Asus Crosshair VIII Hero Crashing

Associate
So my PC has started behaving pretty badly, and just wanted to make sure I'm not being an idiot in thinking it's the mobo at fault...

CPU is a 3950x (Cooled by a 360 AIO)
Mem is 32GB (4x 8GB Corsair Vengence RGB 3600)
Mobo BIOS is up to date, and running default settings - I've tried with and without c-states disabled
PSU is a Corsair AX1600 - I didn't buy it, this is a warranty replacement from a smaller unit I was sent because they were out of stock of smaller units.
GPU is an MSI Suprim X 3090

The computer randomly crashes, and it's been happening more and more frequently. It's always when the PC is pretty idle, or I'm doing something light like web browsing or messaging, never when gaming...

Looking at monitoring tools nothing is getting too hot, and I haven't witnessed any voltages getting too low.

So new mobo time??

Associate
OP
Also, when crashing... The screen will sometimes retain the last image, and sometimes go black, it's pretty random.

The power button locks up, holding it for longer than 10s won't turn the power off to the PC.

The reset button stops working (yes they are wired up correctly).

Soldato
Then check event viewer to see what caused the crash, if it's gpu it will show driver failure if it's cpu it will one of the power failure error messages

Why does he need to watch that specific video when there are much better videos/guides about event viewer than some rubbish LTT one, you just didn't read the opening post or what the fault was. Driver failure isn't going to show up if it is a memory fault on the graphics card/pc.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Yeah, I should have said that I already checked the event log and there were zero errors when the crashes happened. Windows didn't even notice...

After discussing this on another forum I got rid of the DOCP (XMP) memory profile and I'm just running the memory under the automatic settings.

That means I'm running 3600Mhz memory at 2666Mhz...

But it's been 100% stable since making the change.

I guess something is wrong with the memory, memory controller, or mobo (SoC VRM or something between the CPU<->RAM) causing instability. Frustrating but I'd prefer a slightly slower stable computer over one that is falling over. I just hope it stays stable till the AM5 platform and Ryzen 7000 series come out!

Soldato
Mem is 32GB (4x 8GB Corsair Vengence RGB 3600)

That means I'm running 3600Mhz memory at 2666Mhz...

But it's been 100% stable since making the change.

Corsair has a Life time warranty, my advice would be either figure out which set of RAM is causing you the issue and RMA then ones that are faulty. Corsair RMA's are UK based and very fast turn around time. Or alternatively buy some 2x 16GB sticks then see if you have the same issue running that at full speed, if not RMA the current RAM, and then sell it once you get the new kit(s) back.

No point in keeping something that isn't working to spec, and if it is your IMC then 2x 16GB will be much easier for it to run at 3600MHz and you lose no performance. Given how cheap RAM is these day ~£120 will get you 32GB of good RGB RAM you'll probably break even less the postage.

Associate
OP
Yeah, I could always "borrow" the two sticks of G.Skill 3600Mhz RAM out of my girlfriend's gaming rig for diagnostics.

If it is the memory controller though I think the CPU has a 3-year AMD warranty on it...

Soldato
Yeah, I could always "borrow" the two sticks of G.Skill 3600Mhz RAM out of my girlfriend's gaming rig for diagnostics.

If it is the memory controller though I think the CPU has a 3-year AMD warranty on it...

IMC is only rated to 3200MHz though at 2x1R, so 3600MHz wouldn't wash as an RMA, official AMD ratings for the 3950x are 2x1R DDR4-3200, 2x2R DDR4-3200, 4x1R DDR4-2933, 4x2R DDR4-2667, anything higher is an overclock.

I'd always go with the RAM first, but given how hard you are pushing the IMC it could easily be that, hence the 2x 16GB suggestion.

Associate
OP
Oh wow... I swear those specifications didn't exist when I bought the chip (or I'm blind and totally overlooked them).

Interesting it was running stable for over a year before starting to give issues, guess silicon does degrade over time

I might see how it behaves at 2933mhz.

Soldato
Oh wow... I swear those specifications didn't exist when I bought the chip (or I'm blind and totally overlooked them).

Interesting it was running stable for over a year before starting to give issues, guess silicon does degrade over time

I might see how it behaves at 2933mhz.

I've had 4 DIMM's happily running 3600MHz as well on several different Ryzen builds, even one with 64GB, but the best thing I can suggest is rule out the RAM first since it is easier and more likely to yield a result.

Back
Top Bottom