Asus Sabertooth Z170... Anybody got one ? Any good ?

tnx

tnx

Associate
Hi folks..

My Asus Sabertooth Z77 is working well, not really thought about changing out for owt newer butttttt.

My son is soon to be updating his Z170 and i7 6700K to a nice shiny Asus Z370 with a i7 8700K.
He tells me I can have his i7 6700K :eek:
Will be a nice upgrade from my i5 3570K.

So I was looking at boards and two jump out at me.

Asus Sabertooth Z170 Mark 1 or
Asus TUF Z270 Mark 1 ( Sabertooth in disguise )

Anybody have\has any of these boards and what do you think of them.

Trying to find the Z170 is proofing hard though. There is a "B" grade Z270 on OCUK for sale, tempted with that, nearly..

tnx

tnx

Associate
OP
Yep, know I will have to buy new RAM, and it ain't cheap these days.
As for the B Grade, sort of put off by not getting the box and all the accessories, I kind of like have the complete package. For some reason I tend to keep all the boxes from my PC bits.

Glad you liked yours, Clone... Shame you had to sell. Gunna keep my Z77 Sabertooth if I can lay my hands on a newer Z170\Z270.

I do know that for now he is holding firm onto his i7 6700K, been hearing a bit about the new chipset coming out soon. so he's waiting a bit.

Will still keep my eye out for a newer Sabertooth board though.

cheers for the info guys.

tnx

tnx

Associate
OP
What's he doing with his z170 board?

My son ? He has an Asus Pro gamer Z170.

He has never really like the board from day one. There was some sort of known glitch with RAM and overclocking, he would never hold the OC. This was only fixed quite recently by Asus with a new BIOS upgrade. I have been an eye on the new BIOS's for this board. In fact it was only last week I updated it, which did seem to fix this problem.

Not sure what he intends to do with it, never mentioned it. I would imagine he will keep it, save and sound in its box. He don't like ebay, buying or selling.

I am 63 posts away from seeing the "Trading" section on these forums... Cant wait for that to come round.

Associate
Do they make a good combo ? Are you into gaming ? is there a fancy GPU in the mix, RAM too ?

Yeah impressed so far.

8600k - 4.8ghz @ 1.236v
1080ti
G Skill 3200c14 2x8gb @ 3600c15 with tuned timings

On board audio on the Extreme4 is really nice, it's been very solid for overclocking the memory. Voltages are rock solid with LLC 1.

tnx

tnx

Associate
OP
Yeah impressed so far.

8600k - 4.8ghz @ 1.236v
1080ti
G Skill 3200c14 2x8gb @ 3600c15 with tuned timings

On board audio on the Extreme4 is really nice, it's been very solid for overclocking the memory. Voltages are rock solid with LLC 1.
Nice one. I have never played with an Asrock board, for some reason I stick with Asus and I don't really know why.

tnx

tnx

Associate
OP
Well, just ordered myself the Asus TUF Z270.

A brand new one from a decent online retailer. Sadly though OCUK were only selling a B grade so I had to go elsewhere.

Left the eBay ones alone, eBay sort of bugs me with sometimes not getting what you actually order. Says it's new but once arrived it is obvious it's not, then the seller says summet like it's only used for one month or similar. You know .

Cost, £158.

I know the Z270 is an oldish chipset now but knowing I will end up with a free i7 6700K not much point in buying a Z370 or even newer.

Also bought a little stick of RAM DDR4 2133 and a Kaby Lake Celeron just so I can get the board up and running, come Friday once it arrives.

Been 6 years or so since I bought new bits for myself.

Ohh yes, it come with a FREE all in one water cooler, Auraflow 240 rad. Yorkshire man loves out for nowt.

Excited.

tnx

tnx

Associate
OP
Nice looking board, and a good deal on the free cooler :cool:

Did you get just one stick of DDR4? Needs 2 to run in dual channel mode :)

I just bought myself one stick of 4gig. The cheapest I saw.

This purely just to get it up and running. Once my son upgrades and he gives me the i7 I will buy myself, probably 16 gig of 3200.

Thinking I may well put a couple of boards I have up for sale, maybe even my Z77 Sabertooth and the sale of these items should allow me to buy some decent RAM. We'll see.

tnx

tnx

Associate
OP
My bits came today, which is nice.

God it looks beautiful !!!

CPU in, RAM in, plugged in and into life it sprang. Brilliant.

Always makes me nervous switching a new build on for the first time, could easily all go wrong.

Just gotta make my mind up. Do I just leave it to one side till my son updates, which could be a while or sling it in my Obsidian 800D and use it as my main machine and see how it goes with only a Celeron with 4 gig of RAM.

Might just sling it my test rig in place of my other Z77 board.

Mmmmmmmm.

Still, this thing looks very pretty. Well happy with my purchase.

Back
Top Bottom