1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

** ASUS DO IT AGAIN: IPS, 144Hz & FREESYNC!!! Asus MG279Q thread **

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by Gibbo, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Doogles

Mobster

I'll buy whichever is cheapest! :p (If they both perform as well as each other)

2. texxx74

Gangster

Any chance we will see 1440p IPS 144Hz with 3d vision 2 support soon?

3. Bonjour

Sgarrista

The thing is, with Freesync nothing additional needs to be added. A G-Sync monitor is a gaming monitor, which requires an additional piece of hardware. With Freesync, it can be a standard monitor that also so happens to support the adaptive sync standard.

The flip side to this is that the performance of the monitors could vary greatly; most importantly the frequency at which Freesync will function. We've also seen ghosting issues reported with the early monitors that support Freesync.

4. Baddass

Don

Yeah I know. But I don't see why NVIDIA would allow support of that. Not while they have G-sync modules to sell and promote

5. Chipper500

Gangster

Any new info on this monitor?

Any real life pictures or anything like that?

Or translated reviews from our European neighbours? :)

6. Jim99

Wise Guy

Hi Awahwah, and others with the same question - I don't have any info on that at the moment, waiting to find out what's happening.

7. Chipper500

Gangster

This is like a Chinese torture technique!

8. Ch3m1c4L

Mobster

Jim, You know you will be releasing one at some point, purely because releasing one is leaving that market with no offering from yourselves, and as such giving sales to other companies.

So, its more a question of when. I imagine it would be shortly after this monitor has been released/the initial sales have started to fall off. Since in theory it will be the same screen just with the G-Sync module and a mark up added :)

I actually thought I was already waiting for the Asus 1440p 144hz g-sync monitor, and have money ready to spend, since I don't want the acer. Only today have I realised that you are not offering the product I somehow thought you were :(

9. Jim99

Wise Guy

It is a bit confusing, I confess - mainly because the market is moving so quickly at the moment!

Current announced range (in terms of ROG only, there are plenty more non-ROG ASUS monitors) is:

1) Swift, i.e. 1440p TN G-Sync (as you all know)
    2) Dominator, i.e. 1440p IPS FreeSync (as mentioned in this thread)
    3) PG27AQ, i.e. 4K IPS G-Sync (on the way)

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
  10. Gibbo

Commissario

Thanks for clarifying as even I was confused if this monitor was an ROG panel, so glad I pretty much got it right, the fact its called Dominator pretty much suggested to me it was an ROG panel. :)

11. Ch3m1c4L

Mobster

I will just have to wait a bit longer, Been waiting about 6 years for IPS at 120+hz, so another few months or whatever isn't a problem. Doesn't need top be ROG though, will just keep an eye on your website until what I want comes out.

12. jigger

Capodecina

I don't think anybody will care what branding the screen comes under as long as the quality is right, but I found this from somebody else at Asus,

http://rog.asus.com/393632015/gaming-monitors/ces-2015-mg279q-27-inch-wqhd-ips-at-120hz/
    Can you say who makes the panel for this monitor?

13. Chipper500

Gangster

Hey guys

Couple of questions

Is there any chance this monitor will be availible @ OCUK before the expected eta? Like the new Benq 144hz Tn panel was

And any word on the TFT review for the Asus screen?

Cheers!

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  14. Jim99

Wise Guy

Yes that's correct - my understanding is that this is being labelled Mainstream on the basis that pro gamers etc will want TN for the speed, rather than anything else.

Unfortunately I don't have the panel info available yet.

15. Nasher

Capodecina

If I had bought an AMD card I'd buy one of these right now. Why is G-Sync so overpriced :/

16. Nexus18

Capodecina

@Jim

Not sure if you are aware of this but:

Could you make sure that this issue is fixed on ASUS's end before release?

17. Ayahuasca

Capodecina

Check what Nexus quoted above :p

18. Jim99

Wise Guy

Hi Nexus - I have seen some discussion about this, yes. I can't make sure it's fixed (as I don't work in engineering) but I will raise it and check that it's being looked at.

19. Nexus18

Capodecina

Cool, thanks! :)

I just raise the issue as usually, firmware updates for monitors can only be done by the manufacturer so if the screens were to ship with this issue then it would mean that the consumer will have to ship the monitor back, which as you can imagine is a bit of an annoyance and could potentially put a lot of people of the monitor.

20. Jim99

Wise Guy

Just wanted to let you know, I've now had it confirmed that the ASUS MG279Q can enable both FreeSync and Overdrive (TraceFree) at the same time.