Assassin's Creed: Odyssey

Soldato
Prefer the combat in Odyssey. Found it clunkier and less intuitive in origins. I know that’s not the general consensus though.

It needs shields. Spartans without shields is stupid especially as you fight them constantly. Also the option to turn off the enemy levelling with you needs to be re introduced.

I found the combat in Origins more fluid but Odyssey is not too bad it just lacks a bit of polish which the previous game had.... lol

Associate
Not ran into any XP levelling problems yet playing on hard. Thoroughly enjoying it thus far. No shield doesn’t bother me as maybe she just learned to fight without shields and I prefer the parry mechanic on Odyssey. Also I like enemies levelling with me; still really easy anyway once upgraded weapons and armour etc. Horses for corses though and I appreciate everyone’s different viewpoints. A very good game none-the-less so far.

Caporegime
I'm about 40 hours into this, level 43 IIRC and if anything I'm levelling too quickly compared to the story arc. I get distracted by all the side quests and '?' to do. Ridiculous amount of content in this game.

Got a Unicorn skin for Phobos last night, it's a bit funky :p

Soldato
Is the download content any good?

First DLC 'The Hidden Ones is meh (although it touches on more of the AC 'origins' backstory, if you're interested in that thing. It's just more of the same as the base game basically.

Second DLC 'Curse of the Pharaohs' is what a good DLC should be. Lots of content, big new areas to explore. A main story arc that takes the game somewhere quite different. It was a nice way to finish up Origins with something quite fresh.

Associate
I'm really enjoying this. I found the combat a pain at the beginning but soon got used to it.

I'm about half way through on the main quests. Decided to start doing more of the side quests last night and do a little more exploring.

Soldato
The size of this game is somewhat staggering, for someone who grew up playing Dizzy Prince of the Yolk Folk on cassette it's quite incredible to see just how far the industry has come.

Game itself is great fun, glad I went with Kassandra as her character is up there with Aloy (and much better than recent Lara Croft). I need to do a bit more ship stuff as I was really pleased to see that come back properly unlike Origins.

The challenge is going to be seeing this out before I fire up RDR2, I'm telling myself it'll mean any early RDR2 bugs are fixed but going to have to be careful avoiding spoilers.

Caporegime
Cleaving other boats in half is probably more satisfying than it should be.

I won't be starting RDR2 until I've finished with this, too risky that I won't come back to it which would be a shame as it's an outstanding game.

Associate
I’m getting RDR2 on Friday but will make sure I finish this as it’s a fantastic game and reminds me greatly of the Witcher 3 which is one of my fav games of all time. The performance is miles better on this mind you (Witcher was dreadful tbh) until after a year of patches.

So hats off to The devs for this. I think these two games will see me through until Xmas tbh. Love just exploring on games such as these!

Will be interested to see how rdr2 compares visually to this. The vistas on this are stunning.

Soldato
Was hoping I'd be done with this tomorrow so I could sell it to CEX ahead of RDR. But there's no way that's going to happen now. I could maybe finish the main story, but there's a bunch of other things I'd be abandoning in order to get it done.

I'm giving myself the weekend, then it's going to CEX by post (unless the price holds; then it'll go in store). Looking at what's coming in November, if I don't finish Odyssey before I start RDR2, it won't get finished until some time next year. I'd be as well just picking it up again when it's £20 or waiting for a bundle with the DLC.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Anyone else having problems starting the Black Wind weekly event? I can't even find it on the message boards in game :/

Spoke to Ubi support, they told me to follow the Xbox troubleshooting FAQs (things like power cycle console and disconnect from the internet - lol).

Associate
Loving this game, Im 50+ hours in and currently level 47. I have done all the "?" in every area that i have been and still looks like i have so much to do! Story is much better than the last assassins creed, and side quests are better too.

Apart from upgrading my ship, i have not used any materials or gold for anything. Not felt the need to upgrade my armor level or add the stat upgrades as you seem to get gear so quickly anyway. Not sure if that's a good thing or bad thing or if their will be a use for all my materials and gold when i complete the main story? I am playing it on hard without the location helper thing.

Soldato
Main quest line done after 60 hours. There's still a couple of mainland regions I haven't visited, and at least half a dozen islands. Going to try and finish off the Cult and Artifact quest lines, and move on to RDR.

Soldato
Starting it this weekend. I've read pretty much every review going for RDR and my initial concerns are addressed too often (feeling like a chore to play with clumsy controls and overly boring maintenance tasks) .

Oddyysey will be much better for dipping in and out.

Soldato
Frankly, I'm 40h in and only l25 with plenty to do left. I feel like I absolutely don't need another big game like RDR2 till I'm done with this, especially that I'm still enjoying the sights and the world.

Associate
I’m gonna give RDR2 a blast and will be intesting to see how it compares. I have a feeling that Assassins Creed will still look and feel great as it’s a great game which is likely underrated due to its title. Controls are great on the latest AC imo.

Soldato
I’m gonna give RDR2 a blast and will be intesting to see how it compares. I have a feeling that Assassins Creed will still look and feel great as it’s a great game which is likely underrated due to its title. Controls are great on the latest AC imo.

I was waiting for RDR2 like crazy but there are just too many games out and I happened to get Odyssey first as I loved the world in Origins.

I'm pretty positive both are great in their own right and I can't imagine Odyssey feeling much worse after RDR2 as the games are pretty far apart as AC looks very pretty and kinda does it's own thing. What RDR2 does is totally my thing, the setting etc. but so is this and I can't invest time in both simultaneously.

Soldato
Starting it this weekend. I've read pretty much every review going for RDR and my initial concerns are addressed too often (feeling like a chore to play with clumsy controls and overly boring maintenance tasks) .

Oddyysey will be much better for dipping in and out.

I'll admit, I'm a bit concerned about RDR.

I've now played the first 30 minutes and the controls are just bizarre.

Back
Top Bottom