• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

ASUS RMA.

Soldato
Can anyone here help me, my GTX 670 stopped working so I have spent nearly £40 sending it to OcUK having it tested then being told there is nothing wrong. So I'm assuming the issue is my motherboard, it's an ASUS P8P67 Pro v3.1.

Okay, the spec:

Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 PRO REV 3.1
RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz DDR3 RAM
Power Supply: NZXT Hale90 700W PSU
Graphics: 2x ASUS GTX 560TIs Factory Overclocked (*MSI GTX 670 Power Edition)
Sound: ASUS Xonar DGX Sound Card
Storage: Crucial M4 128GB SSD
Processor: Intel Core i7 2600k 3.8Ghz
Cooling: Corsair A50 Heatsink
Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

*Card shown in Italic/Yellow is the one that is faulty, the other two cards in SLI work without any issue no matter what.

Okay, the issue:

I would power on the PC, and everything would start up, the monitor displays "No Signal" and the PCI-E LED lights up on the motherboard. However I can hear the windows boot sound through my speakers indicating that even though I cannot see anything on my monitor the PC has actually booted successfully into the Windows OS.

I then power down the PC and then power it on again straight after, this causes it to boot without issue and I can see the monitor fine. I did this (powering it on and off till it booted into the Windows OS and displayed fine on the monitor) for two days, then I though I may as well just leave the PC on and save myself the trouble. I did this for about a week. Then one day I accidentally clicked shut-down instead of logout and the PC would not boot at all after that.

The issue was somewhat the same, I would power the PC on, "No Signal" displays on the monitor and the PCI-E LED would light up again, however with my speakers turned on there would be no Windows boot sound. This indicates that the PC was no longer booting into windows as before and had completely stopped working.

I then put my two ASUS GTX 560TIs back into the PC, powered it on and it worked straight away, no fuss or trouble at all.

At this point I contacted OcUK and arranged the RMA, sent back the card for testing and have received this message back. "Graphics card posts fine. Ran heaven benchmark on extreme settings for 48 hours.". This shows that OcUK managed to boot into windows without issue.

I must urge, all drivers and the bios were as up to date as I could get them. If they were not running a newer version at any point it was for testing purpose or because they simply were not available. However, at some point everything was running on it's latest firmware.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

EDIT: There appears to be a new bios out for my motherboard that shows these fixes:

1.Improve compatibility with Windows 8 OS.
2.Improve system stability.
3.Enhance compatibility with some USB devices.
4.Fixed Nvidia GTX 680 hang when running with UEFI driver.
5.Support new CPUs. Please refer to our website at: http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

I will try this as soon as my card arrives but I'm not holding out much hope.

EDIT 2: Did nothing issue persists.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Do you know anyone who would let you try their graphics card before you send the mobo back?

This is the page you want:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/webnote.php#rma

I'm using two GTX 560TIs without issue at the moment. Also the PC booted fine for a while with the GTX 670 just displayed a no signal message on my monitor and the PCI-E LED came on. However powering down the PC and rebooting made it all work okay, I thought it was just an issue cold booting. Then after a week or two it just stopped booting completely.

EDIT: The motherboard was not purchased from OcUK so I need to go to ASUS directly?

Soldato
EDIT: The motherboard was not purchased from OcUK so I need to go to ASUS directly?

Good luck with that one! :eek:

I think they are notoriously bad for service?

If it is working with 2 x 560 Ti's I would still personally suspect the card however,

It will be well worth checking the BIOS revisions for your board, you are looking for a later BIOS that improves graphics card compatibility.

Soldato
Please be aware that flashing the bios can be risky - do plenty of reading before you start (in other words - learn the safest way to do it!) otherwise you may bork the board.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Good luck with that one! :eek:

I think they are notoriously bad for service?

If it is working with 2 x 560 Ti's I would still personally suspect the card however,

It will be well worth checking the BIOS revisions for your board, you are looking for a later BIOS that improves graphics card compatibility.

My bios is up to date and at the latest version.

If it's the motherboard at fault I'm likely going to just buy another motherboard. Preferable Gigabyte.

Soldato

If it's the motherboard at fault I'm likely going to just buy another motherboard. Preferable Gigabyte.

All I can suggest is trying the suspect card in another PC before you go to the trouble of trying to send the board back.

Edit: or before buying a new board.

Last edited:
Soldato
you need to try tht gpu in another machine and see if u can put another gpu back into ur machine.

Then u will know whats wrong with it.

Depending how / how long they tested it it might not have come up with an error.

Soldato

If you don't need SLI/CF, what not try give this B-Grade a go?
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=BG-252-GI&groupid=595&catid=689&subcat=

Only £35...the postage to RMA the board to Asus would most like cost that much, and the RMA proceeding with Asus could be more stress than its worth (particularly if you didn't buy it from a well-recognised retailer).

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
you need to try tht gpu in another machine and see if u can put another gpu back into ur machine.

Then u will know whats wrong with it.

Depending how / how long they tested it it might not have come up with an error.

The error would only come up during booting, if I powered off the machine after it failed to boot, then powered it back on it worked without issue. I ran the card for a good week without shutting down the PC then one day accidentally turned it off and it completely stopped booting after that. I'm also using two GTX 560TIs in my PC atm in SLI without issue so I have no idea what could be the issue. I'll do a proper write up of the issue after the walking dead has finished.

Associate
This story reminds me of the trouble I had with my GTX460 a year or two ago. Complete nightmare getting it sorted, it tested my patience and fault finding skills to the limit. I RMA'd straight back to Gigabyte, rather than through OCUK who I bought the card from and another supplier who I got the motherboard from. Turned out that it was the GTX460 at fault, despite everything pointing towards the motherboard. Gigabyte replaced the graphics card, and it worked in my motherboard for 12 months until I recently upgraded to a new Z77 board (also Gigabyte). The replaced GTX460 then refused to work with the Z77, so had to be RMA'd again. Spent loads of time and a fair bit of money sending the card and motherboard for testing. My next graphics card will be AMD.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I have done some asking and managed to get a friend willing to let me use the GTX 670 in his PC when I have time. At least this should solidify what OcUK have said if it does work in his PC.

I also have a P5Q, Q6600 and some Corsair XMS2 RAM I could stick into my current system when I have time if that would work?

Back
Top Bottom