1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Astrology: Its just silly right?

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by KingOfAquitaine, Jan 17, 2006.

1. Van_Dammesque

Wise Guy

If astrology is real, then why is it that your birth is the determining factor? Why not conception date? Does the womb provide adequate protection from the "unknown rays" whilst someone is in the womb? Do these rays effect animals too?

How come eveyone's personality is different?

How do the "celestial bodies" know when you are born?

Nero please provide a link to what you call "real" astrology, then we can debate "real" astrology.

2. conundrum

PermaBanned

Loki, Science also has the means of extracting and using evidence as well as theoretical predictive models.

Evidence surely is necessary in order to explain or predict anything. What evidence has astrology got for anything ? So why believe it in the first place. It almost feels like because Astrology has been around a long time it must be right but I disagree. Humans are in many ways superstitious and irrational. Science although relied upon to deliver progress is not a belief system that many people care to try abd understand. Astrology is easy I would say.

3. cleanbluesky

Capodecina

But does your belief in God not also mean that it is blasphemy for yourself to credit that Astrology might be based one observable phenomenon?

4. cleanbluesky

Capodecina

Not everyone adopts exactly the same behaviour with SAD, yet it effects us all.

5. cleanbluesky

Capodecina

What evidence is there for gravity? Have you yourself seen the research, have you yourself carried out the research? Have you studied gravity to such an extent that you can be certain that the idea is viable?

If you have not done these things, yet still believe in gravity - what is the difference between someone like myself or Nero120 believing Astrology without having seen the exact and definite mechanism for it? How is your belief in gravity 'logical' yet my belief in astrology somehow 'proposterous' or some such other empty dismissing descriptive (or indescriptive)...

Science is a belief system built on prestige as much as astrology is. If you think that the doctor or academic is always right you are mistaken...

6. cleanbluesky

Capodecina

Why are you under the impression that gravity has anything to do with astrology?

7. Dingo

Banned

True astrologhy is often confused with your daily newspaper horoscopes and as such suffers from anything from mild ridicule to utter disbelief (are your ears burning?) but if you look into the breakdown of the "character types" for the star signs you might be surprised what you discover?.

Take a look at your star sign in the link below and see if the character traits identified are yours.......then think of another person you know well and their character traits........then look up their sign and see if it reflects them.

http://www.cafeastrology.com/zodiacpisces.html

NB Not every single trait will apply for various reasons (ie) the things that can affect us all in childhood for instance. Being honest do at least 60-80% of those traits reflect you as a person?.

As Loki has said with his parents friends, and many major companies have also used Astrology from time to time, when building teams these characteristics can be vital in ensuring harmonious working teams.

ps Never thought of Anarchist as "dreamy and sensitive" though...perhaps he can put us right on that score! :)

8. conundrum

PermaBanned

We send probes to far distant planets and land them successfully (in the main). You need a very good understanding of Gravity to do that. Only science can do it. Science provided the understanding of propulsion. of materials that can withstand the forces when being launched into space, how to slingshot to gain velocity and when to launch in order to get there at proejcted time whne the planet being visted in closest to earth.

Science alone can do that but it won't necessarily tell you about your love life or money matters etc. That is not its job.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2006
  9. mdwh

Hitman

How would you prove that there was no way? Surely, there could be some way we don't currently know about?

Don't get me wrong - I think it's rubbish. But I don't think we can actually disprove it, anymore than we can disprove God, or the existence of unicorns.

But what about certain religious claims, such as prayer? This should be scientifically testable, and so far science has not been able to reproduce any positive effect from prayer. Yet plenty of people believe in prayer, whilst dismissing astrology as nonsense.

10. anarchist

PermaBanned

An excellent point. The brain (i.e. personality) develops while the foetus is growing. The date of birth is irrelevant in that respect.

Because another poster said that astrology could work due to the location of the celestial bodies and the gravitational effect that they therefore have on us, and I was just trying to prove that that can't be the case.

I'm not. I discount astrology whole-heartedly!

Of course the biggest evidence that it is not true is that it doesn't work!

Charts (even proper charts) work very much on the well proven "cold reading" techniques that clairvoyants and psychics use. The information is a) ambiguous, and b) tells the person what they want to hear so they won't deny it.

Has anybody's chart EVER said, "you are a generally nasty piece of work with no regard for anybody else's feelings"... No, I thought not!

11. fatiain

Sgarrista

As an Aquarian, I dismiss astrology as bunkum and Barnum statements.

On a side note did anyone catch Russell Grant on "Celebrity Fat Club"?

Great moment where he was whining about how being fat was because of neptune rising in jupiter with a saturn moon (or something) and that US marine bloke, Harvey, said "it aint nuthin to do with mars or venus or uranus - its to do with your big fat mouth and the food you shovel in there" [pronounce uranus as "your anus" to appreciate the effect].

Good dose of rationality from the US Marine Corp.

12. anarchist

PermaBanned

:D

<true though>

13. AJUK

Man of Honour

LOL. Superb! :D

14. Dolph

Man of Honour

Not quite the same thing though. The vast majority of religious people will tell you that prayer is a request, not a command. It's a request for help, assistance or advice that can be ignored or denied, or can lead to different results. There are a few faith healers and the like that claim different, but they are very much the minority.

If you take and accept that view, then you destroy the predictive model, as the simple input (the act of prayer) will not always result in the same output.

Astrology, on the other hand, is based on physically observable phenomenom. It's also said to require no faith, so it should be simple cause and effect, and that makes it a perfect candidate for scientific testing. There are no variables that can be regarded as unpredictable, and so it falls into standard testing methods.

15. aztechnology

Mobster

I would hesitate before claiming to believe in string theory, from what I know even the proponents of the theory are still very tentative about it's claims. This though is a dicussion for another thread.

16. nero120

Soldato

Who knows? But it seems to work quite well from my experience.

Sorry, I can't link to my aunty. Try looking deeper than tabloids or glamour mags for astrology and you might find something interesting, then again maybe not.

17. aztechnology

Mobster

18. aztechnology

Mobster

I'll back nero120 up again here, even though really I think it is all hokum. To get a proper reading is not a simple matter, a friend of mine used to "do astrology", but it used to take her about 3 days to work it all out. I never took the invite of a reading, but others who did said it was scarily accurate.

19. Arcade Fire

Banned

To take a controversial viewpoint - as a profound believer in the scientific method and as someone who wants to study string theory in the near future, I think you'd be foolish to 'believe in it'. There's pretty compelling evidence that not only has it not given any predictions thus far, but that it will never give any predictions. As such, it's unfalsifiable and therefore an unscientific theory! I only know about this on a qualitative level, though.

20. anarchist

PermaBanned

I think people are taking my "believe" word too seriously. I didn't mean that I have total faith that it is fact - I just meant that currently it seems like a theory that makes sense and hence I think it is probably correct. If a better theory comes along that makes more sense then I wouldn't hesitate to switch my allegiance to that theory instead, so it's not a strong belief by any means.