Assassin's Creed: Odyssey

Soldato
Not having any problems here. I'm levelling above the story mission requirements easily without any grinding, not even getting close to clearing areas before moving on.

Abilities are unlocking nicely in line with more challenging enemies. Don't see a problem here. Origins had the same level requirement where you couldnt assassinate targets higher than you, but Odyssey you have a skill tree and gear to massively bump up your assassination damage.

I quite like having to adjust my gear and abilities depending on if I'm going to Wade into combat, or concentrate on takedowns.

Oh and screw that Boar quest :p

Soldato
If you liked Origins, you'll love Odyssey. It's stunning, and really builds on the foundations that Origins laid down. It's easily one of the best open world RPGs of this generation.

I've got slightly mixed feelings. In isolation, I absolutely love Odyssey (leveling issues aside). But I can't help but mourn Assassin's Creed. If you look back to what the first couple of games were trying to do, the original concept is well and truly dead now. Instead of being an assassin in a parkour playground, you're now a mercenary travelling a sprawling open world by horse and boat.

Associate
If you liked Origins, you'll love Odyssey. It's stunning, and really builds on the foundations that Origins laid down. It's easily one of the best open world RPGs of this generation.

I've got slightly mixed feelings. In isolation, I absolutely love Odyssey (leveling issues aside). But I can't help but mourn Assassin's Creed. If you look back to what the first couple of games were trying to do, the original concept is well and truly dead now. Instead of being an assassin in a parkour sandbox, you're now a mercenary travelling a sprawling open world by horse and boat.

You’ve sold it to me then! Lol.

Yeah I was a pc gamer when the first came out and had the best Gfx card of the time; I was blown away by the visuals, concept, and premise of the gameplay. Was totally unique. I actually liked the origins story as it was the start of the creed and made sense but this has gone even further back in time. Will see how I feel about it, I’ve purposely not read anything about the story to avoid spoilers.

My only concern is that RDR2 is out soon and I’ve still got TR to finish. Nice problem to have mind! Lol

Soldato
Still don't get the obsession about W3 and why everything needs to be compared to it. I mean, it was a good game with some really nice sidequests and dialogues and a nice world in places but the rest? The main story was lousy and plodded like hell, the graphics could get really uneven, the animations/mechanics/combat were subpar and it failed as an RPG due to poor scalling system.

Origins (in particular) and this at least have a unique setting and allow you to climb everything, that alone is better in my book than another medieval fantasy, which was worse than the books on top of that. Not perfect by any means and some mechanics are also average but Egypt was miles more captivating to explore than anything I've seen in W3, this as well.

Man of Honour

I've got slightly mixed feelings. In isolation, I absolutely love Odyssey (leveling issues aside). But I can't help but mourn Assassin's Creed. If you look back to what the first couple of games were trying to do, the original concept is well and truly dead now. Instead of being an assassin in a parkour playground, you're now a mercenary travelling a sprawling open world by horse and boat.

I actually like where the AC games have gone, I like these origins stories and really like the RPG elements. There is so much more to do in the game now.

Soldato
I actually like where the AC games have gone, I like these origins stories and really like the RPG elements. There is so much more to do in the game now.

Same, people complained that these aren't really AC games any more and I do see what they mean, but I always hated the whole Animus thing anyway. I found it really jarring to be snapped out of the historical bits and never cared about Desmond Miles and the modern Templar vs Brotherhood conflict. Other than maybe AC: Black Flag I think Origins was my favourite AC game and I'm looking forward to getting my hands on Odyssey.

Soldato
Same, people complained that these aren't really AC games any more and I do see what they mean, but I always hated the whole Animus thing anyway. I found it really jarring to be snapped out of the historical bits and never cared about Desmond Miles and the modern Templar vs Brotherhood conflict. Other than maybe AC: Black Flag I think Origins was my favourite AC game and I'm looking forward to getting my hands on Odyssey.

My sentiments exactly, the animus and current day stuff was mostly guff anyway. Black Flag was what made me keep faith with AC and Origins & Odyssey and fleshed that out remarkably well.

Soldato

I don't think anyone likes the weird, jarring, sci-fi stuff TBH. There's still too much of it in Odyssey.

Soldato
This world is glorious one if the best open world's in recent times there is just stuff everywhere to find and do , looks amazing on the one x too. I've only just scratched the surface as well, it's got a long ass intro has this game haha ....

The fluidity of going from combat to free running to stealth is so well done too, not played an assassins creed game for years but glad I've picked thus up

Soldato
Wouldn't mind giving this AC a shot - but I hated Origins, can't put a finger on why - but I have tried going back to it a few times, and I just completely dislike it. Syndicate (for me) stands head and shoulders above Origins - maybe it's to do with the setting?

