Asus G751JY ROG Gaming laptop IPS display

Man of Honour
Just received mine from OCUK sent in nothing but it's original box with the invoice taped to the outside. The box looks like it has been through hell and back and the Asus seal was broken and replaced with some OCUK tape on the opposite side. Not happy.... :mad:

Had a very quick try of the laptop and all seems ok. It has the sound issue with all the sounds coming from the subwoofer which my review model did not do...

Will have a better play later.

That's how mine was shipped too. Plus my box received a dent at some point in the journey.

Soldato
OP
I seem to have a lot more issues with this one over my review model. I'm getting bad internet drop outs and disconnections. The sound is all mucked up and it's louder at idle.

I'm going to upgrade the bios and drivers and see what that does...

Soldato
OP
Drivers and bios seem to have fixed the WiFi and noise but I cannot fix the subwoofer/Audio issue.

I did not have this issue on the review model which was identical apart from a bigger SSD.

It's a bit weird although it sounds ok it makes all the audio appear to come from the left side of the laptop.

Man of Honour
Yeah that's the issue I have. It's a bit worrying to be honest. My background is in Tech support and knowing what I know, a high percentage of problems will be driver related and thus fixed accordingly, but if you had a fully working set of speakers in your review model and not in this one it suggest it might be a faulty batch of speakers or something. I hope not, because that would be a nightmare. RMA all round, recalls etc. Would take forever to sort.

Caporegime
Just received mine from OCUK sent in nothing but it's original box with the invoice taped to the outside. The box looks like it has been through hell and back and the Asus seal was broken and replaced with some OCUK tape on the opposite side. Not happy.... :mad:

I would be sending that straight back personally... mashed up boy and broken tape seal means anything could have happened to it. very naughty form OCUK to ship it like that, as the box states not to accept if manufacturer seal is broken..

Drivers and bios seem to have fixed the WiFi and noise but I cannot fix the subwoofer/Audio issue.

I did not have this issue on the review model which was identical apart from a bigger SSD.

It's a bit weird although it sounds ok it makes all the audio appear to come from the left side of the laptop.

There is no fix from ASUS yet, and it is purely a driver issue, as you can see when you uninstall the Realtek drivers and use the default Windows ones (speakers and sub will be two separate devices that work fine individually). Read the thread on ROG forums, all the info is there...

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Just installed the G750JZ audio drivers and it's much better now. I can actually hear the top speakers now. The sub is still way to loud but it seems to be a bit more boomy.

This will do me until an update as it sounds pretty good for a laptop.

Soldato
OP
Is there a fix for slow WiFi as well ? I cannot acess the ROG forums from here.

I cannot get more than 40Mb download. Just tested with my Ipad on the same connection and get the full 150Mps..

How many issues does this machine have....:(

Edit - just to add this has a different WiFi card to my review machine. This is a 7x series whereas my other one was a 6x....

Just googled and it seems it's another issue of the laptop. Tbh I'm a bit fed up with it now and thinking of returning.

I might just try and see if I can buy the review one as at least it worked.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Can someone please explain the suffixes after the model number ie the difference between
a G751JY-T7009H, G751JY-DH71, and G751JY-T7117H

Different drive and CPU combinations as far as I'm aware...

I have given up with mine, I have an authorisation from Asus to return it to OCUK for a refund.

Soldato
OP
Oh that's a shame. I'm prepared to put up with the sound for now. Hopefully a driver will fix it soon. So what are you going to do now?

Using the G750 driver makes the audio better.

My issue is the slow wireless, no matter what I try I cannot get more than 40mbps download speed. I have tried drivers settings etc.

My crappy £200 laptop works fine at full speed.

What's more annoying is the review model I had did not have any of these issues but it did have a different wifi card...

It's a pain as apart from the WiFi it's ideal....

Associate
I haven't noticed the slow wireless issue, I downloaded my steam library onto the machine and that seemed to go fairly smoothly (it was in the vicinity of 75GB). I also haven't really noticed the sound issue, I don't always play with the sound up loud so maybe that's it.

