Asus ELMB SYNC monitor list

Permabanned
I thought i would keep track and update the list of monitors that feature ELMB SYNC. I think this is the best monitor feature out there at the minute because you get Strobing and Sync technology which previously has been impossible. If you notice any new panels please do update here and i will add to the list thankyou.

VG32VQ (31.5" 2560x1440p 144hz VA)
VG27AQ (27" 2560x1440p 155hz IPS)
VG27BQ (27" 2560x1440p 155hz TN)
VG35VQ (35" 3440x1440p 100hz VA)
VG259QM (24" 1920x1080 280hz IPS)

https://www.asus.com/Monitors/TUF-GAMING-VG32VQ/
https://www.asus.com/Monitors/TUF-Gaming-VG27AQ/
https://www.asus.com/Monitors/TUF-Gaming-VG27BQ/
https://www.asus.com/Monitors/TUF-Gaming-VG35VQ/
https://www.asus.com/Monitors/TUF-GAMING-VG259QM/

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
Permabanned
OP
The ASUS XG27VQ supports ELMB @ 120Hz
I Know I have one :)

The Adaptive-Sync/ FreeSync Is Enabled, The ELMB Function Is Grayed Out. I quoted from Google on why this is just ELMB and not ELMB SYNC. ELMB SYNC will allow both Freesync AND ELMB the XG27VQ does not support both sadly.

Associate
Early reports of the VG32VQ aren't good at all. Comments about strobe-crosstalk causing distracting artifacts making the motion look worse with ELMB-sync On than Off. VA panels will always struggle with motion and strobing the back-light.

Associate
Early reports of the VG32VQ aren't good at all. Comments about strobe-crosstalk causing distracting artifacts making the motion look worse with ELMB-sync On than Off. VA panels will always struggle with motion and strobing the back-light.
I don't understand why they think it would be OK to release it in that state. My Hannspree 32" (which probably uses the same VA panel as the new TUF VA does) has warped colour artifacts when you enable Ultra Fast Response Time mode, which you may expect, what with it being a relatively unknown brand name. ASUS waffles on about how they're the only ones to have gotten ULMB + Freesync working at the same time and there sure is a lot of blurb on the product description website about how it improves pixel response time for gaming, but it's all meaningless if it doesn't translate into a consistent visual improvement over non-ULMB mode, which y'know, you'd think would be the first thing they looked for.

There's two things I hope for with the other versions:

1) The IPS version hasn't been purposely gimped to have worse colours than it should be capable of, i.e. cheap(est) quality IPS panel selected.

2) The TN version doesn't have shoddy banded colours either with panel tech from the mid-2000s.

I fear they have no real motivation to use good quality panels, using the rationale that they are reserved for their high-end ridiculously expensive models only. And by good I don't mean 'digital artist display' good, I just mean none of the traditional weaknesses of bad monitors.

Last edited:
Associate
Hat off to Asus, they used the hype well. But them shouting "we made freesync work with motion blur reduction", doesn't make it so.
Avoid

Permabanned
OP
You really need TN to not get an annoying level of strobe cross-talk. IMO the TN version of this line is probably going to be pretty sweet.

I was kind of hoping for a VG24, 240hz ELMB with 24 or 25 inch so i can DSR 4k on it if needed. I will put up with TN if the panel they use is a 8bit premium TN like the kd25f.

Associate
I thought I'd try the VG27AQ. Still testing, but so far enjoying stepping up from TN. Loving desktop and colours! Gaming - I can see the crosstalk, but such is the limit of present technology. It's not a deal breaker for me. Amazing colours in The Witness. I can see glow if I set a black screen and turn my lights off, but since I never have the lights off thats not an issue for me. Only thing is I can't change the level of overdrive aka Trace Free settings as its greyed out.

Associate
Hey, you guys are the experts here i guess. I have a question for this ELMB Sync. I wanted to get the VG248QG from 2018, seems to be perfect for me with the TN panel. But then I read about ELMB Sync on the 27" model that came 2019 VG27BQ. So I figured, ok maybe I wait for the 24" model of that one. But there never was a 24" TN panel with ELMB Sync. Is that feature really that great? And if yes, do you guys think there is a chance for a 24" model?

At CES 2020 they announced the VG259QM with 24,5" but IPS not TN ans also ELMB-Sync. They call it Fast IPS with 1ms GtG so would it be comparable to TN? I mostly play fast FPS games.

Whats yout guys take on the future of ASUS 24" models with TN for 2020? Does it make sense to wait? I know its not a question one can answer clearly but whats your opinions please. thanks!

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
Hey, you guys are the experts here i guess. I have a question for this ELMB Sync. I wanted to get the VG248QG from 2018, seems to be perfect for me with the TN panel. But then I read about ELMB Sync on the 27" model that came 2019 VG27BQ. So I figured, ok maybe I wait for the 24" model of that one. But there never was a 24" TN panel with ELMB Sync. Is that feature really that great? And if yes, do you guys think there is a chance for a 24" model?

At CES 2020 they announced the VG259QM with 24,5" but IPS not TN ans also ELMB-Sync. They call it Fast IPS with 1ms GtG so would it be comparable to TN? I mostly play fast FPS games.

Whats yout guys take on the future of ASUS 24" models with TN for 2020? Does it make sense to wait? I know its not a question one can answer clearly but whats your opinions please. thanks!

Interesting it could be smeary with lots of halos and artifacts or it could work great. The issue is fast IPS is a bit of a lie sure its fast but the 1ms G2G is not MPRT and when tested by tftcentral you cam bet it will be about 1-3ms more like 3ms. The truth is IPS and VA are not able to transistion pixels fast enough if you read tftcentral the record TN panel was 1ms and 0.3ms overdrive but it did not match those specifications under testing. It also only managed 90% pixel transistions and that is the fastest TN they tested! I will have a read and look more tomorrow.am off to bed now. :)

Permabanned
Was looking at the VG32VQ but unlike the 27" model it has not yet been G-Sync Comp Certed, and some user reviews say it has bad backlight and the strobing causes issue bellow 40FPS.

Permabanned
OP
Was looking at the VG32VQ but unlike the 27" model it has not yet been G-Sync Comp Certed, and some user reviews say it has bad backlight and the strobing causes issue bellow 40FPS.

Strobing should be used at half fps 40 is too low on a 144hz monitor ideally it uses to function best near the 144hz mark but 100 ideally to stop bad stuff. Strobing does wonders but it has to not be in silly situations like 40fps?

I would have expected a lot of blinking and blur at 40fps strobed on such a monitor.

Back
Top Bottom