Assetto Corsa OcUK TT Challenge! *Season 3*

Soldato
OP
A very tricky combo last week... Respect for putting in all those laps and not moaning about it too much :D

Round 8 - Imola results:

Jordan 191 - Fireblade2K4 - 1:23.616
Porsche 962C - SPARC - 1:40.077
Porsche 911 GT3 R - Fireblade2K4 - 1:44.274

Impressive work, chaps.

This week's challenge:

Sepang - Malaysian GP >>DOWNLOAD<<
McLaren MP4-20 >>DOWNLOAD<<
Porsche 919
Corvette C7R

These should be a lot easier to drive, but the track may or may not give a **** about that. #challengeaccepted

Last edited:

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Thanks Pete, nice challenge this week. Taken all 3 cars out for a try tonight and it's another good challenge as I have experience of none of it.

The circuit is tricky, hard to see some apexes, double apex corners and some very slow hairpins to go with the sweeping fast secitons. Tricky!

The McLaren is a joy to drive, plenty of time to found with that on the fast sweeping sections and the big braking zones.

The Porsche, despite FOV and driver position changes... I can't see a damn thing. Prefer to race as realistic as possible but might cheat with the camera for this one. The hidden apexes are tricky enough! Otherwise it's a decent planted fast car that sounds awful.

The Corvette is a sensitive old boat isn't it? Doesn't go very fast doesn't stop very fast and traction isn't aplenty. Will need some setup work to tame this one. I think whoever get this stable will walk it this week.

Soldato
The Corvette will be about the best setup, with a good setup that thing is fast and planted.

This is what bugs me about going back to assetto, it's all about the setup. Not having a pop at you mate, but last night I jumped in a race and without my old AC list of setups i was ramped on every straight by complete novices crashing out on every other corner all loaded with what I used to use. Ten minutes later racing ACC with a default aggressive sitting p8 after 30 minutes of hard at it around Kyalami with peers all within a second of each other tailing each others ***end

Bit of rant I know, but in ACC it's easy to just go on a default without being a frigging expert on how to balance a car, or know where to download the holy setups.

Last edited:
Associate
But it isn't difficult to set a car up, it just takes time and effort, you only get out what you put in.

I'm not a master at setups but the first few things I play with are wings, gear ratios and anti roll bars, I find these things make a lot of difference to how any given car on any given track behaves.

Also run low fuel, I've seen many doing hot laps with way too much fuel.

Last edited:

Dup

Dup

Soldato
I only do a basic tweak of the setup as I'd prefer to keep driving than fiddling. I tend to leave to suspension stuff alone but there's some simple quick stuff to tweak after a hand full of laps to get a solid base.

Tyres: Select the softest as we're only doing a few laps.
Tyre pressures: If you find the tyres going cold despite lapping fast, lower them. If you find them overheating, add more pressure.
Fuel: I put in enough for 5/6 laps as I make mistakes and get frustrated having to do loads of out laps :D
Final drive ratio: You want to be hitting close to the top of your highest gear on the longest straight as a benchmark. Takes a couple of laps out to figure out. I don't usually bother tweaking gears individually but a lower final drive can also increase acceleration out of corners which is a good place to make time but you don't want to be banging the limiter in top gear down the longest straight.
Wings: Less wing = higher speed on a straight. On a circuit with fast sweeping bends you'll need wings for grip and stability but if there's lots of slow corners they're not that useful. I take them down a notch or two and go from there.

There's a lot more to it of course. There's even apps and websites out there with calculators but the more you change at once the harder it is to figure out what's making the biggest difference. I think you'll find after a couple basic tweaks you'll have the potential to be within a second of the quicker guys, the rest is just preference and splitting tenths.

If I can get anywhere near the quicker guys this week I'll share my setups :)

Soldato
About the same set up changes I make too. I find I don’t have time to do enough laps in a week to get dialled in to a car and track to judge set up deficiencies and changes well enough.

Soldato
OP
As above, I keep it pretty simple. Maybe make a couple of camber changes or something. Nothing crazy.
I get where lokiss is coming from, but I don't think anyone here is an expert at car setups. I'm certainly not :D

ACC is nice in that it has a few presets to use, but you'll find that you'd still have to make custom setup tweaks if you were doing a similar thing to this, where you're trading tenths or fractions for the top spot. No sim racing game is different in that regard.

ACC is also way more of a complex pain in the arse to tweak setups with IMO. I feel like I need a motorsport engineering degree when I'm looking at the options for even some of the simpler things.

EDIT:
I'd love it to be a straight competition where it's purely about driver vs driver on a completely level playing field using fixed or stock setups (which can be done), but that introduces it's own problems because that setup will suit some more than others due to their driving style.
It's the same when we share our own setups on here.

Last edited:
Soldato
Fair points, it was more a frustration thing on what went off last night then seeing the all about the setup post, they matched up. I know zip when it comes to cars, I just rollout the slicks and lower the fuel, it's only become obvious how much my luddite approach matters after a year of ACC and hoping for the odd jaunt on AC again.

Your probably right about ACC being the more complex, but when you get beat by people knocking in 1.45's round Monza, or 1.53's at the Nurbugring, your dealing with pros and not everybody that's just grabbed the latest hotness posted on reddit or elsewhere.

Associate
I only do a basic tweak of the setup as I'd prefer to keep driving than fiddling. I tend to leave to suspension stuff alone but there's some simple quick stuff to tweak after a hand full of laps to get a solid base.

Tyres: Select the softest as we're only doing a few laps.
Tyre pressures: If you find the tyres going cold despite lapping fast, lower them. If you find them overheating, add more pressure.
:)

Doesn't it make sense to do the opposite with the tyres? In real life if they are overheating you want to drop pressure and vice versa?

Associate
I might dust off the Rift and turn a few laps tonight, maybe even try recording and uploading as has been discussed to possibly help others.

Also for those who struggle with setups try an app called The Setup Market, it might help someone.

Associate
Nah, softer tyre will flex more and generate more heat.

Liking this track choice though. And liking the 919 so far.

only to a degree, if you go out and do 1 lap and tyres are overheating i usually drop the psi, its usually too much psi that forces them scrub the road - resulting in more heat and less grip, post when you hit the sweet spot. Might be different in formula cars i only really know about gt

Soldato
Nice times last round chaps, I just can't drive manual for toff so tend to avoid them. However I've just fitted a nixim brake spring and noticed that the pedals were adjustable on the g27 so have moved them close together which might help!

If you don't want to faff with setups you might get lucky on the setup market and grab one you feel comfortable with, the more off piste the tracks/cars get though the less you find.

Back
Top Bottom