ASUS MAXIMUS V111 GENE M.2 /NEED HELP

Associate
UPgraded to skylake at xmas and im looking at the fast nvme drives,but im a bit confused about these new ssd,s,my asus maximus gene has a m.2 which supports both sata and pcie x4,what i want to know is does it support samsung 960 nvme or samsung sm951,i read somewhere that if i use the m.2 port it will disable 2 of my sata ports.thx

Soldato
Looks fine, plop a NVMe drive into the M.2 slot and enjoy the improved speeds. In PCI-e mode the M.2 slot runs independently of the SATA ports so in your scenario using either Samsung 960 or SM961 the SATA ports should still be still available. If you were to use a SATA based M.2 drive it states in the manual "SATA ports 1 and 2 will automatically disable when an M.2 card is installed".

Associate
OP
took the plunge and ordered the Samsung 960 evo 500gb,brillant fast delivery from oc.uk,installed win10,installed samsung nvme driver, and software, updated the firmware done the ssd tweaks, noticed in the bios aftet installing the 960 evo that sata ports 5 and 6 must be disabled as its not showing my old sata3 ssd in port 6 even though it still says there enabled weird, samsung stated speeds of 3200 read 1800 write, ran ssd benchmark and got 2650 read, 1600 write, i then ran the samsung benchmark, this time i only got 2000 read, 1600 write, tried a few things but cant get the stated speeds, i ve got the same setup that samsung used in there tests so i should be getting full speed, i only have a single gtx1080 and a sound card in the bottom X4 so i dont think it has anything to do with pci lanes, any help is welcomed..

Back
Top Bottom