I just picked up a monitor for it, due to space and budget constraints I chose the Asus
VX229H 22" Widescreen AH-IPS, I hope it does the laptop justice.

Does anyone know if I add this monitor to a pair of Asus VS228DE 22" Widescreen if I would be able to set up Nvidea Surround 2D with the 3 monitors. I realise I will have to get them all on VGA, but as there is only one VGA port on the G751, I was thinking a VGA splitter for 2 of them and a USB adapter for the other. Will this work, or is there another option? (I already have the adapter and the splitter so just trying to use what I have).

Thanks in advance,

Man of Honour
Using the G750 driver makes the audio better.

My issue is the slow wireless, no matter what I try I cannot get more than 40mbps download speed. I have tried drivers settings etc.

My crappy £200 laptop works fine at full speed.

What's more annoying is the review model I had did not have any of these issues but it did have a different wifi card...

It's a pain as apart from the WiFi it's ideal....

It's a bit disconcerting that your review model used different hardware to the retail version. Strikes me as a bit odd. Considering they were supposed to be the same model I wonder why they made the changes. I guess they were deemed hardware 'upgrades'. I have a 6mbps download speed with my provider so that issue wouldn't be a problem :D

Caporegime
Is there a fix for slow WiFi as well ? I cannot acess the ROG forums from here.

I cannot get more than 40Mb download. Just tested with my Ipad on the same connection and get the full 150Mps..

How many issues does this machine have....:(

Edit - just to add this has a different WiFi card to my review machine. This is a 7x series whereas my other one was a 6x....

Just googled and it seems it's another issue of the laptop. Tbh I'm a bit fed up with it now and thinking of returning.

I might just try and see if I can buy the review one as at least it worked.

Yes the wireless issue was also dealt with (for many) in a thread I made. http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...e-wireless-speeds-anyone-else-having-problems
My sub is always outputting audio even if the drivers are uninstalled.

Not if you follow the temporary process in the ROG thread, because they are two separate devices. You need to select the back speakers as default.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
WiFi is still an issue my router does not have the settings mentioned in the ROG thread.

I removed the drivers and had audio from either the sub or speakers. I could select one or the other. The Asus tech guy seemed to think this was a hardware fault more than software issue ?

There are just to many issues for me it should not have been released with issues like this especially the audio one.

It's going back for a refund and I will look at it again later on if the issues have been resolved.

Caporegime
WiFi is still an issue my router does not have the settings mentioned in the ROG thread.

I removed the drivers and had audio from either the sub or speakers. I could select one or the other. The Asus tech guy seemed to think this was a hardware fault more than software issue ?

There are just to many issues for me it should not have been released with issues like this especially the audio one.

It's going back for a refund and I will look at it again later on if the issues have been resolved.

The ASUS tech guy knows jack ****; because both work fine individually, so its clearly a driver issue. This is already well-established since weeks, it's not news.

The WiFI is surely just a setting that you haven't yet found, but unfortunately as I can't access your router, and you haven't told us the type you have, then it's hard to help.

Perhaps you got a golden sample.

If provided by ASUS this makes sense.

Soldato
OP
The ASUS tech guy knows jack ****; because both work fine individually, so its clearly a driver issue. This is already well-established since weeks, it's not news.

The WiFI is surely just a setting that you haven't yet found, but unfortunately as I can't access your router, and you haven't told us the type you have, then it's hard to help.

If provided by ASUS this makes sense.

Surely a driver issue would have been fixed by now especially such an obvious one. The Laptop has been available for nearly 2 months now ?

My Router is Virgins Superhub 2 and it does not have the setting that was mentioned in the ROG forum. I have tried all the other settings that could cause the problem but none work.

My other cheap laptop works fine on wireless at full speed and if I plug my USB Network card into the G751 it works perfectly fine.

For me when I'm spending £1600 of my own cash I expect things to work as expected from the off. Having quite a substantial issue like the Audio one to me is unacceptable and the wireless just adds to it.

Back
Top Bottom