Asus Prime X370-Pro Owner's thread

Associate
Hello,

Can anyone who has this board please post your experiences/issues?

I've heard after overclocking the CPU it doesn't reduce the frequency so it just sticks to the overclocked set speed. On my FX-8350 the frequency goes down when CPU is idle.

Soldato
That is true about the downclock at idle, but I am sure they will address that in an update. Or, at least, I hope so.

Also, the number lock does not stay locked.

Memory speeds are a bit restricted.

Other thing to note, it really didn't like a USB 3 hub of mine, despite the same hub being fine on a B350 prime plus.

Easy enough board to overclock - the cpu that is.

Pity there is no reset switch for bios...

Apart from that, seems solid enough

Associate
OP
Thanks eyetrip. That's some really helpful info, I hope these issues are fixed in the next bios update. I really wanted a Taichi or the Gigabyte x370 K7 but there hasn't been any stock come in yet so I went with the Prime.

I thought you could reset the bios by keeping hold of the power button when the computer is off, but maybe that's a feature on some boards only.

Associate
Thanks eyetrip. That's some really helpful info, I hope these issues are fixed in the next bios update. I really wanted a Taichi or the Gigabyte x370 K7 but there hasn't been any stock come in yet so I went with the Prime.

I thought you could reset the bios by keeping hold of the power button when the computer is off, but maybe that's a feature on some boards only.

Never heard of that. Usually that's simply to drain any caps on the board after removing the power.

I for one am happy to have a CMOS Clear and reset switches on the C6H with the unstable BIOS to date, from an OC perspective.

It all needs time for sure.

The Prime should benefit from the reasonably rapid progress on C6H too. To me it seems they're scrabbling to find stability and are no doubt working with AMD. The memory speed stuff is annoying, can only get 2966 on my 3200 RAM, and was hoping to get 3400+.

Associate
OP
Never heard of that. Usually that's simply to drain any caps on the board after removing the power.

I for one am happy to have a CMOS Clear and reset switches on the C6H with the unstable BIOS to date, from an OC perspective.

It all needs time for sure.

The Prime should benefit from the reasonably rapid progress on C6H too. To me it seems they're scrabbling to find stability and are no doubt working with AMD. The memory speed stuff is annoying, can only get 2966 on my 3200 RAM, and was hoping to get 3400+.
Oh right, I'm pretty sure I have been given advice in the past when I had issues that I should keep hold of the power button to clear settings. Must be to drain the caps like you said.

I won't mess around with my bios when I get mine in a few days until a more stable bios has been released. Yeah them switches are handy to have on the back I/O panel so no opening the case every time you mess up an OC.

Hopefully they'll be able to find the cause of the issues and fix and release a good stable bios soon.

Associate
Oh right, I'm pretty sure I have been given advice in the past when I had issues that I should keep hold of the power button to clear settings. Must be to drain the caps like you said.

I won't mess around with my bios when I get mine in a few days until a more stable bios has been released. Yeah them switches are handy to have on the back I/O panel so no opening the case every time you mess up an OC.

Hopefully they'll be able to find the cause of the issues and fix and release a good stable bios soon.

BIOS 1001 is pretty good for me.

RE draining caps, it's mainly so you don't get a massive shock (and fry your board), they can store enough energy to make you jump a few feet :)

Good luck.

Associate
OP
BIOS 1001 is pretty good for me.

RE draining caps, it's mainly so you don't get a massive shock (and fry your board), they can store enough energy to make you jump a few feet :)

Good luck.
Oh right so that's what it is, you learn something new.

Thanks, that's good to know. I should be receiving my build by Tuesday, should be good I can't wait to test it out. :)

Associate
Bricked mine trying upgrade the BIOS, had it working for like a day... decided to upgrade and no longer boots, two beeps and nothing.
Tried the recovery method of dropping the BIOS onto a USB stick and then the CD/DVD drive.

Going back under RMA, just purchased another one from OCUK for Sunday delivery! Shame they don't have the CH6 otherwise I would have switched it over.

Associate
OP
Bricked mine trying upgrade the BIOS, had it working for like a day... decided to upgrade and no longer boots, two beeps and nothing.
Tried the recovery method of dropping the BIOS onto a USB stick and then the CD/DVD drive.

Going back under RMA, just purchased another one from OCUK for Sunday delivery! Shame they don't have the CH6 otherwise I would have switched it over.
Did you brick it by updating it through windows or the bios?

That's the thing I like about the Gigabyte boards they have double bios so you can switch over to the other one if it messes up.

Associate
Stupidly through Windows haha, been a while since I did one as I moved from an old sandybride... in fact Gigabyte.
The dual bios is a good idea, can't see why they wouldn't implement something like this, not like it would much more to drop another chip on the board.

Well I've learned my lesson and will never be doing it from Windows ever again lol

Associate
OP
Stupidly through Windows haha, been a while since I did one as I moved from an old sandybride... in fact Gigabyte.
The dual bios is a good idea, can't see why they wouldn't implement something like this, not like it would much more to drop another chip on the board.

Well I've learned my lesson and will never be doing it from Windows ever again lol
Oh right that's really too bad, I hope you have better luck next time. you're right, they can put double bios chips on the boards as Gigabyte has been doing them for ages.

That's good to know for me too, I won't be doing it from Windows either.

Associate
I have the x370 pro aswell, gskill tridentz 3200 14-14-14-34-1T working fine, only problem I have is that after each shutdown I have to clearcmos, otherwise it wont boot, anyone else notice this ?
Memory worked at 3200 even with the 0502 bios, using the 0504 right now.
I thought about hookin my reset button up to clearcmos aswell, but so far I have been diving under my table with a screwdriver at hand!

Back
Top Bottom