Hopefully Odyssey is better.

Associate
Wouldn't mind giving this AC a shot - but I hated Origins, can't put a finger on why - but I have tried going back to it a few times, and I just completely dislike it. Syndicate (for me) stands head and shoulders above Origins - maybe it's to do with the setting?

Hopefully Odyssey is better.

Odyssey is much better than Origins imo. I liked the direction they were taking with the gameplay in Origins but the story just didn't 'grab' me (I may revisit and complete at some point). Odyssey is ticking all the right boxes for me so far. Had an epic fight when boarding a ship against 4x epic enemies - took more than 10 mins of dodging, diving, countering, healing to beat them. You feel challenged by them which is what makes this worth the while for me as before in other games you just felt 'OP'.

Shawrey

Soldato
Odyssey is much better than Origins imo. I liked the direction they were taking with the gameplay in Origins but the story just didn't 'grab' me (I may revisit and complete at some point). Odyssey is ticking all the right boxes for me so far. Had an epic fight when boarding a ship against 4x epic enemies - took more than 10 mins of dodging, diving, countering, healing to beat them. You feel challenged by them which is what makes this worth the while for me as before in other games you just felt 'OP'.

Shawrey
Yeah completely agree with the fighting aspect, even with difficulty on normal it can be challenging , but you can still feel like a badass assassin, you just have to be more patient and scout out the area with your hawk , it's a great game

Associate
Yeah completely agree with the fighting aspect, even with difficulty on normal it can be challenging , but you can still feel like a badass assassin, you just have to be more patient and scout out the area with your hawk , it's a great game

Agreed! You certainly get to know the tipping point where you realise the odds in a fight are not in your favour and the best chance is to retreat, re-position and plan another attack from a different angle. You can stealthily take a few more thug types out with a quite assassination or the bow and then attack the leaders again in open combat if your assassination damage isn't high enough for a 1hit kill (does become easier with the Critical Assassination Perk but wont always take a brute type out).

Shawrey

Soldato
I was blown away by Origins. Getting to visit the pyramids and the sphinx. Running around Alexandria, recreated at the height of its glory. It was stunning. After that? Oh look... more sand. I got bored pretty quickly, abandoning the game maybe a third of the way through?

Odyssey is a different beast. The cast of recognisable people and places is far greater. The Peloponnesian War provides a much more interesting backdrop than the story of Caesar and Cleopatra, and works as a distraction to the jarring AC sci-fi nonsense. The addition of naval combat and the development of the mercinary system help to vary the gameplay.

I've also grown to love those moments where an assassination goes completely wrong. You're perched above your target; the opportunity to strike has come. You hit the "assassinate" button, and realise (too late) that the attack won't kill the enemy. Suddenly you're fighting half a dozen soldiers, while the alarm is raised. More reinforcements appear, along with the two mercenaries who have been tracking you. One of the mercs is a couple of levels higher than you, has a pet bear, and throws fire grenades. Chaos ensues :D

Last edited:
Soldato

Shawrey

Thanks for the info. Tbh, the Greek setting of this, grabs me much more than Origins - ancient Egypt should have been amazing an epic, but I felt proper 'meh' towards it. A shame really. But growing up watching Jason and the Argonauts and Clash of the Titans (no the poo remake), is probably what's drawing me into Odyssey.

Soldato
I was blown away by Origins. Getting to visit the pyramids and the sphinx. Running around Alexandria, recreated at the height of its glory. It was stunning. After that? Oh look... more sand. I got bored pretty quickly, abandoning the game maybe a third of the way through?

Odyssey is a different beast. The cast of recognisable people and places is far greater. The Peloponnesian War provides a much more interesting backdrop than the story of Caesar and Cleopatra, and works as a distraction to the jarring AC sci-fi nonsense. The addition of naval combat and the development of the mercinary system help to vary the gameplay.

I've also grown to love those moments where an assassination goes completely wrong. You're perched above your target; the opportunity to strike has come. You hit the "assassinate" button, and realise (too late) that the attack won't kill the enemy. Suddenly you're fighting half a dozen soldiers, while the alarm is raised. More reinforcements appear, along with the two mercenaries who have been tracking you. One of the mercs is a couple of levels higher than you, has a pet bear, and throws fire grenades. Chaos ensues :D

It does sound pretty epic, and not the snore-fest I found with Origins. Might have the cave in and grab a copy!

Back
Top Bottom