1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Dismiss Notice

athlon 64 skt754 chips - any good?

Discussion in 'CPUs' started by DeeJay-Mo, 24 May 2006.

1. DeeJay-Mo

Hitman

I'm still deciding on what to get for a bedroom htpc/gaming rig.
    Now I'm thinking about going for one of those socket 754 Shuttles with a Athlon 64 skt754 chip.
    Are these chips any good?
    How come Overclockers only sells the Sempron in 754?

2. Mikey1280

Wise Guy

754 has been phased out, wouldnt bother investing in old technology tbh, go for 939, its not that much more expensive

3. ajgoodfellow

Capodecina

Athlon 64 CPUs on Socket 754 got phased out some time ago so I'd go for Socket 939 over that

If you're bulding a new PC though I'd get an AM2 PC at this stage

4. pastymuncher

Man of Honour

754 has not been phased out and will be around for a year longer than 939 actually. Presumably because of the Mobile cpu's using 754. There are Venice 3000+ cpu's now and listed on AMD's website are also venice 3200+ cpu's.

Granted, if building a new rig it would be better to go for AM2 or wait to see what Conroe is like, but there is still life left in 754 yet.