Asus G751JY ROG Gaming laptop IPS display

Associate
I recieved the G751JT recently, I have a decent desktop but portability when traveling (or even just being able to work from different parts of the house) is required... and despite being the "little brother" of the various newer asus machines am quite taken back by how strong it performs.

The TB storage drive comes partitioned by default, but it takes quite literally just a few seconds to change this once you boot into windows if you want to

System recovery isn't far behind, the SSD drive has a small recovery partition on it (as the system comes with windows 8.1 factory installed)

My only minor nags are windows 8.1's nature means I had to quickly disable automatic updates and scrutinize everything it recomended or risk the system messing up and requiring a restore... also as many of the new asus devices are in the 1k+ upwards range a carry bag/case would had been nice

Little worried about the battery in the long run as well (suppose having them non-removable is a marketing thing to ensure future sales)

Associate
Mem and nic

Hi,

I am thinking about purchasing the ASUS ROG G751JT-T7019H - 17.3" FHD LED / i7-4710HQ / Nvidia GTX970 3G / 16G / 1TB 7200 + 128G SSD / BD Read / Win 8.1 64B @ £1,199.99 inc VAT but would like to know if it's possible to upgrade to 32GB, (I do lots of virt and cloud work), and the nic is stated as 10/100, surely that's not right, it must be 10/100/1000.

Any help appreciated.

Soldato
OP
Yes the 16gb will be in the two rear memory slots leaving the two slots under the bottom removable flap free.

It does have gigabit lan 10/100/1000 the description is wrong.

Last edited:
Associate
Just wanted to ask whats the lowest price people have seen for a JY version with the 980? Saveonlaptops.co.uk has one for £1495 right now which is reallllllly tempting.

Associate
Hello All, I noticed some of you have the MSI GT72 laptop ? is the lighting on the key board better than the Rog? as i cannot see the keys when they are shinning red, must be my eyes, and how dose it compare to the Rog, any better or worse? your views will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Associate
The keyboard on the GT72 is nicer and easier to see than the G751. It is a lot louder under load though.

Thanks for Replying, The loudness is not so much an issue for me just the Keyboard, oh and reliability is another I like to make my laptops last forever if i can, Money too tight to mention lol.
Again Thanks.

Caporegime
Thanks for Replying, The loudness is not so much an issue for me just the Keyboard, oh and reliability is another I like to make my laptops last forever if i can, Money too tight to mention lol.
Again Thanks.
If money is too right to mention then buying a 1500 quid laptop that will ultimately have a limited shelf life and is non upgradeable is perhaps not a sensible decision. Get one with a beefier stock CPU and an MXM slot twhere you can upgrade the gpu in a couple of years. It will give much better value for money down the line.

Associate
If money is too right to mention then buying a 1500 quid laptop that will ultimately have a limited shelf life and is non upgradeable is perhaps not a sensible decision. Get one with a beefier stock CPU and an MXM slot twhere you can upgrade the gpu in a couple of years. It will give much better value for money down the line.

Thanks for good advice. I like the idea but not sure what laptops offer them options, Ideally a self build laptop, but is there such a thing?

Soldato
OP

Considering upgrading from an 880m to 980m on the GT72 costs just over £650 I would not bother worrying about being able to upgrade the GPU in a laptop. It makes more sense to sell and buy new.

Back
Top Bottom