asus rma issue

Associate
Hi guys/girls

I was wondering if someone could give me any advice on the following :

I sent a Asus X370 hero to my retailer (wil not give name) on there advice they said 1-2 week turn around.

I chased a few times through email as no telephone number then when It was over 4 weeks I chased again and the retailer emailed they had a plan b.

They have sourced another x370 hero and would send out whatever comes back first so I can get on with things as no contact from Asus.

I then recived a email saying they have fully updated and tested the replacement board and will send it out, great I thought.

Got a email from them today to say Asus could not repair and they are issuing a partial refund to the retailer.

I got home and looked at the replacement motherboard as It arrived today also and the heat sink cover was scratched and the fan 3 header and usb 2 header was bent.

I have discovered they purchased the board from eBay 153236496706 after some detective work. this was confirmed by the serial number. Is this normal for a retailer to do this ? legally would I still have warranty it was sent back in my original box.

They have tried to explain it as they no longer sell the boards and had to source it from someone, they said the pins could easily be bent back and they could try and get me a replacement heatsink.

I feel bad for them but if I was kept in the loop they could have saved there selves a lot of time and effort.

They have said there limited in there options for resolution – Asus aren’t really leaving them in a great situation but obviously They have tried to take action to fix it for me and get me back up and running while Asus dragged their feet

I have now asked how much refund as I have my pc on display and the scratches will bug me as there was none on mine . The main issue I have is I don’t trust eBay for pc components espically motherboards,

my board was less then a year old.

Any thoughts would be welcome I dont have a clue where to go from here :(

Soldato
You'll have to look up on consumer law but basically if they can't repair or replace satisfactorily you're entitled to a refund minus a bit for the use you've had out of the product.
There will be some guidelines on how much they can deduct from the refund.. Probably based on retail price and how long you owned it before it developed a fault.
So if the board is a hundred quid and a board will reasonably last 10 years, they could knock 10% off the full retail price for example but you'd have to look it up.

Or you could ask if they'll just give you a new different x370 board of equivalent spec?

Why haven't Asus sent the retailer a new identical or better board to pass on to you though? Or credited the retailer so the retailer can give you an equivalent new board?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
To be honest I don’t know the only option the retailer gave me was the replacement I think to speed things up for me I simply just got a email to say they have sourced one for me.

Im guessing As they did not know the result from Asus It was only today when I got a email to say hope my boards ok and the retailer are to be issued a partial refund as the board could not be repaired Asus did not offer a replacement as far as I’m aware

Soldato
Well at the end of the the day the contract of sale is between you and the retailer. If they can't or won't get a new board from Asus and the replacement board they supplied you is unsatisfactory then they'll have to either give you a new equivalent board or refund you.

Bit shady they bought a board off ebay though. You're within your rights to reject it if it's damaged and they can either cough up a better replacement or refund you.

Soldato
depends how big the reseller is, if they are able to buy directly like OCUK or they use a distributor like Spire (think they are one of 2 in the UK) . Normally the board would be sent to themselves are direct to ASUS EU to be assessed, repaired and if needs be replaced - always the last option .

Seen here with Gigabyte if they couldn't fix it or had multiple problems they'll replace it, and like GPU vendors if they couldn't find a model would upgrade it for newer version .

Guessing when you bought the X370 Hero was a lot cheaper then what OCUK were selling it for ? anyone reading this- lesson of were you buy from and also support for Vendors

Associate
depends how big the reseller is, if they are able to buy directly like OCUK or they use a distributor like Spire (think they are one of 2 in the UK) . Normally the board would be sent to themselves are direct to ASUS EU to be assessed, repaired and if needs be replaced - always the last option .

Seen here with Gigabyte if they couldn't fix it or had multiple problems they'll replace it, and like GPU vendors if they couldn't find a model would upgrade it for newer version .

Guessing when you bought the X370 Hero was a lot cheaper then what OCUK were selling it for ? anyone reading this- lesson of were you buy from and also support for Vendors
This!
Reason why I only use OcUK

Associate
OP
It was a x370 hero motherboard, I have now sent the motherboard back to the retailer they have agreed to refund in full once board had been sent back.
They received the board over the weekend I have not heard back from them yet.

Even though I have a ryzen 7 1700 i'm looking at the gigabyte x470 gaming 7 as im feed up with the amount of time Asus has taken.

Back
Top Bottom