Assassin's Creed: Odyssey

Associate
I'm stuck on the boar quest :(
Loads of people seem to be. I just dodged every attack, healed when it struck and attacked it from behind :D (plus the occasional kick). Went down quickly.
I just ran around shooting it with various arrows and using special attacks when it got close. Took a while but got the job done...

Found this encounter more annoying that anything else as the other little Wild Boars were just mobbing you and in waves too they just never stopped spawning :rolleyes:.

Fought the Legendary Stag after that at around level 22 and that was a proper hard fight - slayed the beast in the end though! :D.

I daren't try the Lion one yet! Trying to spec animal damage on appropriate items for that fight.

Shawrey

Caporegime
I did both the boar and the deer first time, not too much bother, did you guys ever fight the Mammoth/Elephant type creatures in Origins? They were considerably harder, especially the one that had the douchebag on top firing arrows or when you had to fight two at once :/

The key is to time dodges effectively, attack when there's an opportunity and don't go overboard with the attack spam once you start hitting. All Dark Souls style tactics :)

Soldato
Where there's any high ground near the Alpha animals, the quest becomes an absolute doddle. They can't climb. Just spec for Hunter and stand on a rock, firing arrows at them.

Associate
If you thought that was hard wait until you find Medusa........ Lol.....

Spoiler alert! :D - Look forward to that as saw her on the artwork. Wondering how we're supposed to face/beat something that petrifies you on sight? :rolleyes::rolleyes: (Kind of guessing that there's not a petrify mechanic)

Where there's any high ground near the Alpha animals, the quest becomes an absolute doddle. They can't climb. Just spec for Hunter and stand on a rock, firing arrows at them.

That's surely a cheese! Face the beasts with honour! ;);)

Shawrey

Associate
Picking this up tomorrow. Not sure what to expect but hope I get that blown away wow factor that I did with origins when just roaming round.

Associate
Wow played a few hours last night, and what a gorgeous looking game, love the feel if it - Some of the scenery is amazing :D

It is a gem of a game. I am kind of trying to forget that it is an 'Assassins Creed' game and think of this new series, along with Origins, to be flankers to the original series of games.

They could easily sell this as its own game without the AC branding and it would still do very well.

Shawrey

Soldato
I wish they had sold this without the AC branding, as a new series. Then they could have ditched the crap sci-fi stuff and tied the story even closer in to Greek myth. The Assassin's Creed lore just drags the series down and limits what they can do; everything has to tie to this nonsensical overarching story about aliens living on Earth.

The game is great. But I want more. Another time period in Hellenic history would be great; Alexander's empire, or the Seleucids. And a bunch of other cultures too; the Romans, Norse, Phoenicians, Assyrians, Persians, Mauryans, Han Dynasty, Mayans, etc. There's so many rich civilisations they could travel to. Doing it without the AC story would make things much easier as they wouldn't need to find a way to shoehorn their chosen destination in to the wider narrative.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I decided to stick with this and am glad I did, it's awesome but it does have bugs and the combat is clumsy I find. I've never played in such a beautiful World, this has no right to be just 45gb size. It will be the first Assassins Creed game I've completed since Black Flag.

Is Origins just as good as this?

Soldato
Depends how interested you are in Ptolemaic Egypt and how much you like sand :p

The game mechanics (combat, etc.) have the same basic design in both games, but Odyssey is more refined. The stuff that annoys you in Odyssey is likely to annoy you more in Origins.

Associate
I hope the next AC is set in feudal Japan, that would be awesome.

This era of games is crying out for it. Trouble is, is we have Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice and Ghosts of Tsushima (which I'll be picking up a PS4 Pro to play on) to look forward to with this setting.

Nothing would beat being able to wear Daisho Swords or Naginata and have a Samurai Longbow on Horseback. Would love the aesthetic as you could make a rogue Ronin type character or an honourable Samurai outfitted in traditional Gi and armour.

Shawrey

Soldato
I decided to stick with this and am glad I did, it's awesome but it does have bugs and the combat is clumsy I find. I've never played in such a beautiful World, this has no right to be just 45gb size. It will be the first Assassins Creed game I've completed since Black Flag.

Is Origins just as good as this?

I like Origins slightly better than this, the setting was just more atmospheric and detailed with people doing more stuff, while still being varied. The animations and combat felt a bit better as well.

Some stepbacks from Odyssey like lack of dialogue choices but overall the setting was fantastic and immensely interesting, probably the best open world I've seen.

Soldato
The combat in Origins is better, I think the combat in Odyssey is clunky and not very fluid not having the counter is really crap. Odyssey also repeats a lot of locations on the map like forts especially the smaller camps.

My favourite is still Black Flag though......

Soldato
I have pretty much done all quests now just a few cultists to find and random side quests. It’s a bit of an anticlimax tbh after the effort but still enjoyed. It’s taken me 54 hours 44 min not bad value for money. I shall finish of the cultists then that will be me done ready for RD2.....

7.5/10 is my final score.

Soldato
This era of games is crying out for it. Trouble is, is we have Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice and Ghosts of Tsushima (which I'll be picking up a PS4 Pro to play on) to look forward to with this setting.

Nothing would beat being able to wear Daisho Swords or Naginata and have a Samurai Longbow on Horseback. Would love the aesthetic as you could make a rogue Ronin type character or an honourable Samurai outfitted in traditional Gi and armour.

Shawrey

True, it could be a bit crowded with all three in that time period, particularly if they all come out next year!

Associate
HDR is great as with Origins. Bet it looks great on the X. Anyone playing it on the X. Pro here; still looks really nice.

Back
Top Bottom