• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Asus ROG Strix 3090 OC - Stopped working suddenly.

Associate
Hi all,

My PC knowledge is quite limited so looking for some advice on how to troubleshoot:

Whilst playing New World, AFK in town, my PC shutdown suddenly. When I went to reboot it, it was clear something was off. No blue screens or anything, no error messages, just shutdown.

It proceeds to spin up normally, my RAM on my mobo lights up, but quite quickly my GPU lights flash once, then clicks, does the same again, and does nothing, no lights, no fans, seems dead, and my PC fails to boot.

As a quick test when I take the GPU out and connect the display cable to my mobo, my pc boots up as per normal, but I don't get a display. Assuming this is until I remove Nvidia drivers anyway.

Given the PC a good clean, and I think the PSU is ok as power is getting to the machine.

Any tips on how to troubleshoot what I think is a GPU issue?

I think its pertinent for me to add the game I was playing, as there were issues with the EVGA cards bricking themselves during the Beta phase of the game and this was patched. EVGA replaced a lot of the cards, as they were at fault. I've been playing the game since it launched for a month and a bit and not experienced this issue in beta either.

Bit lost.

Help appreciated. No other app was running at the time aside from a google browser maybe.

Link to a recording of the boot process: https://imgur.com/a/VMxLXMZ

Many thanks,

Luvvo

Last edited:
Soldato
looks to be another new world victim, there have been plenty reports a few months back that that game was killing 3090's full stop and the symtoms your describing look very similar to what others have had happen, the only thing i can suggest is try the card in another pc and if you get the same issue then the card is dead, start a rma to get a replacment or refund.

there were a few things you could do to stop the problem like limiting your frame rate to around 60fps but if your not getting a display out afterwards its not a good sign at all

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi all,

My PC knowledge is quite limited so looking for some advice on how to troubleshoot:

Whilst playing New World, AFK in town, my PC shutdown suddenly. When I went to reboot it, it was clear something was off. No blue screens or anything, no error messages, just shutdown.

It proceeds to spin up normally, my RAM on my mobo lights up, but quite quickly my GPU lights flash once, then clicks, does the same again, and does nothing, no lights, no fans, seems dead, and my PC fails to boot.

As a quick test when I take the GPU out and connect the display cable to my mobo, my pc boots up as per normal, but I don't get a display. Assuming this is until I remove Nvidia drivers anyway.

Given the PC a good clean, and I think the PSU is ok as power is getting to the machine.

I think its pertinent for me to add the game I was playing, as there were issues with the EVGA cards bricking themselves during the Beta phase of the game and this was patched. EVGA replaced a lot of the cards, as they were at fault. I've been playing the game since it launched for a month and a bit and not experienced this issue in beta either.

Bit lost.

Help appreciated. No other app was running at the time aside from a google browser maybe.

Many thanks,

Luvvo

Full specs of your pc will help. PSU,CPU,MOBO etc etc.. Does the cpu even have an IGP.. also if it has one you may need to clear the cmos/BIOS to be able to get it to show an image on the IGP as you may have set it to the PCIE slot for video. You should get an image if the GPU is out and you have made sure the IGP is enabled in the BIOS. Windows will auto load default drivers for it anyways.

So I would check that first as it maybe something else causing the issue and not your 3090.. PSU maybe also going bad on some of the rails ? We need more info of your system. Otherwise we will all just be guessing. But as said if the CPU has an IGP you should get video from the motherboard.

Also the Strix card has red LEDS on the pcie connectors on the card, are they coming on ? They are on the back side of the gpu board right next to the connectors.

Last edited:
Soldato
Your rtx3090 probably has a blown VRM capacitor caused by going too far above the official power limit due to nvidia's aggressive power management and new world's knack for being the new furmark

you should have lowered the card's power limits when playing new world to prevent gpu damage, or at least that's what recommended. Just rma the gpu and lower the power limit on the new one to prevent component damage

Associate
OP
Full specs of your pc will help. PSU,CPU,MOBO etc etc.. Does the cpu even have an IGP.. also if it has one you may need to clear the cmos/BIOS to be able to get it to show an image on the IGP as you may have set it to the PCIE slot for video. You should get an image if the GPU is out and you have made sure the IGP is enabled in the BIOS. Windows will auto load default drivers for it anyways.

So I would check that first as it maybe something else causing the issue and not your 3090.. PSU maybe also going bad on some of the rails ? We need more info of your system. Otherwise we will all just be guessing. But as said if the CPU has an IGP you should get video from the motherboard.

