Asus and Corsair aren't being helpful - I regret buying their products

Associate
Last year my motherboard died from a failed capacitor. This does seem to be an issue caused by the motherboard, however in 2014 my PSU, an AX 850 failed and in my experience the damage to the motherboard is consistent to poor power. And considering this, it is logical to come to the conclusion that it was the faulty PSU that shortened the lifespan on my components leading to the delayed failure. The faulty PSU was replaced, although they did require that I send them the old unit.

So when my motherboard died I contacted Corsair and they stated that there was no damage claim with the original RMA and that any new damage claim would require that the faulty unit be sent to them. They went on the say that it is not the PSU that caused the damage and that the PSU is a very high end product. Firstly if is it such a high end reliable product then why did the first unit fail? The problem is that they already have the faulty PSU, so I can't send it to them again and the original PSU most likely shortened the lifespan on the components meaning that the damaged caused was delayed.

I then contacted Asus to find out what would happen in the event that the motherboard was still under warrantee. They asked for proof of purchase and once they had it they just told me to go buy a new one, but I couldn't since they have been discontinued and the only ones available are second hand and at greatly inflated prices. I wasn't asking for a replacement, all I was asking for is for someone to look at the case for 2 minutes and conclude that is it damage consistent with a poor power supply so I could take that to Corsair, but as soon as I sent them the invoice they completely ignored me.

So Corsair really isn't being helpful, there so called high end products don't seem to be that good and Asus support isn't that great.

Sgarrista
Commissario
So your motherboard was out of warranty?

In which case, sorry to say, you'll have to go sort yourself a new motherboard.

Correlation does not imply causation, and unless you can prove the damage to the motherboard was caused by the PSU it doesn't matter what anyone says.

Associate
If the motherboard was damaged, why would it wait 3 years to fail?

Capacitors can and do fail - electrolytic ones particularly.

As it's not under warranty, is this something you could repair yourself? How about a repair shop?

Associate
How exactly does a failed PSU shorten the lifespan of a motherboard? Do you have any proof of that?

I'm no electrical engineer but if it was to damage your board you would have seen it then and there....not years later. Its like claiming whiplash 3 years after you got rear ended......

Man of Honour
How exactly does a failed PSU shorten the lifespan of a motherboard? Do you have any proof of that?

I'm no electrical engineer but if it was to damage your board you would have seen it then and there....not years later. Its like claiming whiplash 3 years after you got rear ended......

Poor regulation can and does stress components and cause premature failure, etc. etc. however its more than tenuous that the PSU caused the motherboard to fail and without some solid proof he ain't getting anywhere.

Associate
It is unfortunate that the power supply has failed
But unless the motherboard has failed at the same time as the power supply
You do not have a foot to stand on in your claim
While your suspicion has a logical basis
The methodology is flawed
You have a weird entitlement to get stuff for free

Soldato
You didn't skimp on the PSU and yet the unit you got turned out to be a bad unit and ended up failing completely, and you had that in your system. To me it's understandable that you'll feel it may have had an impact on the motherboard later failing, and ended up feeling somewhat short-changed despite the mobo surviving its warranty period. It would probably bug me too if it happened to me, and I would also wish to know if the mobo damage could have been caused by the faulty PSU, just to scratch that itch. But it has to be recognized that it'd be a hard task to determine, and I wouldn't seek Corsair to replace the motherboard (out of warranty is out of warranty, unfortunately).

You are in your rights to vent about the situation, and to not buy their products in future if you feel strongly enough about it, even. But Corsair does enjoy a pretty good support reputation. This is a scenario where they'd be foolish to accept responsibility for something that may or may not have been caused by one of their products. It's not like motherboards don't sometimes come DOA or fail due to their own build quality, cheap components (alongside quality components) etc. Asus will not have wanted to even receive the motherboard to take a look at it, in case they'd have to tell you after inspecting it, that actually, it had nothing to do with the PSU, or vice versa, become unintentionally involved in a dispute with Corsair if they feel it was the PSU (this has happened before and does neither of their public images any good). Whilst neither company has gone out of its way, they've also not failed to live up to their terms in this case. Take it on the chin and always look for the longest available warranty where possible, maybe.

Associate
OP
But the thing is that the motherboard was a high end P9X79 Pro, Asus likes to state on their promotional material how good their products are and how well built they are. In addition it could have also been the replacement PSU that caused the issue, I now don't really want to use it in case it takes out more components. So I am left with a 3930k, DDR3 memory and a PSU that I can't use. And this is after spending quite a lot more to get good quality components so things like this wouldn't happen.

Associate
All you can do is sell what you have left and try and forget about it. Neither company will pay for the damage, things break and fail, even the highest spec components will fail.

Just sell what you have and don't want to use and put it toward a new machine.

Man of Honour
Asus likes to state on their promotional material how good their products are and how well built they are.

*lol* really there is nothing premium about Asus's ROG, etc. products some of them are just slapped haphazardly together (should see the inside of the ROG Swift monitor) with some fancy marketing.

Associate
OP
All you can do is sell what you have left and try and forget about it. Neither company will pay for the damage, things break and fail, even the highest spec components will fail.

Just sell what you have and don't want to use and put it toward a new machine.

could do, I could sell my 3930k for about £120 and my Ripjaws Z for about £80 then I could buy a Ryzen 1600x for £230, a B350 motherboard for £100 and 16GB of DDR4 3200ish for £120, total £250.

Back
Top Bottom