• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: ASUS STRIX AMD VEGA 64, under £450, interested?

Would you buy ASUS STRIX VEGA 64 UNDER £450 with FREE GAMES?

• HELL YES!

Votes: 80 53.7%
  • NO CHANCE!

Votes: 69 46.3%

• Total voters
OcUK Staff
Hi there

It is quite obvious deals are few and far between, seems stock is been eaten up and board partners are simply unwilling to do crazy deals as we've seen on past generations years ago.

So its a case of we have to take what seems reasonable.

As the Powercolor Devil VEGA 64 at £449 was such a big hit and is now nearly sold out, around 30 units left.

If I could get the Asus Strix OC Vega 64 at under £450 would this be of interest to those who have been hoping a great deal would appear?

When you combine the FREESYNC factor and AMD's game bundle I think personally this could be a good deal, but are people interested?

Associate
That would be a very good deal indeed.:)

The Vega cards are good cards with the ability to tweak without using other overclocking software that may interfere with performance.

Wattman is a very good tool for overclocking and combining that with the many Freesync monitors available is a good investment imo.

Soldato
It should be cheaper than the powercolor or the sapphire, these Asus cards are pretty poor, in cooling and the bios setup. Asus relying on their brand name but skimping on the finer details.

OcUK Staff
OP
It should be cheaper than the powercolor or the sapphire, these Asus cards are pretty poor, in cooling and the bios setup. Asus relying on their brand name but skimping on the finer details.

No they are not!
Strix beats the Sapphire for cooling and is on parr with the Devil.
Asus also has a 3yr advanced warranty through OcUK.

Associate
I have an Asus Strix 56 OC which I have overclocked to just over 1600 Mhz on the core.

The cooler handles that with ease. They are very good coolers.

Soldato

Yeah i believe so also.

However I do not know anyone other than @Boomstick777 having one to try some of the undervolting and overclocking settings posted few weeks backs. Because if it is the cooler then there are plenty of waterblocks for the Strix to pull the performance out of the chip :)

And personally I could grab one if thats the case for my upcoming AMD threadripper machine. So I wont have to keep the FuryX on my intel system.
Assuming it goes for £450ish.

OcUK Staff
OP
Yeah i believe so also.

However I do not know anyone other than @Boomstick777 having one to try some of the undervolting and overclocking settings posted few weeks backs. Because if it is the cooler then there are plenty of waterblocks for the Strix to pull the performance out of the chip :)

And personally I could grab one if thats the case for my upcoming AMD threadripper machine. So I wont have to keep the FuryX on my intel system.
Assuming it goes for £450ish.

One thing I note from that video review, the temps of the Strix are no higher than other coolers, but they have it running 200MHz slower, almost like they downclocked?
In their review the boost is around 1400MHz, yet the actual boost clock on the Strix is 1590MHz.

Maybe @Boomstick777 can comment in this thread on the boost clocks his card runs at and temps because that reviews seems very suspect in trying to show the Asus performing badly, yet what can be seen is its not running hot but running way below its advertised speeds.

Associate
Also the Asus card has a lower fan speed compared to the Powercolor while the Nitro has great cooling capabilities.

So could fan speed setup be better? Sure but the cooler is one of the best out there.

Soldato
One thing I note from that video review, the temps of the Strix are no higher than other coolers, but they have it running 200MHz slower, almost like they downclocked?
In their review the boost is around 1400MHz, yet the actual boost clock on the Strix is 1590MHz.

Maybe @Boomstick777 can comment in this thread on the boost clocks his card runs at and temps because that reviews seems very suspect in trying to show the Asus performing badly, yet what can be seen is its not running hot but running way below its advertised speeds.

Yeah, that is why asked boomstick777 to try the settings posted few days back, to see how it actually performs with downvolting and overclocking to 1600.
It could be buggy bios, and the issue the Strixx doesn't perform as it should, without going to Wattman :(

My GTX1080Ti Xtreme has this issue, and couldn't go over 1780. And Gigabyte release the F4 bios, where the card was working at it's normal speeds. 2021 overclock usually 1980s due to low fan speed. But nowhere near the 1780 when initially got the card.

OcUK Staff
OP
Yeah, that is why asked boomstick777 to try the settings posted few days back, to see how it actually performs with downvolting and overclocking to 1600.
It could be buggy bios, and the issue the Strixx doesn't perform as it should, without going to Wattman :(

Wattman is good, I like it anyway, not into aftermarket OC tools, so I like the Wattman. :)

Soldato
No they are not!
Strix beats the Sapphire for cooling and is on parr with the Devil.
Asus also has a 3yr advanced warranty through OcUK.

Gibbo this is what I mean by the way the p-states and the bios is configured, out the box they run way below the nitro and red devil v64.
There's also reviews showing how bad the heatsoak is from the power regulation and pcb temps. I have also seen a few posts with unhappy users and high temps on tis forum.

Back
Top Bottom