Asus ROG Swift PG32UQX - 32" 4K, 144Hz, HDR-1400, G-Sync, 1152 Mini-LED zones

Associate
I have a 75" OLED, but it's a tiny bit tricky playing PC games on that...

Make no mistake, it's stupid expensive, no question. They can get away with charging that is there is literally no competition.
But a 55 or 65 OLED would be useless as there far to big and wouldn't fit on my computer desk

Yes true. However there's a 48 inch option, yes still too big but there are plans for a 42.

So did you buy one then?

Soldato
I have a 75" OLED, but it's a tiny bit tricky playing PC games on that...

Make no mistake, it's stupid expensive, no question. They can get away with charging that is there is literally no competition.

The PG32UQX won't sell well anyway. Within 6 months this monitor will be getting large discounts to get them off shelves and go EOL.

ASUS has released several other "gaming" monitors at this price range before and every one of them was gone very quickly

Associate
So, after a week with my new panel, my hot takes:

Pros:
  • Incredible colour and contrast - finally something that competes with my LG OLED TV for picture quality
  • No driver issues, no config faff, and no crashes (unlike my Samsung G9-owning friends)
  • 4K + DLSS + G-Synch really does compensate for the 2080Ti in really demanding games. I can just about have my cake and eat it!
  • No noticeable smearing or refresh issues. 144Hz is smooth and snappy.

Cons:
  • The halo'ing. Your mileage will always vary on this. I don't notice it at all in normal gaming (and I'm maining Destiny 2 at present which has whole dungeons themed around light and darkness, as well as space). Where it is painful is single-colour mid-dark shades like grey and brown. In reality, this only happens in calibration screens and Windows logon screens etc. In these situations, you can see the FALD zones as the cursor tracks across them.
  • The RGB! There are three zones with no granular control once the PC is off. I can fart around with Aura Synch (yet another RGB controller program, yay) while the PC is on, but all the LEDs stay on after power off, signalling its presence to my whole street. This is crap.
  • The scrolling ROG logo which I still haven't figured out how to replace.
  • The cost - the PQ is worth a lot - you will not beat this with any existing 32" panel (i.e. that you can realistically use as a 4K desktop monitor that stays on all day), but even then I feel it's £1000 over-priced.

All things considered, I don't change monitors often so I'm very happy with my purchase. I can't see anything on the near horizon that will beat this for my use case.

Soldato
Asus has always been terrible with rgb

whether it's a mobo, Gpu, monitor etc they are al bad

the problem is asus software or lack there of

Associate
If the RGB switched off when the monitor switched off it would be fine. I have no idea why they think it's useful to have it on while the monitor is doing nothing!

Man of Honour
If the RGB switched off when the monitor switched off it would be fine. I have no idea why they think it's useful to have it on while the monitor is doing nothing!
Surely that’s a setting. I no longer have the screen with me so can’t experiment but I don’t recall the RGB staying on when pc was off and screen entered standby

@PCM2 can you confirm as I know you’re currently reviewing the screen too?

Soldato

That's common for Asus, my Asus motherboard has rgb and an oled screen and the rgb flashes rainbow rgb all night long while the pc is in sleep and the oled screen has a flashing logo

do remember that your monitor is not actually off, it's in sleep mode only. If you want it off turn the power off at the wall

Soldato
Surely that’s a setting. I no longer have the screen with me so can’t experiment but I don’t recall the RGB staying on when pc was off and screen entered standby

@PCM2 can you confirm as I know you’re currently reviewing the screen too?

I can confirm the lighting does stay on when the monitor goes into standby (signal lost to system). This is something I've seen on quite a few models across various brands, though. And I actually recall somebody complaining about a model (I forget exactly which) where the light automatically went off when the signal was lost. As they wanted to use it as a 'mood light' without using the monitor.

Anyway, this is easily remedied by using the 'Power Off' feature instead of leaving the monitor in the higher power state standby.

Associate
Replaced the stand with a nice edge of desk mounted arm and I'm much happier with the position it is in now. Didn't realise how far forward the bundled stand pushes the screen until I replaced it. Also means the monitor can be slightly higher than the max the default stand gives, so my center speaker can now sit happily under the screen without hitting the rotary dial control..

