Asus A8N sli Premium Problem !

Associate
Hello i'm looking for some help with the following problem....

I've just bought an AMD 64 +4600 X2 Socket 939 cpu to replace an AMD 64 +3800 socket 939 standard cpu, i had hoped it would just be a case of swapping the chips over but when i dropped the new chip in the pc wouldnt boot, i got one long beep and two short beeps in a loop at post i.e. system failed memory test.

I removed all my ram except for a 1gig dimm in slot a1, the system then booted first time, i experimented with another 1gig dimm in all the other slots and found it would only boot with two 1gig dimms in slots a1 & a2 (the nearest two to the cpu) i have no idea why this is the case, i've flashed my bios to rev 1302 + updated the chipset drivers and that made no difference....

My question is....

Why will this chip not support dual chan memory in the same motherboard that managed it no problem with a single core cpu ?

Any help/advice much appreciated :)

Man of Honour
Did you reset the settings before you installed the new CPU?

What is the motherboard and BIOS version? Checked for updates on their website to do with memory compatibility and dual cores?

I assume A1 and B1 are for dual channel?

Associate
OP
Board is an Asus A8N sli premium, bios is updated to latest rev 1302, slots a1 & b1 are for dual chan memory and so are a2 & b2, they are colour coded.

Looks like i'll have to send the chip back, X2 chips have the memory controller built in and it doesnt appear to like my current setup :(

Back
Top Bottom