• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

ASUS 3080 TUF GAMING OC - Full power draw and Instability at Stock

Associate
So after being in a queue since the beginning of October I finally received my 3080 2 weeks ago.

Since doing a clean install of windows and running everything at stock. I found the performance not being to the standard it should be.

I was getting quite low FPS in games where easily I should be getting more. Also I found games glitching and freezing up.

I investigated this via GPU-Z and found that the card at stock was using the most power as possible and was hitting max operating voltage making the performance take a huge hit and bossy clocks barely rise not even up to 1900mhz at times which is awful.

I have requested an RMA on the card to have it replaced but the only thing that looks to help is that I ran MSI Afterburner OC scanner which amended the voltage/frequency curve and now the performance seems more stable and hitting the rates I expect without the VOp message in GPU-Z however I should not have to do this to have a stable GPU.

I do have an odd issue hear and there but very minimal. Just wanted to let people know if they are having the issue to try this in the meantime.

Also is anyone else having this issue?

I think that is bad testing from ASUS on this card.

Soldato
I've had this card (non oc) from launch with zero issues. It boosts to 2000 MHz and has been super solid, it draws up to 350W at 99% usage, while not going over 65C.
Does great at 1440p with high FPS, and mine is paired with a Ryzen 5800x.

So what's your system specs, and can you run timespy so your score can be compared?

Associate
OP
Hey thanks for the response.
I have the below:

CPU - Ryzen 5 5600x
RAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 3600Mhz
GPU - TUF GAMING OC 3080
MOBO - ASUS TUF GAMING X570

I can try TimeSpy at stock to let you know but I would be interested to see what GPU Z says for you when playing a game like Warzone in terms of click speeds, board power draw and whether you get Vrel and VOp pop up while playing.

That is where I noticed the issue as it was the first game I played and had issues with Freezing in menus etc.

Soldato
Here's a couple of Timespy runs, the first is stock clocks, the 2nd has a small overclock: +75 core and + 150 memory. Not sure how that compares with your OC version, but gives you an idea what ball park you should be in. Obviously your cpu results will be less than mine, so probably best just compare the gpu score.

https://www.3dmark.com/spy/21032165

https://www.3dmark.com/spy/21032296

Mick

Associate
I also had the ASUS TUF OC and at first I was getting black screen crashes & lockups and low fps. I upgraded from a 750w to an 850w which helped a little but I was still having issues, less frequent but still wasn't happy. Under volting the card via MSI afterburner is was what gave me 100% stability. I was able to achieve slightly higher clock speeds in the end, so it all ended well..

Associate
OP
Thanks everyone for the help and links.

So I actually upgraded this week to 1000w Corsair PSU which is obviously overkill but please see my stock results from timespy which I feel are very underwhelming.

https://www.3dmark.com/spy/21029627.

Also I have a separate cable for each 8 pin on the GPU.

The fact that FPS Drops while gaming and that full power draw is in use as well at stock profile with no OC just out the box seems a reason to be concerned.

I literally plugged and played after reinstalling drivers and just have max power draw and leads to instability and not the performance expected especially that this is an pc where you think the chip would also have better performance.

It seems I am just unlucky with this one.

Definitely going to RMA in hope for a resolution.

Soldato
Is the bios switch in performance mode, and have you tried taking the cover off the computer case to improve air flow. Your temps are a few degrees higher than mine while running at lower clocks. It might also be worth maxing out the power slider in afterburner and seeing what happens.

Soldato
Just looks like you lost the silicon lottery but if it's boosting over 1815mhz then it's within spec and they will probably refuse the RMA.

Associate
OP
I understand what you mean about the lottery, however 2 things I will say is that firstly as I purchased the OC version you expect the chip to be able to boost higher, however still the issue remains that when gaming and just running the card at stock OC bios it has full power draw and getting VOp message in GPU- resulting in glitching and freezing as well as frames dropping to below 100fps at times and also due to power draw the features like DLSS etc also don’t even activate or have effect. Something is definitely up.

Associate
Hey thanks for the response.
I have the below:

CPU - Ryzen 5 5600x
RAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 3600Mhz
GPU - TUF GAMING OC 3080
MOBO - ASUS TUF GAMING X570

I can try TimeSpy at stock to let you know but I would be interested to see what GPU Z says for you when playing a game like Warzone in terms of click speeds, board power draw and whether you get Vrel and VOp pop up while playing.

That is where I noticed the issue as it was the first game I played and had issues with Freezing in menus etc.

did you manage to play warzone /> if so what sort of fps and resolution was you at

Soldato
If you can load up MSI afterburner and hit CRL F to bring up the voltage curve and take pic of it and post it up here as this may give a clue as to why your hitting VOp.

Soldato
But all cards hit a power limit, and if the card is drawing 350W then the limit is reached.
According to HWinfo my card (just like every other) won't run faster because it has reached the power limit set by the manufacturer. Undervolting, or extra cooling can get more Mhz before this limit is reached, but only volt modding is going to bypass what is set by the manufacturer.

Soldato
But all cards hit a power limit, and if the card is drawing 350W then the limit is reached.
According to HWinfo my card (just like every other) won't run faster because it has reached the power limit set by the manufacturer. Undervolting, or extra cooling can get more Mhz before this limit is reached, but only volt modding is going to bypass what is set by the manufacturer.
Usually you hit perf cap PWR though before you hit perf cap VOp unless your running the card at very high MHz in a non GPU bound scenario.

Soldato
I understand what you mean about the lottery, however 2 things I will say is that firstly as I purchased the OC version you expect the chip to be able to boost higher, however still the issue remains that when gaming and just running the card at stock OC bios it has full power draw and getting VOp message in GPU- resulting in glitching and freezing as well as frames dropping to below 100fps at times and also due to power draw the features like DLSS etc also don’t even activate or have effect. Something is definitely up.

Depends on your case cooling too and we have been having warm weather too, remember the original reviews were done when it was cold weather too (plus on an open bench the reviews were done and some even having a 140mm fan near buy pointing at the cards and motherboards vrm if they used an AIO for CPU).

Do you have a picture of your case setup showing the cooling you have ?

Soldato
Usually you hit perf cap PWR though before you hit perf cap VOp unless your running the card at very high MHz in a non GPU bound scenario.

By the sounds of things like mentioned above the op just has a card that doesn't preform as well as others (silicone lottery) but still performs above manufacturers spec.
I think it's just a case that nowadays we expect GPU's to run faster. :D

Back
Top Bottom