Asus Z97 ROG Motherboards

Caporegime
I think the Impact was released later last time because iirc it was one of the few boards unaffected by the USB chipset bug as all of the Impact had the new revision from day 1, so it might not be released right away?

Caporegime
I think the Impact was released later last time because iirc it was one of the few boards unaffected by the USB chipset bug, so it might not be released right away?
Quite possible as when i bought my formula, a few users on here asked me to check if it was the rev 2 model, on which the usb bug had been fixed. The impact came out pretty late on in the Z87 range.

Caporegime
The gene is just the board I'm looking for. Now just need prices of these and the refreshed Haswells.
If your going for the Gene and wishing to use an i7 cpu, best waiting until the updated devils canyon chip is out next month. Better thermal paste than the current haswell chips. Iirc the refresh in a few weeks time are locked chips with the same bad paste job as current models.

Soldato
If your going for the Gene and wishing to use an i7 cpu, best waiting until the updated devils canyon chip is out next month. Better thermal paste than the current haswell chips. Iirc the refresh in a few weeks time are locked chips with the same bad paste job as current models.

Yeah I meant the ones out in June (Devils canyon then?) K series cpu's as I want to try some over clocking, Likely be an i5.

Caporegime
NDA expires this Sunday so boards should be able to buy on Monday? as well as the locked versions of the Haswell revision.

Associate
As I understand the hero has LED lighting under the cpu. Higher build quality components leading to better cooling and fps. I'm not sure if it's really that much of a boost to warrant the extra money though?? Hence my post fishing for some kind of techie response :)

Associate
whats the difference between the two?

Part of what makes Ranger cheaper than Hero is slightly reduced power circuitry. Whereas the Maximus VII Hero has a full 8-phase design, the Ranger has four shared PWM drivers, eight MOSFET drivers for voltage control, paired with eight chokes and capacitors. Another difference between Ranger and Hero is the lack of red LED lighting beneath the chipset heatsink.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/motherboards/2014/05/11/z97-motherboard-group-tests/3

Associate
Back
Top Bottom