Asus ROG Swift PG27UQ 4K IPS 144Hz G-Sync HDR

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
There were really only two top end LCD tvs of 2016, the KS9500 and the Panasonic DX902b, both with 512 zones of FALD, not to be mixed up with what most Curry's carried (KS8000 / KS9000 was most stores peak). In a colourful HDR scene they definitely outplayed the OLED, non HDR though would agree with you.

The thing is though we may get close to that in a monitor this year, but realistically OLED is not just around the corner, at least if you have a normal pay packet. Which is a pity considering Samsung have been making AMOLED screens for phones which kick arse since the S2, which I bought in 2011.
Ah fair enough, I saw the KS9000 I think it was :)

Let's see how they review. No doubt they will bring monitor tech forward, but my personal feeling is I would much rather wait a couple of years and spend big OLED.

Associate
do we have a release date yet? or is it a general Q3/4 2017?

Everything has been a finger in the wind so far from what I've read; people have said Q2 end of June / Q3 / Q4. Nothing concrete, all speculation from previous experience on showing it off from CES to store.

Associate
Everything has been a finger in the wind so far from what I've read; people have said Q2 end of June / Q3 / Q4. Nothing concrete, all speculation from previous experience on showing it off from CES to store.
bugger. super new tech from all angles though, delays are kinda expected

Associate
It's all but confirmed to be £2000 (near as anyway) from all released info so far, so keep dreaming lol. Given the spec, there is really no way it was ever going to be £1200 or close.

today I got my shiny new evga gtx 1080 ti ftw 3

on June as intel will release 7900x with rampage x299 will be delivered to my doors

and no i am not dreaming i will buy anyway if it will cost 2 grands, i got enough cash to spend on hard

it wasn't officially confirmed how much it will cost, only some Chinese representative 2 month ago unofficially said in interview with youtuber that it will be 2k that's all...

Only waiting is killing me hope it will be released very soon

Soldato
I'd want to be getting OLED before dropping mega money on something like this, I'll happy game @1440p/144hz for the next few years until monitors and GPU's get to be affordable I tried UHD 28" monitor it did look awesome but not enough to be worth so much money.

Associate
I would so like one of these.
But my old PG279Q ROG Swift still puts a smile on my face when gaming.
So, unless my PG279Q blows up , or the new one is so unbelievably amazing.
I will resist upgrading for the time being.

Permabanned
To those who review these for us you know who you are what do you think will be the relationship here between 1000nits and ULMB? The review done on tftcentral for the 240hz Asus monitor clearly shows that at 144hz you need some serious brightness for 144hz strobing. But you also need this for HDR gaming? HDR really is supposed to have a lot more than this monitors 1000 nits because you only get HDR certification for some of them at 1000+ i believe Dolby require more and actually i heard 4000nits is what they mastered some HDR at? the 4K HDR master of the film Chappie was mastered at 4000 nits no?

So is this going to cripple the performance? I am still going to buy this i think but i am doing some early thought processing on the pros and cons and HDR and ULMB just really twigged with me. This is even by the way if you can get ULMB at 144hz i would suspect you can as the 240hz Asus can do 144hz ULMB. I am not really interested in frame syncing on this monitor because if you choose this over Ultrawide you are buying one for the clarity and crispness so choosing anything but ULMB would actually make no sense because it is the second way to get the crispness alongside resolution.

If i wanted a frame limiting panel i would just buy the 240hz Asus panel and use Nvidia DSR to have 4K/240 motion blur reduction.

Associate
To those who review these for us you know who you are what do you think will be the relationship here between 1000nits and ULMB? The review done on tftcentral for the 240hz Asus monitor clearly shows that at 144hz you need some serious brightness for 144hz strobing. But you also need this for HDR gaming? HDR really is supposed to have a lot more than this monitors 1000 nits because you only get HDR certification for some of them at 1000+ i believe Dolby require more and actually i heard 4000nits is what they mastered some HDR at? the 4K HDR master of the film Chappie was mastered at 4000 nits no?

So is this going to cripple the performance? I am still going to buy this i think but i am doing some early thought processing on the pros and cons and HDR and ULMB just really twigged with me. This is even by the way if you can get ULMB at 144hz i would suspect you can as the 240hz Asus can do 144hz ULMB. I am not really interested in frame syncing on this monitor because if you choose this over Ultrawide you are buying one for the clarity and crispness so choosing anything but ULMB would actually make no sense because it is the second way to get the crispness alongside resolution.

If i wanted a frame limiting panel i would just buy the 240hz Asus panel and use Nvidia DSR to have 4K/240 motion blur reduction.

There are 2 professional monitors used for mastering HDR content. The sony BVM-X300 which is 30", OLED (full rgb not rgbw), 4k and 1000nits , and the Dolby Pulsar which is 42" lcd, 1080p, and has 4000 nits (it's liquid cooled by the way because the backlight gets it so hot). that's why at the moment some films are mastered at 1000nits and some at 4000nits.

by HDR certification you probably mean the UHD Premium branding from the UHD alliance, which allows you to put a UHD premium badge on your device (along with paying them a fee!). it specifies 2 levels, one for lcd (0.03 nits black, 1000nits bright) and oled (0.0005 nits black, 540 nits bright) along with 4k rez and 95% of the dci p3 colour gamut. TVs can reach this but not apply for the certification (like sony's high end sets).

