks my 4670k to the same speeds as my vastly more expensive Hero VI with exactly the same settings. Give it a try, you have nothing to lose. If it won't overclock it then you have lost nothing but if it does then you can gain quite a bit.

Soldato
H81 boards have overclocking options for the G3258 which don't require as much power. They only have a 4pin power connection next to the CPU socket whereas an i5 will need the full 8pin for overclocking. I'm pretty sure the B85 has 8pin which is why you had some luck.

Man of Honour
Asrock H81 boards had overclocking options a long time before the G3258 showed up. I built the sister in laws pc just after the Haswell launch and they were present then. Even if it does only have a 4 pin socket I would still give it a try. Even a light overclock to 4Ghz is better than nothing.

Soldato
OP
Hey guys,

I think I'm going down the route of upgrading my case + MOBO to allow me to OC better.. how is the "Gigabyte Z97P-D3 Motherboard" is that an ok board for ocing?

Man of Honour
It's ok, hasn't got all the bells and whistles of the pricier boards but all you really need is to be able to change the multiplier, vcore and LLC. I would still try it with your current board first. You may get a pleasant surprise and it won't have cost you a penny. If it doesn't overclock then you will have lost nothing but if it does you can gain a lot for no money.

Have you seen this in B-grade?

Soldato
OP
It's ok, hasn't got all the bells and whistles of the pricier boards but all you really need is to be able to change the multiplier, vcore and LLC. I would still try it with your current board first. You may get a pleasant surprise and it won't have cost you a penny. If it doesn't overclock then you will have lost nothing but if it does you can gain a lot for no money.

Have you seen this in B-grade?

Thanks for the help guys, @Pasty I noticed in your sig you have the same chip, has it been really beneficial for games with overclocking?

The problem I'm having the now with my asrock motherboard is I get no prompt and cannot boot into bios from the keyboard commands :(

Is that board you linked a good one? Also can someone recommend a good case around £50 that is minalmalistic as I would need one for a atx Mobo as I have a itx one ATM.

Man of Honour
I have to admit that apart from when I built this pc it has always been overclocked. It was the first thing I did after windows was installed, updated and all the drivers installed. It has never run a game at anything less than 4.4Ghz. It will do 4.8Ghz but takes a big jump in voltage so I settled for 4.4Ghz as a day to day clockspeed. The higher clockspeed is handy for benching and kept me as top i5 in the cinebench thread until Skylake launched and even then it took a while to get beaten. I would say a 1Ghz boost in clockspeed is very beneficial though, especially as the main game that I play is extremely cpu dependant (mostly single threaded).

As for cases, the Phanteks Eclipse P400 while a tenner over budget, is a lot of case for the money.

Soldato
OP
I have to admit that apart from when I built this pc it has always been overclocked. It was the first thing I did after windows was installed, updated and all the drivers installed. It has never run a game at anything less than 4.4Ghz. It will do 4.8Ghz but takes a big jump in voltage so I settled for 4.4Ghz as a day to day clockspeed. The higher clockspeed is handy for benching and kept me as top i5 in the cinebench thread until Skylake launched and even then it took a while to get beaten. I would say a 1Ghz boost in clockspeed is very beneficial though, especially as the main game that I play is extremely cpu dependant (mostly single threaded).

As for cases, the Phanteks Eclipse P400 while a tenner over budget, is a lot of case for the money.
do you think that, the chip can clock over 4.0hz OK with the Gigabyte G1.Sniper Z87 board and a Corsair AIO? While I am trying to bear in mind its a "silicon lottery".

Also I must admit, that case is real nice and at £60 it still seems good value for money..

Soldato
OP
Bad news guys, OC have not been able to locate the motherboard, and have no alternate to offer :( They were very good and have issued a full refund for this, and due to the limitation of stock on this platform I will need to source elsewhere for now :(

for the price, how does the "MSI Z97 Gaming 3" stack up, anyone with any experience on this board?

Man of Honour
I wouldn't touch MSI boards with a bargepole. They are extremely likely to be bricked by a bios update, something that there is a good chance of having to do at some point. Asus, Gigabyte or Asrock and you can't really go wrong.

Try your Asrock H81 board.

Soldato
OP
I can't seem to get into the bios for the asrock :mad: is there any way to do so as hittting delete is just overridden and boots to windows.

I think I'm going for gigabyte Z97P-D3 motherboard. Bigger case, and a fresh install once I have got a good steady oc on the chip.

Associate
I can't seem to get into the bios for the asrock :mad: is there any way to do so as hittting delete is just overridden and boots to windows.

I think I'm going for gigabyte Z97P-D3 motherboard. Bigger case, and a fresh install once I have got a good steady oc on the chip.

Try tapping F2 instead of delete

los

los

Associate
Try tapping F2 instead of delete
Just googled it and it says press F2 as stated above. It's worth a go, I have overclocked on an H81 mobo before, although it was limitted to 1.2V, but still gave a bit of overclock on a G3258!
My 4670k was running 4.5ghz on a Z87 G1 sniper

Back
Top Bottom