Associate
Hi,

I've noticed a weird buzzing chirping noise on two boards

I've unplugged the pump
Put fans to 0% speed
It's not the gpu

The noise is very audible when launching a program or opening tabs on a browser

It's not crazy loud but annoying

Is it just some coil whine or can it be related to something else than the motherboard?

Thanks

Associate
Without hearing the sound it is hard to say. Many components on the motherboard could be causing the noise.

My 1st guess would be the power supply. Swap out power supply if you have a spare.

There could be a multitude of other reasons. Steps you can try to eliminate some of the possibilities.

Have a look over the motherboard and see if any components are loose. Especially anything related to power regulation.
Unplug your sound from the PC. Is the sound coming out of your speakers?
Unplug all but your boot drive. If your boot drive is an M.2 that would be handy.
Try dropping the CPU voltage in the BIOS. This would imply it is a dodgy power regulator capacitor.
Turn off any overclock you are doing (including the automatic one). See if this helps?

Associate
My Maximus XI hero has been flawless.

I posted the video to my Dad. He is the electronics expert. Hopefully he comes up with an answer.

Associate
Hi mate.
I showed the video's to my father. He pretty much said what I said. It is most likely related to power.

The most like culprit is the PSU as this is where the most power is in your system.

Failing that then it could be a power regulator on your motherboard.
  • Check for any loose components on the motherboard.
  • Turn off any overclocks on your motherboard.
  • Check what voltage is going to your RAM. If you have XMP enabled on RAM then disable it and set the RAM to 2666 and set the voltage to 1.2V.
My dad did say that you might have to just put up with it I'm afraid. :(

Associate
OP
Thanks a lot, I'll try to rma the psu if i can. It's an high quality one titanium seasonic... :(

For the rest I've tried to reset the bios, no oc, no xmp and it didn't changed anything

I've also noticed that the noise seems to react to the mouse movement

Also, there is absolutely no weird noise in the bios. Could this be some clue?

However I guess it's annoying but not harmful right?

Top Bottom