Asus Z77 Sabertooth or P8Z77-V PRO?

Associate
Hey,

As title says, I'm going to be getting one of the two board mentioned for my Ivy Bridge build.

The Sabertooth looks lovely with its armour casing but on the Asus comparison the PRO looks like it has more features.

I like the look of the Sabertooth but am I losing anything of worth? Ultimately looks are secondary, features, overclockability and stability are my top priorities.

Any thoughts would be appreciated :)

Soldato
I believe the Asus Sabertooth has about the same features as the P8Z77-V Pro. Im having the same dilemma currently to be honest. I think they both overclock quite well but Im waiting until the end of June to decide between SB/IB. Atm the biggest problem Im worried about is the heat the chips give off but that might be due to the heat reading software etc.

Associate
OP
most of the differences I could see on the comparison were software related which im not interested in but the board do seem to have a different power phase design which is what i wondered would make a difference to stability/overclocking potential.

Soldato
Don't think it really does. Youd have to research a bit more into it. But they are both high quality boards made for OC'ing so pretty sure they will be quite stable for OC builds.

Soldato
I will never understand our forums. You all love hideous looking hardware :p Each to there own.

From a technical point of view Both of these will clock in a similar fashion there's probably little in it. Except the odd extra USB header or port.

And the memory frequency on the V pro has up to 2600Mhz support and wireless built in

Permabanned
Love the sabertooth board but i'm also waiting till round summer time before taking the plunge, have you looked at the Asrock z77 fatality boards? they look awesome, pitty overclockers don't stock em yet but i'm sure they will.

Associate
OP
yeah it does look clean, im only really interested in Asus boards as I've owned various manufacturers boards over the years and always seem to come back to them for their stability

cheers for your help guys

OcUK Staff
Can I throw the ASUS Maximus V Gene into the mix. Those who think the Sabretooth can clock like the Gene are wrong in terms of both DRAM and CPU clocking. The Gene is stable as a rock too.

Last edited:
Associate
Currently waiting on an Asrock Extreme4. Due to delays in stock I have been tempted to cancel and go for Asus Gene V. However, I currently crossfire and the board just leaves no space between cards.

Will that hugely impact on temp of top card?

Soldato
Can I throw the ASUS Maximus V Gene into the mix. Those who think the Sabretooth can clock like the Gene are wrong in terms of both DRAM and CPU clocking. The Gene is stable as a rock too.

The one problem with the Gene is m-ATX a lot of people prefer ATX. Like I do for example more space on the board to work with.

OcUK Staff
Currently waiting on an Asrock Extreme4. Due to delays in stock I have been tempted to cancel and go for Asus Gene V. However, I currently crossfire and the board just leaves no space between cards.

Will that hugely impact on temp of top card?

Crossfire works very well I have tested 7970 Xfire but I am not sure about temps as I am on water cooling.

OcUK Staff
The one problem with the Gene is m-ATX a lot of people prefer ATX. Like I do for example more space on the board to work with.

To do what with though or just space???? If you need more slots etc thats fine but just having space for the sake of it seems pointless. You need trifire etc I can see how this board would not be for you as it simply does not support. But you want a monster clocker for two card or single card use then it is excellent.

Back
Top Bottom