Also the Strix card has red LEDS on the pcie connectors on the card, are they coming on ? They are on the back side of the gpu board right next to the connectors.

CPU - AMD Ryzen 9 3900X Twelve Core 4.6GHz
CPU Cooler - Corsair Hydro Series iCUE H115i PRO XT RGB Performance Liquid Cooler - 280mm
MOBO - Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE (AMD AM4) DDR4 X570
RAM - Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO Black 32GB (4x8GB) 3600 MHz AMD Ryzen Tuned DDR4
SSD - WD Black 1TB SN750 M.2 2280 NVME PCI-E Gen3
PSU - Corsair 1000W Gold

Drivers are up to date for everything, but the BIOS was maybe 1-2 behind.

What do you mean be IGP?

The PSU is probably the oldest part of my system to be fair, but its been consistent and never had any issues with it.

Associate
OP
Your rtx3090 probably has a blown VRM capacitor caused by going too far above the official power limit due to nvidia's aggressive power management and new world's knack for being the new furmark

you should have lowered the card's power limits when playing new world to prevent gpu damage, or at least that's what recommended. Just rma the gpu and lower the power limit on the new one to prevent component damage

Hi Grim,

Maybe, at the time I was not stressing the card at all, and I've not altered its factory set OC at all. Nor have I played around with voltage.

Will kick off the RMA process. I imagine thats better done with ASUS directly, and not OC UK?

Many thanks,

Soldato
CPU - AMD Ryzen 9 3900X Twelve Core 4.6GHz
CPU Cooler - Corsair Hydro Series iCUE H115i PRO XT RGB Performance Liquid Cooler - 280mm
MOBO - Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE (AMD AM4) DDR4 X570
RAM - Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO Black 32GB (4x8GB) 3600 MHz AMD Ryzen Tuned DDR4
SSD - WD Black 1TB SN750 M.2 2280 NVME PCI-E Gen3
PSU - Corsair 1000W Gold

Drivers are up to date for everything, but the BIOS was maybe 1-2 behind.

What do you mean be IGP?

The PSU is probably the oldest part of my system to be fair, but its been consistent and never had any issues with it.

There is no IGP graphics processor in the cpu. So you will never get video from the motherboard. You will need a cpu with an IGP intergrated graphics processor to get video from the motherboard. So your only option is to try another graphics card.

Try different PCIE rails (gpu power connectors on the psu side) on the psu to rule out any that may have gone too. Another thing to try is try the Strix in another pc with a suitable PSU too. Also try the gpu on a different 16x slot on the motherboard the one down from the top one.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
There is no IGP graphics processor in the cpu. So you will never get video from the motherboard. You will need a cpu with an IGP intergrated graphics processor to get video from the motherboard. So your only option is to try another graphics card.

Try different PCIE rails on the psu to rule out any that may have gone too. Another thing to try is try the Strix in another pc with a suitable PSU too. Also try the gpu on a different 16x slot on the motherboard the one down from the top one.

Ah I understand now re the CPU, always assumed it was the MOBO that had that.

Will see if I can test the other options you listed over the weekend. Thanks Purgatory.

Soldato
Ah I understand now re the CPU, always assumed it was the MOBO that had that.

Will see if I can test the other options you listed over the weekend. Thanks Purgatory.

No it's the cpu that has the graphics on it or not and motherboards come with video outs even if cpu used has no IGPU.

Soldato
Hi Grim,

Maybe, at the time I was not stressing the card at all, and I've not altered its factory set OC at all. Nor have I played around with voltage.

Will kick off the RMA process. I imagine thats better done with ASUS directly, and not OC UK?

Many thanks,

OCUK has 10+ of the 3090 strix in stock so I would rma it with them as they have stock and they should swap it out. If the card is found faulty of course. Rule out your motherboard pcie slots by trying the other 16x slot and psu too. If you have another graphics card try that too or if you can borrow one .

Soldato

Sorry, but users of GPUs shouldn't be required to do any of this. If the GPU can not run safe and sound out of the box then that GPU isn't fit for sale.

OP

It looks like you sadly have to send the GPU back :(

Caporegime
Sorry, but users of GPUs shouldn't be required to do any of this. If the GPU can not run safe and sound out of the box then that GPU isn't fit for sale.

OP

It looks like you sadly have to send the GPU back :(

Whilst I agree. It is well known that game kills GPU's and specifically 3090.

It would be ignorant not to take precautions.

It's similar to say buying a car then revving the absolute nuts off it. Then complaining the engine blew up. That the manufacturer shouldn't have allowed you to do that and put limiters in place.