So what happens when the content is mastered at a higher max brightness than the display can handle? tonemapping. The display will try and adjust the brightness levels knowing that the brightest it can get is say, 600 nits, and so scale everything a bit darker (LG OLEDS) so taht you dont lose detail in the brigghts. Or, it could just clip everything over 600 nits so that you dont lose brightness, but then you lose detail in the highlights (sonys new a1 oled tv). Unfortunately there's no standard so it's up to manufacturers. This is one reason why dolby vision's hdr is quite appealing, dolby maps it all to the display so in theory each display will display it the best it can. There's some great content out there about this, I recommend hdtvtest's youtube video on on tonemapping.

In terms of ULMB, in theory yes the the extra brightness should help, a lot. For the TVs that use it you can still get around 100+ nits when doing black frame insertion/backlight scanning at 120hz on the oleds, and they cant get to 1000 nit so yeh. You wont get hdr games working with ULMB on though.

Permabanned
There are 2 professional monitors used for mastering HDR content. The sony BVM-X300 which is 30", OLED (full rgb not rgbw), 4k and 1000nits , and the Dolby Pulsar which is 42" lcd, 1080p, and has 4000 nits (it's liquid cooled by the way because the backlight gets it so hot). that's why at the moment some films are mastered at 1000nits and some at 4000nits.

by HDR certification you probably mean the UHD Premium branding from the UHD alliance, which allows you to put a UHD premium badge on your device (along with paying them a fee!). it specifies 2 levels, one for lcd (0.03 nits black, 1000nits bright) and oled (0.0005 nits black, 540 nits bright) along with 4k rez and 95% of the dci p3 colour gamut. TVs can reach this but not apply for the certification (like sony's high end sets).

So what happens when the content is mastered at a higher max brightness than the display can handle? tonemapping. The display will try and adjust the brightness levels knowing that the brightest it can get is say, 600 nits, and so scale everything a bit darker (LG OLEDS) so taht you dont lose detail in the brigghts. Or, it could just clip everything over 600 nits so that you dont lose brightness, but then you lose detail in the highlights (sonys new a1 oled tv). Unfortunately there's no standard so it's up to manufacturers. This is one reason why dolby vision's hdr is quite appealing, dolby maps it all to the display so in theory each display will display it the best it can. There's some great content out there about this, I recommend hdtvtest's youtube video on on tonemapping.

In terms of ULMB, in theory yes the the extra brightness should help, a lot. For the TVs that use it you can still get around 100+ nits when doing black frame insertion/backlight scanning at 120hz on the oleds, and they cant get to 1000 nit so yeh. You wont get hdr games working with ULMB on though.

Correct on all points there fella it was indeed the Dolby Pulsar i was hinting at. But ULMB is the main point of the monitor for me i am not going to be nail biting to see if we indeed go to 500 nits but isnt 120 the minimum for viewing? I googled to see that 1 nit = 1 cmd/2 so yea 120 nits is a basic requirement at least nevermind the 500 for half decent HDR. Obviously its going to be a good monitor for movies but for gaming i am already seeing flaws in what is being touted as perfection eh?

If it were not for HDR and my need for a HDR screen for movies and games i would be considering selling my Eizo FG2421 for a 240hz and do 4K DSR on that and again wait for something else but waiting is a dangerous game too because it seems when you get addicted to 4K with no motion blur you are pretty damm spoiled and tend to turn your nose up at a lot of good monitors. I doubt though now after reading this back to myself if i could part with £1500 either.

For that price you could be doing surround 5780x1080 240hz or something crazy.

Associate
Correct on all points there fella it was indeed the Dolby Pulsar i was hinting at. But ULMB is the main point of the monitor for me i am not going to be nail biting to see if we indeed go to 500 nits but isnt 120 the minimum for viewing? I googled to see that 1 nit = 1 cmd/2 so yea 120 nits is a basic requirement at least nevermind the 500 for half decent HDR. Obviously its going to be a good monitor for movies but for gaming i am already seeing flaws in what is being touted as perfection eh?

If it were not for HDR and my need for a HDR screen for movies and games i would be considering selling my Eizo FG2421 for a 240hz and do 4K DSR on that and again wait for something else but waiting is a dangerous game too because it seems when you get addicted to 4K with no motion blur you are pretty damm spoiled and tend to turn your nose up at a lot of good monitors. I doubt though now after reading this back to myself if i could part with £1500 either.

For that price you could be doing surround 5780x1080 240hz or something crazy.

SDR movies are mastered at 100nits, normal viewing of an lcd is recommended at 120nits in a darkish room. a 1000nits monitor should have no problem doing 120nits in ULMB, but we just need to wait and see. FALD on a monitor is pretty great and short of getting an oled monitor, its probably going to have the best contrast we're gonna get in a monitor. I'm gonna wait and see the price and reviews, but in all likelihood its just gonna be too damn expensive.

Soldato
Ha, yeah, probably.

I'm still not convinced I could live with the PPI of this screen anyway, but I'm probably just telling myself that to justify my non-purchase. :o

I complete agree with you. A 4k 27" panel is quite horrible to use day in day out, way too high pixel density.

A 32" is the absolute smallest I'd consider for 4k.

Permabanned
I complete agree with you. A 4k 27" panel is quite horrible to use day in day out, way too high pixel density.

A 32" is the absolute smallest I'd consider for 4k.

You do realize here that the pixel density is needed right? They cant keep upping screen sizes with screen resolution otherwise 8K screens would be 40 inches minimum and £3000 at launch. Really what you should have said is the screen is suffering because there is no real scaling software for this. How do phones use 300ppi? Its not horrid is it no because they scale the fact is Chrome scaling sucks and Windows has no real 4K scaling either than does not suck. TLDR the problem is not the monitors its the people and software. :)

I also could not even get byond arms legnth on a 32 inch on a gaming desk, That just shows you how absurd a 32 inch monitor really is. They cant do anything apart from 27 inch.

Back
Top Bottom