Asus Z170 Pro Gaming board, no longer working

Associate
Hi, this morning I went to turn on my pc, but was very confused to find my computer would power on for a second, then go off again, it was working last night and I havent done anything for it to do this, I have reseated the memory and my sound card and also removed the HDDs, and still not working, anybody have ideas?

My next thing to try is using another psu which i will hopefully try later today

Associate
OP
Ok, im unable to use my spare psu without removing my gpu (not enough connectors)
My current psu is a EVGA, i found the box and it includes some sort of 'tester' (Its just a bit of plastic jumping the connectors) The fan spins for a second and then goes off again, i think that means my psu is dead?

Soldato
Sounds like a dead psu ... If you short the 2 correct pins it fools the PSU into turning itself on, also known as the paperclip test.. Sounds like that's what that connector does without having to use a bent paperclip to do the same thing..

You could still try the other PSU and just don't plug the graphics power in. Even outside the case and just attach the motherboard power cables.
It should attempt to boot and will throw bios errors (not that you'd know if you don't have a bios speaker) if there's no graphics power plugged in.. But the PSU would still power up, and if it does then you know the other PSU is toast..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom