Asus Z77 Sabertooth or P8Z77-V PRO?

Associate
I will never be watercooling my GPUs so I think I would always benefit from ATX PCI spacing for my cards.

The only 'but' here is if I decide in a month or so to buy a HD 7970/50 which will do me fine as I only game on one monitor @ 1920 so I would then not need spacing for crossfire...

OcUK Staff
I will never be watercooling my GPUs so I think I would always benefit from ATX PCI spacing for my cards.

The only 'but' here is if I decide in a month or so to buy a HD 7970/50 which will do me fine as I only game on one monitor @ 1920 so I would then not need spacing for crossfire...

Well for single card this board is excellent. You need to decide your upgrade route I think.

Associate
This will be my first build. My current set-up I got second-hand. It was when taking it completely to pieces for cleaning (so much dust on 3-fan rad that temps dropped 15c afterwards) that I really wanted to build my own. My current case has zero cable management, so it's one massive mess of wires and tubes and the tubes could really do with cleaning again.

I just hope I can get a few quid for flogging it on.

At least I know the Gene clocks Sandy chips well if Ivy turns out to be too hot, too expensive or both.

All I have left to buy is a CPU.

Then, at some point, I have to get rid of my 5850s and change to a single GPU setup. For the time being the cards will just have to live cheek-to-face for a while.

Oh, and my Carbide 500r is a bit overkill for a m-atx board. But I'm not sending it back. I'll just enjoy the room.

Soldato
ahah. I built the rig Im using now its a mess of cables even though it has cable management :D I love putting things together and taking them apart hence why Ima self build again :p and Im hoping that there will be a revision of the IB chips (hope like hell) and since Im building my rig in June Im hoping for rumours if there will be :)

Soldato
Why are these Z77 boards so cheap?

I paid a fortune for my P6T deluxe V2 a few years ago. And X79 boards seem more expensive too. Why are these IB capable boards cheap? What am I missing?

I could by a SB chip board and RAM for less than £450

Associate
The Z77 boards are good value.

@Ollie1132 I changed to a fully modular PSU, took my entire PC to pieces, including the radiator and all the tubing, took all the fans out and completely cleaned it as good as new. Carefully put it back together and it still looks like an expensive bird's nest.

My new Corsair 500r has so much room for cable tidying I'm looking forwards to getting my motherboard so I can start plugging the various headers / fans in so I can start tidying the cables.

Soldato
I might get a z77 board for my 2500k. I'm going to stay away from 1st gen IB due to all the reports of heat and not very overclockable.

I don't think much of the Sabertooth board. All that plastic covering must restrict cooling and airflow to the motherboard.

Last edited:
Associate
Got myself the sabertooth and a few other parts coming tomorrow from OcUK, seemed it had the best overclocking potential out of the new z77 boards. Whether or not I needed to go z77 with SB is another issue :p

Seeing the heat on the chips (98c) at 4.4ghz+ and the price listed at about £280 on release for the 2600k eq, with roughly about 7-10% performance gain on the current SB chips. I figured I'd go SB with a decent board and RAM and try and get a good OC on the chip, managed to get a 2700k retial for £230 so pretty happy with that :)

Associate
I don't think much of the Sabertooth board. All that plastic covering must restrict cooling and airflow to the motherboard.

It has an additional tiny fan in the centre to deal with that ;)

I'm definitely going for the Sabretooth board, and Ivy Bridge when it arrives. I'm not hugely concerned by the unofficial IB benchmarks as I'm upgrading from an Athlon 64 X2 4200! I think I'll notice a subtle difference in performance :D

OcUK Staff
Got myself the sabertooth and a few other parts coming tomorrow from OcUK, seemed it had the best overclocking potential out of the new z77 boards. Whether or not I needed to go z77 with SB is another issue :p

Seeing the heat on the chips (98c) at 4.4ghz+ and the price listed at about £280 on release for the 2600k eq, with roughly about 7-10% performance gain on the current SB chips. I figured I'd go SB with a decent board and RAM and try and get a good OC on the chip, managed to get a 2700k retial for £230 so pretty happy with that :)

Guys I know I say a lot about the ASUS Maximus V gene but I have the Sabre and the Gene. With the same hardware The gene Clocks better and performs better at stock. The Sabre is a good performer dont get me wrong. The gene has been tuned for the enthusiast by true enthusiasts this translates into better clocking for the everyday users and improved overall stability. Can I ask who has said the Sabretooth is the best clocking Z77 and where is the evidence??

I am not having a go at all thats a fine purchase and board.

Back
Top Bottom