Played some more HDR titles and am completely sold on it now - battlefront 2 was amazing with it, and you really can't notice blooming unless you actively look for it and even then it's not bad at all if the in-game HDR brightness is set correctly (still better than what an edge lit display would manage).

Soldato
Anyone had to return for any reason? I hope the silence about this monitor is a good thing, and people are just enjoying it, rather than they’ve all gone back and nobody wants to talk about it :D

Considering one of these, when they come back in stock.

Considering you can buy two 48inch OLED monitors or the one of the new 49inch G9 2000 zone mini LED and still have cash left over - I'd hazard a guess the quiet is that few people will buy this monitor. The monitor is a poor value proposition with its main audience being bid budget spenders who for some reason can't deal with anything over 32 inches and the reality people who can drop that much cash on a screen are not so limited by space

Associate
Anyone had to return for any reason? I hope the silence about this monitor is a good thing, and people are just enjoying it, rather than they’ve all gone back and nobody wants to talk about it :D

Considering one of these, when they come back in stock.

Quietly enjoying the use of mine. Have a workaround fix for my grey screen issues - modified the AMD drivers to use 10-140hz [EDIT: range needs to be 14-144hz as 10-140 does not activate Freesync] as the freesync range as it seems jumping as low as 1fps instantly to 144fps is whats triggering the grey screen with freesync so having it turn off for those extremes works without losing freesync where it matters.

I have had an OLED from 2016 as my living room TV so I get what people are saying on price and the drawbacks vs OLED, but I just don't want to sit that close to a massive screen. 32" is at the upper end of what I'm comfortable with so the 47"+ models are a no go. Plus this thing gets brighter than any OLED which makes HDR really pop.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Quietly enjoying the use of mine. Have a workaround fix for my grey screen issues - modified the AMD drivers to use 10-140hz as the freesync range as it seems jumping as low as 1fps instantly to 144fps is whats triggering the grey screen with freesync so having it turn off for those extremes works without losing freesync where it matters.

I have had an OLED from 2016 as my living room TV so I get what people are saying on price and the drawbacks vs OLED, but I just don't want to sit that close to a massive screen. 32" is at the upper end of what I'm comfortable with so the 47"+ models are a no go. Plus this thing gets brighter than any OLED which makes HDR really pop.

that conversely puts my off from having a 1500-2000 nit peak brightness screen. My pc is in the cupboard under the stars and sat 60-80cm from it I think my eyeballs would be scarred from using a screen like this. :p

Associate
I like mine. Zero problems with it so far. I bought two Neo G9's just to mess around with how they compare to this screen but they both arrived with cracked screens lol.

1440p wasn't going to cut it anyway.

Associate
Whoa, this is the first time I've ever experience image retention on an LCD before. I was listening to music played through my PC, stepped away for about an hour and a half. The PC turned off the DP input after 20 minutes, so then it auto switched over to HDMI input because my Denon receiver outputs an image of Spotify. So that static Denon Spotify image was up for over a little over an hour. I come back, start using the PC and I'm like uhh, what the heck is this faint image on my screen. I go to a solid grey color and I can still see the Denon Spotify image. I started to freak out. Of course you go to worse case and it's burnt it, but it took about 40 minutes to fully fade away.

Crazy..

Soldato
Whoa, this is the first time I've ever experience image retention on an LCD before. I was listening to music played through my PC, stepped away for about an hour and a half. The PC turned off the DP input after 20 minutes, so then it auto switched over to HDMI input because my Denon receiver outputs an image of Spotify. So that static Denon Spotify image was up for over a little over an hour. I come back, start using the PC and I'm like uhh, what the heck is this faint image on my screen. I go to a solid grey color and I can still see the Denon Spotify image. I started to freak out. Of course you go to worse case and it's burnt it, but it took about 40 minutes to fully fade away.

Crazy..

Because it's IPS. In your case it's just temporary image retention so it will eventually go away as you saw where as burn in is permanent

Ive had the same issue on my Acer predator IPS panel. I had this webpage open for 10 minutes and came back, closed the page and my screen had UFO's over it - took an hour to go away https://www.testufo.com/

The only LCD that is fully immune to burn in and image retention is a VA panel, IPS panel like this Asus monitor can get image retention

Back
Top Bottom