Amazon, manufacturer and user all play a part in this. Whilst I agree this shouldn't be happening the fact majority of us know it happens you should be putting your power limit down to 75% to be on the safe side.

Associate
OP
OCUK has 10+ of the 3090 strix in stock so I would rma it with them as they have stock and they should swap it out. If the card is found faulty of course. Rule out your motherboard pcie slots by trying the other 16x slot and psu too. If you have another graphics card try that too or if you can borrow one .

I managed to get a hold of my old 1070, and the PC spun up like normal with no problems at all.

Think that narrows it back down to the GPU issue.

Thanks,

Associate
My card is also the Strix 3090 OC and my GPU also randomly died but playing Forza Horizon 5, New World has never been near my system as its a game I'm not interested in. Watched that video above in the first post and mine does the same thing when powering it up, I get a split second of power to the card and rest of the system, RGB ram stays lit and the rest of the system is powers off. Once I took the 3090 out my system booted just fine to the desktop but as I use a 5950x and had no spare GPU at the time I couldn't see anything but I knew it as at the desktop as my RGB lights changed. Popped my card back in, even in a different slot and again only split second of power.

My GPU was only 11 months old, never had a single issue, no warning signs that something was wrong, GPU temps never passed 69c, VRAM temps were always around 80c to 85c so temps were well below the max temps, happily playing FH5 and the system instantly shut off and that was the end of that card it seems.

Managed to buy a new 1050 Ti from OCUK to at least get me a display and even play some games temporarily, and so far my system has been up and running for 4 days straight without a single issue so the PSU seems ok, can't 100% rule the PSU out though as the 1050 Ti is slot powered only so can't test the cables with another card. My PSU is the Corsair AX1600i so way over powered even for a 3090 and 5950x, but the voltages according to icue are stable and rock solid.

Sent mine off for RMA to a competitor a few days ago so hopefully I'll hear back shortly but I'm pretty sure the GPU is dead and the PSU is ok considering the video above does the same thing.

Even if the game does go over the power limit, the Strix 3090 OC is a 480w/500w GPU if you max out the power limit and but runs at about 390w when stock so surely the VRM is more than sufficient as it has to be built to with stand that massive power limit. My card has spent 99% of it's life at the 390w stock limit so technically had tons of extra headroom if a game is using much more power than it should be, and according to afterburner my card never broke passed 390w at stock in the games I played.

Last edited:
Soldato
My card is also the Strix 3090 OC and my GPU also randomly died but playing Forza Horizon 5, New World has never been near my system as its a game I'm not interested in. Watched that video above in the first post and mine does the same thing when powering it up, I get a split second of power to the card and rest of the system, RGB ram stays lit and the rest of the system is powers off. Once I took the 3090 out my system booted just fine to the desktop but as I use a 5950x and had no spare GPU at the time I couldn't see anything but I knew it as at the desktop as my RGB lights changed. Popped my card back in, even in a different slot and again only split second of power.

My GPU was only 11 months old, never had a single issue, no warning signs that something was wrong, GPU temps never passed 69c, VRAM temps were always around 80c to 85c so temps were well below the max temps, happily playing FH5 and the system instantly shut off and that was the end of that card it seems.

Managed to buy a new 1050 Ti from OCUK to at least get me a display and even play some games temporarily, and so far my system has been up and running for 4 days straight without a single issue so the PSU seems ok, can't 100% rule the PSU out though as the 1050 Ti is slot powered only so can't test the cables with another card. My PSU is the Corsair AX1600i so way over powered even for a 3090 and 5950x, but the voltages according to icue are stable and rock solid.

Sent mine off for RMA to a competitor a few days ago so hopefully I'll hear back shortly but I'm pretty sure the GPU is dead and the PSU is ok considering the video above does the same thing.

Even if the game does go over the power limit, the Strix 3090 OC is a 480w/500w GPU if you max out the power limit and but runs at about 390w when stock so surely the VRM is more than sufficient as it has to be built to with stand that massive power limit. My card has spent 99% of it's life at the 390w stock limit so technically had tons of extra headroom if a game is using much more power than it should be, and according to afterburner my card never broke passed 390w at stock in the games I played.

All 3090 cards have transient 1ms spikes that are 200w+ above official power limits. These spikes get worse the higher the power limit is and the components need to be able to deal with this. Your software will not pick up these spikes because you need professional sensitive equipment to record it

Associate
Hi all,

Bit lost.

Many thanks,

Luvvo
Yesterday the same thing happened to me as well. I watch your video and it is the same thing.D you have any progress so far? I contact the Asus and waiting for their response now.

Back
Top Bottom