Asus Rampage III Extreame

Associate
Hi

I have been thinking for a while now about jumping in at the deep end, by going to a Asus Rampage iii Exteame mobo with a I7 950 or 960, triple channel memory, the rest of the PC would be as is, later changing the graphics card for GTX 5xo series, has anyone done this yet?

Associate
hear that sandybridge has a lot of probs at the moment.

One problem. And it got sorted.

I have a great fondness for that board but tis true...if you're doing a new build right now you should be buying the latest spec (unless ur on a budget...which you're not cos ur looking at the R III extreme :p)

Associate
OP
One problem. And it got sorted.

I have a great fondness for that board but tis true...if you're doing a new build right now you should be buying the latest spec (unless ur on a budget...which you're not cos ur looking at the R III extreme :p)
your @ 4Ghz i am mid way to adding a water chiller to my current water cooling system, hoping to more out, do you think that it will worth the change

Associate
your @ 4Ghz i am mid way to adding a water chiller to my current water cooling system, hoping to more out, do you think that it will worth the change

You're adding a water chiller to your Q9650 xtreeme? I don't know if you can push it much up higher than 4Ghz for 24/7 use...I've seen people with 4.5 Ghz on that cpu before but their voltages were insane - like 1.5V.

It will be an upgrade for you if you run the SB chip at 4Ghz, but depending on what you do it might not be that noticeable. 2500K will be 25-30% faster per clock, but if you game, you won't notice much of an FPS gain. If you are looking to upgrade now though, def go SB and not x58.

Soldato
To the OP: May I ask what you mainly use your system for?

If its mainly gaming then your current CPU (4GHz Yorkfield C2Q) should be plenty for all modern games. In contrast, upgrading the graphics to a GTX 580 (like you mention in the OP) would provide a massive performance boost (have a look at this comparison), just make sure your PSU is up to the job.

However, if you mainly run CPU heavy applications then going for a Sandy Bridge CPU (the i7 2600K would be a good bet) will yield quite a bit more performance, and will happily overclock up to ~4.5GHz. There was an issue with the chipset - but so long as you buy a B3 revision motherboard (these are clearly marked) you will be fine.

Back
Top Bottom