At the end of my rope with this pc!

Soldato
So a few months ago I pulled the trigger on some upgrades and the system has been running flawlessly until fairly recently.

I started getting stuttering in games, frame rate drops and on one occasion artefacts! I naturally assumed my GPU is on it's way out but am wanting to be certain before RMA'ing the card.

I've tested my GPU vigorously running Furmark for over 7hrs with a +500 memory clock without issue.

I've run Memtest86 overnight without issue.

My NVME, SSD & HDD are all okay.

I've updated BIOS and all drivers.

Used the below overclocking guide.

GPU temps have never been above 80c!

The PC was running fine, dialled back some game settings and saw a huge boost in frame rates, still some stuttering though on occasion.

Which brings me to today. While playing games I've noticed screen tearing, despite having gsync enabled.

More frustratingly, I've had 3 random restarts, 2 system hangs and failure to post that I needed to clear the cmos to get back and have reset the bios with optimized defaults.

I feel literally at the end of my rope now!

Any and all suggestions as to what else could be going on are welcome!

Last edited:
Soldato
If you have tested GPU and Memory specifically then maybe the MoBo is at fault? Have you tried with a different PSU as power delivery could be a problem.

It could still be the GPU. Mine is fine OCed +600 on everything apart from WH TW 2. As soon as i run that games benchmark i get artifacts everywhere.

Soldato
OP
So I've noticed one potential problem I'd overlooked, my cpu temperatures are not that great at all!

I noticed after an hour of Aida64 with the overclock I'd hit max temps of 95c, so I reverted to stock and after 5 minutes of the stress test I was seeing max temps of 84c, fluctuating between the high 60's and mid 80's across all cores!

This is on a 360mm Be Quiet! Silent loop with 3 high speed silent wing 3's! With fans set at 100% speed! Best check that thermal paste as that really doesn't seem right.

Associate
So I've noticed one potential problem I'd overlooked, my cpu temperatures are not that great at all!

I noticed after an hour of Aida64 with the overclock I'd hit max temps of 95c, so I reverted to stock and after 5 minutes of the stress test I was seeing max temps of 84c, fluctuating between the high 60's and mid 80's across all cores!

This is on a 360mm Be Quiet! Silent loop with 3 high speed silent wing 3's! With fans set at 100% speed! Best check that thermal paste as that really doesn't seem right.
It could be an air lock, check the radiator is actually warm. If not they pick up the case and move it around. My friend put his case upside down and it fixed his issue with an air lock

Soldato
OP
Everything has been reverted to stock, even xmp is disabled.

The issues while gaming still persist.

However I'm now wondering if I'm getting these issues because my cpu is over heating? If I'm hitting the mid 80's in under 5 minutes of load I maybe going much higher while gaming for any length of time?

Soldato
OP
I don't have a air cooler available, but shouldn't be a problem. I'm going to have to wait a few days as I'm visiting the in laws till Friday. But I'm going to reapply the thermal paste and see about topping up the silent loop as I've seen people recommend. If that doesn't help I'll try a different cooler.

I've got a new case the P600s, to swap over to from dark base 900 pro so guess I can make a project of it...

Soldato
pump set on 100% all the time with fans connected to CPU header ?

As mentioned, don't combine MCE and manual overclocking. MCE is a great way to firstly see if your chip can handle 5ghz across all cores with more voltage then you would manually .

secondly great if your not wanting to manually overclock yourself .

china factory for alphacool has been known to under fill sometimes but you can normally here it, if thats the case

Soldato
OP
@orbitalwalsh

Yeah pump is set at 100% permanently, the fans are connected to the cpu header, I even set those to 100% after noticing the high temps initially. Still hitting the mid 80's in under 5 minutes of Aida64 at stock.

I haven't enabled MCE since reverting to optimised defaults and before updating the bios.

Soldato
only thing i can think of is poor mount some how, but if moving into new system , guessing you'll be able to have another crack at it .

since cores upped in numebrs now, I tend to spread paste rather then do small blob in middle ( felt odd doing this now) .

also tightening screws in opposite directions etc - and as you say, worth a little top up with deionised water

Caporegime
win 10 you want for gaming to be on 1803 massive performance differences over other builds also less stutter in many games.
gpu drivers can causes this.
remount your cpu cooler.
i9s do run hot. thats normal.

Soldato
Is your cooler actually working? Specifically, is the pump working and is there sufficient fluid left in the cooler?
If "water" cooler's pump wasn't working/coolant circulating then temps would skyrocket even at idle without any stress testing.
So I think we can outrule that.

have to stick your ear to the thing or pinch tubes a little but worth doing
Isn't it easier to just compare how warm tubes are?
If coolant is circulating properly, one should be warmer than other, because there's cooler liquid flowing through it.

Back
Top Bottom