• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Asus TUF B450 and Ryzen 3600 No Display

Associate
I've just received the new components for a build I'm making for my son and its giving no display?

It's an Asus TUF b450 plus gaming motherboard and amd ryzen 5 cpu.

I've researched it a little and beleive it might mean the motherboard needs an update and that it can either be done via USB stick and flash bios updater or by sticking an older amd cpu in it... Which I don't have and really hoping I don't have to do :(

Any help would be appreciated!

Soldato
I've just received the new components for a build I'm making for my son and its giving no display?

It's an Asus TUF b450 plus gaming motherboard and amd ryzen 5 cpu.

I've researched it a little and beleive it might mean the motherboard needs an update and that it can either be done via USB stick and flash bios updater or by sticking an older amd cpu in it... Which I don't have and really hoping I don't have to do :(

Any help would be appreciated!

That board wont support a RyZen 3000 out of the box and as far as I can tell looking at the ASUS website, it doesnt have any bios Flashback feature, so your 2 choices are, get yourself a cheap 2nd gen CPU and use it to flash the bios on the board then sell the CPU on afterwards, or send the board back and get an MSI MAX motherboard which is the only B450 boards guaranteed to run RyZen 3000 CPU's out of the box, other than X570 of course.

Soldato
Find someone in your area of reach with a Zen or Zen+ cpu who you can visit for a brief moment for a flash. Im sure someone will lend a hand. Or go to the dealer and have them do it. I would be happy to help you but i live in Denmark so tough cookie.

Associate
OP
Associate
OP
That board wont support a RyZen 3000 out of the box and as far as I can tell looking at the ASUS website, it doesnt have any bios Flashback feature, so your 2 choices are, get yourself a cheap 2nd gen CPU and use it to flash the bios on the board then sell the CPU on afterwards, or send the board back and get an MSI MAX motherboard which is the only B450 boards guaranteed to run RyZen 3000 CPU's out of the box, other than X570 of course.
Thanks for confirming for me I appreciate it.

Soldato
This was one of the best B450 boards made.....if not one of the best, was the actual best, MSI re-released it recently with a larger bios chip and supports RyZen 3000 out of the box.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-b450-tomahawk-max-socket-am4-ddr4-atx-motherboard-mb-33t-ms.html

Just make sure if you do go for this board and decide to flash the bios on it in the future, you get the Tomahawk MAX bios, not the regular Tomahawk bios, they are both the same boards, one just has a different bios chip.

Associate
OP
Find someone in your area of reach with a Zen or Zen+ cpu who you can visit for a brief moment for a flash. Im sure someone will lend a hand. Or go to the dealer and have them do it. I would be happy to help you but i live in Denmark so tough cookie.
Thanks mate appreciate it, I've asked around but nobody has an old ryzen they are either Intel or older amds like the f.

Soldato
This asus 450 gaming is the micro atx I got this because I read the full sized one might be tight in the meshify c case

As long as its the standard Meshify C and not the mini one, it will fit fine, the mini one only support micro ATX boards.

If you are unsure though, you can always get this board instead: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-b450m-mortar-max-socket-am4-ddr4-matx-motherboard-mb-348-ms.html

Its exactly the same as the Tomahawk I linked earlier, just its little brother and micro ATX and still supports RyZen 3000 out of the box.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
find your board on the x470/b450 tier list. hint: it's near the bottom ;)

QWksJdB.png

I tried to make some sense of this. All the x470 boards start at £120+ (decent ones about £150) but theres a reason people go for the B450 is the boards are much cheaper. They are basically saying all b450s are 'lower end' .. which we already knew compared to the x470 and x570 offerings. What makes this more subjective is the small writing 'would require airflow for a highly clocked 2700x'.

Well firstly hes got a 3600 so not exactly the same cpu and secondly anyone overclocking should have good airflow - period. lol.

Back
Top Bottom