Assetto Corsa OcUK TT Challenge! *Season 3*

Soldato
Lol, I can imagine!

Anyone want to buy a Datsun? One careful owner...

Edit:
Just tried the Ferrari, forgot to blink again. Wow. :eek:

Edit2:
This is gonna take some getting used to. Driving by my wits at the moment and just completed my 3rd full lap without an epic crash (there have been a few of those - note to self, leave the kerbs alone) - 6:02 (offline for now).

Last edited:
Associate
Christ, Nordschleife. Will have to give the transit a run after watching Guy Martin’s shenanigans last week...

I know the first third and last third, but the middle section with lots of different speed corners always catches me out.

Soldato
Hah, similar here. So far my knowledge of it is "there are some tight bits, some fast bits, some bends that are faster than they look, a downhill bit and an uphill bit, and not necessarily in that order". Oh, and "don't forget to turn off at the end because someone's put barriers on the track". (Yes I rammed them in the Datsun. Twice.)

Soldato
Hah, similar here. So far my knowledge of it is "there are some tight bits, some fast bits, some bends that are faster than they look, a downhill bit and an uphill bit, and not necessarily in that order". Oh, and "don't forget to turn off at the end because someone's put barriers on the track". (Yes I rammed them in the Datsun. Twice.)
Haha yeah, that's the tourist layout for you, lap ends at the gantry at the start of the straight.

Definitely more time to be had in the transit, see if anyone can get close to Sabine's 10:08.

Also, very weird going from my CSR Elite load cell pedals back to my brake modded G25s, brake feel is very odd.

Soldato
Haha yeah, that's the tourist layout for you, lap ends at the gantry at the start of the straight.

I hit it so hard there was no getting it out, lol. I had to run the laptime "app" (from the r/hand sidebar) to see where the lap started and ended. From what I can see it's from the first overhead gantry to the last.

Can anyone else not resist a quick blip on the throttle to bring the back end around when leaving the pit space in the Ferrari? Great fun.

Soldato
Nice going, Petey. I wish I'd known not to ride the carousel - you have no idea how many times I tried before eventually giving up and going around it. :o

I had another hour or two on it last night and have the first third-to-half down now so hopefully it won't be too long before I learn the rest.

I've noticed I get a significant frame rate drop in the same spot every lap - around 1:52 to 1:54 in your video. I've disabled MSAA in Sweetfx so my usage graphs show everything is now well below maxing-out but the issue persists. I'm wondering now if it's reading from the HDD (the game is on my hybrid drive not the SSD). Anyone aware of this issue?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Not sure tbh. I have it on an SSD FWIW, although a lot of tracks do have a couple of spots where fps can dip a little anyway.
I learned the hard way on the carousel too... Not sure about the mini carousel at the end, but I chickened out anyway.

Car setup if it helps:

Final drive: 10/48
Aero: 17/26 to stop it losing the back on a couple of flat out bends.
ARB: 110000/25000
Fuel: 15L

Soldato
Not sure tbh. I have it on an SSD FWIW, although a lot of tracks do have a couple of spots where fps can dip a little anyway.
I learned the hard way on the carousel too... Not sure about the mini carousel at the end, but I chickened out anyway.

Car setup if it helps:

Final drive: 10/48
Aero: 17/26 to stop it losing the back on a couple of flat out bends.
ARB: 110000/25000
Fuel: 15L

Thankfully the FPS drop happens on a straightforward stretch so it's not too bad, just a distraction more than anything.

Thanks for the setup tips. I haven't changed anything yet except fuel but was going to experiment with aero - there's a double-right hander in the first quarter that's a bit too sketchy flat-out in default trim, lol.

Soldato
I think I've found the answer, and it doesn't sound like a HDD issue after all.

Someone else with the same card as me (actually a pair in SLI) has posted about experiencing the same issue at exactly the same part of the circuit. See post #15 in the thread below:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/244210/discussions/0/541907867751495469/

Usage graphs don't show anything unusual so it's not actual GPU or memory usage that saturates, instead probably the way the game manages textures with 3GB cards. Never mind, I'll turn a couple of things down for Nords and see if the problem goes away.

Soldato
I think I've found the answer, and it doesn't sound like a HDD issue after all.

Someone else with the same card as me (actually a pair in SLI) has posted about experiencing the same issue at exactly the same part of the circuit. See post #15 in the thread below:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/244210/discussions/0/541907867751495469/

Usage graphs don't show anything unusual so it's not actual GPU or memory usage that saturates, instead probably the way the game manages textures with 3GB cards. Never mind, I'll turn a couple of things down for Nords and see if the problem goes away.
Perfect excuse to grab a 1060/70 in the Black Friday sales ;)

Soldato
I’d like a high refresh 1440 gsync at some point, see what all the fuss is about (have 60hz 1440p currently which was a welcome upgrade even over my 1920x1200 monitor). But I think a new CPU, board and RAM on the cards first.

Soldato
I was typing an update as your message was posted. :)

Turns out all I had to do was lower shadow detail/res or whatever down one click from max and it breezes through that problem bit of the circuit. Even with MSAA 4x enabled in Sweetfx.

So that's DSR x1.78 (virtual 1440p), 4xAA in game, 4x MSAA in SweetFx and all in game detail settings at max except reflections (I've not tried raising this since my day-one config actually), smoke and shadows.

That'll do for now.

Edit:

When you're learning the 2nd half of the circuit, trying Petey's setup, feeling your way through and you've been wondering for most of the lap if he's been a bit bullish with his ARB tweaks... and then you eventually realise you're still on default (medium? edit: soft) tyres. :o

I enjoyed the slide though... :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom