Asus Premium overclocking limit

Associate
This is my first thread, so figers crossed for a decent response.

I just put together a new system, my first since since the days when XP-M ruled.

I've got an Opteron 144 on a Asus premium with 2x1 gigs of XMS3500LL. I've lowered the HTT multi to x3, lowered the divider to 166 and am putting 1.5v through the core. I am topping out at 2.6ghz (9x289) dead on. Now, I am quite sure that the CPU has got at least a little more in it as I am both 4 hours prime stable and superpi 32m, i've had the ram at 250 without any problems and i am not even 40C under load. But if i push the HTT from 289 to 290 it refuses to boot. I can enter set-up without a problem (i love the fact i don't need to open the case up every 15 mins to reset the CMOS) but i just can't get any further despite the fact that i am within the limits of each component (except perhaps the motherboard).

Does anyone know is it can be pushed any further? I have 1008 BIOS by the way.

Thanks

Associate
OP
305 would be more than satisfactory. I knew FX57 speeds would probably be a bridge too far with this set up, but by most accounts I thought that 2.7 might just be a runner.

Am I right in thinking that this BIOS update is as straight forward as downloading and then installing it through windows? Also will it reset the current bios settings or will they remain? I'll be giving it a shot tonight no matter what, but I just want a heads up so I know what to expect.

Thanks very much Subxero

Soldato
It's as simple as that yes, I used the Asus Update through windows, although I downloaded the BIOS first and did it, rather that allowing Asus Update to connect to some random server to update my bios. Your current BIOS settings should reman unless there are any new options available.

No probs matey, I don't have this board anymore, switched over to a Sapphire Pure Innovation for the time being, but I can't remember what my exact settings were.

Firstly you need to lower your HTT multi to x3, decrease your CPU multi, and increase your HTT until your cpu drops out. Make sure your memory is on a big divider with loose timings so that it can utilise such a big HTT, but dont forget its better to find a sweet spot of a higher multi and a resonable HTT to get a better overclock. Then tighten all of your other settings up later on.

I think my sweet spot was 9.5 multi and 275 HTT, something like that and I can't actually remember the divider I was working on (all depends on your ram). Don't forget you will need to play with your voltages and may have to up some of them a bit, but dont ram silly voltages through your CPU :)

Back
Top Bottom