Asus M3A32-MVP installation

Associate
Main reason for writing this regards a few installation issues that are to do with my particular installation but might just be of some general interest. Please note I'm not an expert or anything, just a tinkerer, so read it in that light.

1. I have a Thermalright SI128 cooler, which is very wide. It *just* fits inside the extensive array of mobo heatpipes (though I had to cut one of the tabs of the memory cooler to fit it once I verified the board was working and I knew I wouldn't have to return it [NB my X2 6400+ CPU [the 3.2 GHz one] is idling at 33C]). Installing this inside the case wasn't really an option.

2. The CPU fan connector is pretty much right under the cooler (easier to be sure to remember to fit it first if installing outside the case), as is the ATX 12V connector (I actually used a 4 -> 8 pin adaptor so I could fit it before installing into the case and conecting to the PSU).

3. If you use the memory heatpipe (doubtless unnecessary, but we do like shiny things, don't we?), one of the screw tabs for this is directly over one of the mobo mounting screw holes right by the CPU (I had to work a tiny blade driver in from the side to do this one up).

4. New sound hardware appeared after installing mobo drivers which wouldn't install from this CD or from WXP. Turned out these were installed from the Sapphire HD3850 video card drivers I got. The sound didn't work at first, and I had to make adjustments to the Sounds part of the WXP Control Panel. Currently working off the Asus Soundmax software, I haven't tried to get the ATI HD sound working.

Altogether, Crossfire etc running well and I'm pleased I got it. Should do me for a few years, and I have the option of dropping a quad-core CPU straight into it should they prove any good, once they are faster and cheaper.

Back
Top Bottom