Astro A50`s + Sound Blaster AE-5

Associate
Hi All,

I have a pair of Sennheiser games ones plugged directly into my Sound BlasterX AE-5 sound card via 2x3.5mm jacks(mic and phones). My game ones are getting old and I want to replace them. I have been looking at the Astro A50`s, however I have noticed that the base station plugs into the PC via a USB Port. As it uses the USB port, does it still use the Sound card to drive the sound? Does the USB sound, sound as good as if it were plugged directly into the sound card the old fashion way or would they make my sound card redundant? I`m not familiar with how it would work.

Thanks in advance, Lee

Lee.

Soldato
Being USB, the A50's won't make use of the sound card. Any audio device that has USB connection will have it's own sound processing. Ideally, you want a wired headset or headphones to make use of the sound card.

Soldato
Thanks all, sounds like another wired Sennheiser is needed.
Sennheiser is in entirely other class to Asstro.
Besides if you have quiet environment and no need to isolate environment's noise why change to closed headphones, which isolate more heat.
Depending on sound you're after there are plenty of headphones from actual audio makers for lot cheaper than Astros.
For example one of the absolute top headphones for details like foot steps etc, AKG K702 cost only £100.

V F

V F

Soldato
Gotta agree. Biggest waste of money Ive spent in a few years. Fell for the marketing hype big time.

I'm glad I stayed away because I originally had my sight set on them. Then found out from the people who know good sound said the bass is bloated to stupid levels, drowning out fine details. Which so many people out there seem to love.

Back
Top Bottom