ASUS ROG Gaming Phone...

Soldato
I don't understand why they keep packing more and more power into phones. The games on them are mediocre at best and the heat generated is usually far too much within minutes. Can we not just go for pure efficiency and battery life, something that people could actually use?

That's not how software/hardware works sadly. The software and hardware industries work in tandem to milk as much cash as possible. Software becomes less efficient, bloated; this creates an artificial necessity for hardware to always be upgraded.

Even basic messenger apps have been slowed down by thousands of percent so they require new hardware, even though the software is performing exactly the same function as 10 years ago.

What is the cause of all this? It's the idiots with more money than sense who lap it up and also the idiots with no money and no sense who take out phones on finance lol; this levels up the playing field letting cr-app devs to become more lazy, code poorly, etc.

Like that iPhone X. Through thorough psychological assessments lasting up to 5 years I have ascertained that at least 42% of all people who I know with an iPhone X have purchased it for absolutely NO practical reasons whatsoever. At least 70% have purchased it because they think it makes them appear rich, and a considerable percentage have purchased it because they think it will aid them in being sexually gratified by someone of the opposite sex. Even Steve Jobs himself advertised the iPhone as a sex attainment device once.

Soldato
They've probably looked at what Samsung gets away with and gone yep, we'll have that! Looking at the spec, they can maybe about justify it compared to the iPhone and Note 9 pricing.

Last edited:
Soldato
I won't personally be getting it, but I half expected 1K plus because:

• LED lights everywhere
  • Custom ports
  • Custom 90Hz OLED
  • Pre binned CPU
  • Supports lots of different standards (DTS, Quick Charge) - all of which cost to implement, if only for the license.
  • Large storage capacity
  • ASUS
  • ASUS
  • ASUS
  • ROG
  • ROG
  • ROG

Caporegime
They've probably looked at what Samsung gets away with and gone yep, we'll have that! Looking at the spec, they can maybe about justify it compared to the iPhone and Note 9 pricing.

It depends, the phones unique selling points for me are the accessories. Except they'll be premium priced too.

I want an Asus ROG phone, but if it's going to cost me anymore than 40 pound a month all in, then it's a no from me.

Caporegime
I expect its going to be a no from anyone who expects it to be less than a premium Samsung or Iphone to be honest. MrRockliffe sums it up pretty well above. ASUS + ROG + HIGH SPEC = PRICEY.

I'm happy to pay that price if I get everything with the phone for that price.
But I'm expecting it to be priced as a premium samsung or iphone and then have to pay separately for the accessories at probably the cost of a high end GPU. Which is too far.

Associate
OP
Apple tax though. In my opinion Asus aren't able to command such a premium. I like the specs but their build quality is hardly the stuff of legend.

£800 I'd pay max - XZ2 Premium money.

Caporegime
It looks like this is landing at the end of the month at least in the states.

I wonder what carriers will have it here for contract.

I just want to see a successor to the Xperia play and this looks like it comes closest with the accessories.

Associate
I was really into getting this phone when I first seen it but now I'm just not excited by it. I think that all the accessories look amazing am I realistically going to use them? No.

Associate
OP
18th October is the US preorder date with prices starting at 899 dollars for 128GB and 1099 for 512GB.

Accessory prices are damned expensive, the desktop dock is around 230 dollars.

Associate
OP
18th October is the US preorder date with prices starting at 899 dollars for 128GB and 1099 for 512GB.

Caporegime

Exactly as expected.

I can stomach the phone price on a contract.
But the accessories are what make the device more unique, and if you get the main ones you've doubled the cost which I can't stomach.

I guess I'd just be after the game vice at an absolute minimum which I can handle.

Back
Top Bottom