• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

ATi 2600/2400 Series Reviews/Benchies

Soldato
With the NDA being lifted today on reviews from what I've heard, this should be a good thread to get a few reviews/benchies up and see just how these are performing. Anandtech have there review up techpowerups should be up soon. Gibbo if you pop in this thread can you let us know when these will be up for preorder/sale. Cheers. Not looking bad at all these cards and a priced very competitively :)

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3023

sid

sid

Soldato
Tom|Nbk said:
With the NDA being lifted today on reviews from what I've heard, this should be a good thread to get a few reviews/benchies up and see just how these are performing. Anandtech have there review up techpowerups should be up soon. Gibbo if you pop in this thread can you let us know when these will be up for preorder/sale. Cheers. Not looking bad at all these cards and a priced very competitively :)

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3023

they look pretty pathetic but yes it will depend on the price. But even then performance is similar to £50 gfx which is hardly what they will be priced at.

I can see these spamming pre built pcs touting DX10 graphics lol. Another step backwards for pc gaming if you ask me.

sid

Soldato
OP
sid said:
they look pretty pathetic but yes it will depend on the price. But even then performance is similar to £50 gfx which is hardly what they will be priced at.

I can see these spamming pre built pcs touting DX10 graphics lol. Another step backwards for pc gaming if you ask me.

sid

They are going to be priced at £50 or around that

See this link (Warning INQ) - http://www.theinq.com/default.aspx?article=40631

AMD pricing update last week, and now there are not many models above the $100 mark. Actually, there are none - a 65 nanometre attack in combination with conservative performance resulted in a great price offerings.

Also your wrong with the pre built pc's comment aswell, ATi have all the OEM's ready and waiting for these. Pretty pathetic to the enthusiasts though, but im glad there getting something out.

Soldato
OP
Cheers for those links, it was starred out because its a competitor. Just been reading through a few reviews the cards are quite a bit cheaper than the 8600/8400 offerings but do fall behind quite a bit, two 2600s in Crossfire should be a nice cheap solution though and we all know how well crossfire scales atm :D

sid

sid

Soldato
Tom|Nbk said:
They are going to be priced at £50 or around that

See this link (Warning INQ) - http://www.theinq.com/default.aspx?article=40631

Also your wrong with the pre built pc's comment aswell, ATi have all the OEM's ready and waiting for these. Pretty pathetic to the enthusiasts though, but im glad there getting something out.

how am I wrong with that comment, what you've said it pretty much what i've said, Being the cheapest Dx10 compatible gfx means they will be in dell/HP pcs touting dx10 graphics.

sid

Associate
Looking a bit crappy. To reiterate what Anandtech said slightly, it's odd ATI didn't capitalise on the gap between the 8600 and the 8800.

It's also quite disappointing that ATI have released something in the mid-low end that is consistently worse than the 8600/8500/8400 cards. I guess it's good that they at least have something out for a nice low price.

I'm just waiting for someone to blame this on drivers or something now. Where's that psychas fellow? He always produces the most enjoyable posts regarding ATI.

Soldato
OP
sid said:
how am I wrong with that comment, what you've said it pretty much what i've said, Being the cheapest Dx10 compatible gfx means they will be in dell/HP pcs touting dx10 graphics.

sid

Sorry, It seems I read your post wrong :)

Caporegime
I think its pretty shoddy of Anandtech to couple the low-end DX10 parts with C2D Extreme X6800 test systems, I mean who would buy that kind of system and lumber it with a mid-low range GFX part?

Should be tested with mid-range hardware tbqfh.

Performance seems poor to me, bearing in mind the ONLY advantage to these cards over previous generation ones is DX10 instruction sets, they aren't actually powerful enough to render DX10 at decent speeds anyway. So why would anyone opt for one over say an X1950PRO?

Soldato
OP
paradigm said:
I think its pretty shoddy of Anandtech to couple the low-end DX10 parts with C2D Extreme X6800 test systems, I mean who would buy that kind of system and lumber it with a mid-low range GFX part?

Should be tested with mid-range hardware tbqfh.

Performance seems poor to me, bearing in mind the ONLY advantage to these cards over previous generation ones is DX10 instruction sets, they aren't actually powerful enough to render DX10 at decent speeds anyway. So why would anyone opt for one over say an X1950PRO?

A pair of 2600XT's will be quite a bit faster than the X1950PRO CF afaik. They will also be a little bit cheaper I think?.

EDIT : http://we.pcinlife.com/thread-786552-1-1.html - More benchies.

Last edited:
Associate
Tom|Nbk said:
A pair of 2600XT's will be quite a bit faster than the X1950PRO CF afaik. They will also be a little bit cheaper I think?.
Would they? If you look at the hothardware review the X1950 Pro CF kills X2600 XT CF. In fact, the 1x X1950 Pro frequently beats X2600 XT CF. :/

Caporegime
I doubt that highly to be honest, taking the performance of a single X1950PRO in Battlefield 2 for example, 1600x1200 with no AA nets 88.4FPS, a single HD 2600XT nets a staggering 59.9.

Even in a crossfire setup against a single X1950PRO, the HD 2600's would only just creep ahead, crossfiring the X1950's would annhialate the HD's.

Furthermore bear in mind that prices across the pond on release are usually $ = £ rather than $ converted to £, and that would put the HD 2600's in at around £120, £10-15 more than the X1950PRO.

Neither cheaper nor faster IMO.

Soldato
OP
Personally I'd only get one for HDTV/HD Encoding and to put in a HTPC, they are very good at this and obviously this is the only reason I would ever get one. Game performance plainly sucks.

Last edited:
Soldato
waiting for the hardocp review before i pass judgement.

will add the power consumption on these cards is up there with the 8600 so thats good.

Last edited:
Soldato
Tom|Nbk said:
Personally I'd only get one for HDTV/HD Encoding and to put in a HTPC, they are very good at this and obviously this is the only reason I would ever get one. Game performance plainly sucks.

should be ok to play games on at 1360x768

Soldato
Reading quite a few reviews about today and I must admit I am underwhelmed.

I was expecting the HD26900xt to be at least as quick as a 8600GTS which itself was slated for mediocre performance.

Guru3d's review at least pointed out that the HD2400XT would make an excellent HTPC card due to its UVD processor however the HD2600XT performance was to put it nicely shoddy compared to even the 8600GT (Which can be had for under £80 on OCUK anyway).

In a couple of tests on techpowerup (god their forums are full of fan boys / twits) it was slower than a 7300GT.

I would imagine this is down to drivers but you would have at least thought ati would have learned from the HD2900XT launch to get the drivers at least half right.

If these drivers are optimized then damn the HD2600xt really is dissapointing.

Soldato
paradigm said:
Furthermore bear in mind that prices across the pond on release are usually $ = £ rather than $ converted to £, and that would put the HD 2600's in at around £120, £10-15 more than the X1950PRO.

Neither cheaper nor faster IMO.

Speed I agree with you price on the other hand is very much closer than you seem to think, 256MB DDR4 800/2200 2600XT's are around for £83 inc. VAT. I think that's pretty resonable if the drivers improve. However I'd still go for the X1950Pro If I were a gamer on a budget. :)

Back
Top Bottom